Today I Learnt...

ninjacoco

puffalump? inquire here!
DONOR
Car(s)
'10 Lulzcer GTS, '84 Porschelump 944, '71 VW 411
Uhm, don't you bend it all the way to let the chocolate open the seam?
I do! It pops open like magic. That was just the first video I found that sorta did it.

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
TIL that people who can read Chinese can actually read a lot of Japanese as long as it’s written in hanzi/kanji.

I had caught on to the fact that you can decipher some Japanese place names if you know a few hanzi, the best example being Beijing/Nanjing/Dongjing (Tokyo):
北京 = Northern Capital
南京 = Southern Capital
东京/東京 = Eastern Capital
If you’re wondering about the Western Capital, that would be 西京 which would sound terrible, so it’s 西安 (Xi’an) instead.
This also works for Matsuyama and Songshan, both are written as 松山 which means “pine mountain”.

But for some reason, probably because most Japanese text that I see includes kana, I thought that you actually need the kana to write Japanese. But TIL that ain’t necessarily so :mrgreen: and that the similarities are still big enough to make Japanese texts legible for the Chinese (and presumably vice versa).

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
My house n
TIL that you shouldn't use aluminium valve caps on steel rims. I hope that all my friend (yes, friend, I don't own - I rent) had to buy was new valves. :-|

My house address numbers are aluminum. To mount them, they brazed steel posts to the back. which get pushed into plastic wall anchors. There's corrosion spreading from those posts, turning my black powder-coat numbers white/clalky.

GRtak

Forum Addict
Senator Patrick Leahy is in several Batman movies.

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them

GRtak

Forum Addict
Trump would have loved the show!

Misrabelle

Got Vegemite?
DONOR
Car(s)
03 Ford Falcon BA XR6, '79 XD Falcon S
She's facing charges over it. They just got announced as support for the Tool tour in Europe, but she may have just, er, pissed that away.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack B8
Fitting name... Sophia Urista.