Today I Learnt...

TIL that, contrary to what Top Gear would have us believe, the Jensen Interceptor was used by one of the main protagonists in a 70s adventure series, namely by Robert "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." Vaughn as Harry Rule in ?The Protectors.

i037293.jpg

contrary to what Top Gear would have us believe
You say that not everything Top Gear told us is factually true? My beliefs are shattered... :?

:p

Last edited:
Shush! We promised we weren't going to tell anyone!

Today I learnt that Harrods used electric vans to deliver goods to people in the 50s.
harrods_e-deliveryvans1200x590.jpg

http://evworld.com/focus.cfm?cid=373

Apparently these were all built before the war, and continued to be used afterwords. I wish I knew more.

here is another one, the 1902 lohner-porsche

lohner-porsche_semper_vivus_1900_04.jpg

they didn't have batteries though, just an engine combusting to make electricity, and an electric engine to drive the wheels...

TIL that "civil protection facilities" (commonly, but erroneously called "nuclear bunkers") were even more pointless than I had imagined. Not only would there not have been much left to return to once the time to leave the place came, but the one I visited today also took two weeks to be prepared for the aftermath of an attack.

Better to give the illusion of survival in that kind of situation than to make things much worse should the unimaginable happen by causing mass panic.

Same reason "Duck and Cover" was invented I guess.

Imagine the alternative in the event of a false alarm. Hundreds if not thousands would be killed or injured needlessly. In the case of a full-blown, M.A.D. situation of course any reaction by the populous would be pretty much irrelevant.

TIL that "emancipated duels" used to be a thing!
(check google - but not during workhours)

TIL that there is such a thing as brushing your teeth too vigorously. I've had terrible toothaches for weeks and after exhausting (possibly) all other options, I did a bit of reading on the proper use of my electric toothbrush. Turns out I must have been pushing the brush far too hard against my teeth which causes irritation. :rolleyes:

Relevant LTT

Eye-Q;n3548645 said:
TIL that there is a PC game "PC Building Simulator"... :lol:

There is also now a game called Rolling Line that lets you build a MODEL TRAIN LAYOUT. You also get the option to 'explore' the towns built with the option to use VR. The comments on the reddit thread is pathetic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/modeltrains..._is_out_today/

We really are heading to this future.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/pic.armedcats.net\/c\/ct\/ctn91\/2018\/04\/28\/TheGreatestGift.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
TIL that a bicycle rear light can mend itself... :think:

Thursday after work I noticed that the rear light didn't light when I came home (the light has an afterglow mode). I checked if current was flowing at the end of the wire (it did) and re-wired the light, but to no avail. On Friday I cycled in the night so I put my accu powered rear light on and planned on returning the rear light to the shop I bought it from on Saturday, I bought it in March so it worked for just three months by then. Today when I came home from another ride I noticed the afterglow worked again so the light had to have worked while cycling as well...

TIL that the @ symbol is officially called an asperand and that one of the former names of the hash(tag) symbol is the octothorpe, allegedly named for its eight points and Jim Thorpe, the first Native American to win Olympic Gold for his country.