Today I Learnt...

TIL that Kirsten Dunst (of all people) recorded a cover version of and filmed a video for Turning Japanese by The Vapors.

And seriously wish I hadn't and neither had she.

Fortunately the original worked as effectively as any Brain Bleach....

Fun Fact: Edward Bazalgette, lead guitarist of The Vapors, turned to television directing and, among other work, also has a few episodes of "Doctor Who", including the last Christmas Special, under his belt.

Interestingly, he's not the only punk guitarist who turned to TV directing: The Slits' Viv Albertine also had a successful run as a freelance director in the nineties, before becoming a suburbian home-maker and only lately reemerging as an author and singer-songwriter.

Reactions: MWF
Today I Learnt...

Teflon works, you just have to put on the opposite rotation of how your pipe goes on. Pipe dope is good but it gets everywhere if you're careful.

TIL, when plumbing, skip the Teflon tape and go straight to the pipe dope. Would have saved me at least 8 hours...

Plumbing, proof that God had a reason for creating the Polish....

God I hate plumbing, why are there 16 different sizes for everything in 7104 different combinations except the one you need? And why do I need to be a contortionist to get under a fucking kitchen sink?

There's a very small leak on a pipe in the kitchen, like very small, 3 drops a day small, it's current status is : 'has small receptical under it, repair parts have been aquired and are on stand by if problem worsens, problem no longer acute, expected to remain at current status for immediate future.'

Last edited:
clearly, you need even more teflon tape! :p
Guilty, didn't fix it... That's when I did the sensible thing and did research on the intertubes.
Plumbing, proof that God had a reason for creating the Polish....

God I hate plumbing, why are there 16 different sizes for everything in 7104 different combinations except the one you need? And why do I need to be a contortionist to get under a fucking kitchen sink?

There's a very small leak on a pipe in the kitchen, like very small, 3 drops a day small, it's current status is : 'has small receptical under it, repair parts have been aquired and are on stand by if problem worsens, problem no longer acute, expected to remain at current status for immediate future.'
Plumbing is my least favorite of all the trades. I'd rather hang drywall and I really hate that...

TIL about semantic satiation .

Many times I have been working on a flyer or logo and read the same word over and over while I changed fonts or styles. After awhile I couldn't really recognize the word as a word, just a jumble of letters. Now I know is a real thing and I'm not quite as crazy as I thought.

Last edited:
Today I learned that stepping hard on the throttle in a RWD car with 421 HP in a righthand corner while it's raining, isn't a good idea :p

Now I know what fishtailing means :D

Today I learned that stepping hard on the throttle in a RWD car with 421 HP in a righthand corner while it's raining, isn't a good idea :p

Now I know what fishtailing means :D

It had to happen at some point, best get it out of the way and learn from it. :lol: