Today I Learnt...

"If I could take 200 tribbles and then craft them into a fine bathrobe, I would."

Kind of a stupid question, but what would be a good starting point for someone who has never really watched Star Trek?

Kind of a stupid question, but what would be a good starting point for someone who has never really watched Star Trek?

There's guides out there, but I'd find one of the abbreviated guides to The Next Generation, a few episodes of The Original Series, then watch most of DS9, skip Voyager (really, please do), Enterprise, and mix in the movies in order and I think you'd be a full blown Trekkie.

I liked Voyager. :dunno:

The Den of Geek has guides on which episodes are essential to which series. To get into Star Trek, you also have to keep in mind what to expect.

- The Original Series from the 60s is very much a television adventure format. Little continuity, little storytelling, a lot of hippie ideals but a lot of whacko ideas. Very inconsistent quality of writing.
- Original cast movies are simple - watch the even numbered ones, skip the odd ones.
- The Next Generation is bright, optimistic, spandex-clad. Some brilliant episodes, but also some crap ones. Continuity and "canon" become a thing. A lot of trust in technology means that deep ethical dilemmas are often solved through technological hand-waving.
- TNG movies are simple - skip all except for First Contact
- DS9 moves both into serialized storytelling mode as well as looking at the darker side of the Star Trek universe - even in a utopia, there still is realpolitik, secret services and deep ethical dilemmas that can't be solved with the waving of a hand. My personal favorite.
- Voyager tries to move back to a TNG vibe, but mostly is a set of missed oppurtunities due to awful behind the scenes decisions. It seems like Rick Berman is an awful human being without any understanding of how TV and/or Star Trek works.
- ENT, the prequel series, is better than people give credit for. I'd rather not watch it first since it draws a lot of it's appeal from the viewer knowing what will come later.
- The same has to be said about Discovery, currently in it's third season, which is set between TNG's unaired first and second pilot. From my point of view it's the strongest Trek series since DS9, but it also profits massively from the viewer knowing about key Star Trek concepts and plot points.
- Finally Picard. I have not watched last night's season finale but so far I enjoyed it massively. It's moving TNG into a "premium streaming tv serial" world, and is surprisingly successful with it, while still not being TNG.

I liked Voyager. :dunno:
I watched all of it. Much preferred it after Kes was written out, character never really worked for me.

If you're only going to watch one episode of Voyager then Message on a Bottle would be the one. It's brilliant and also hilarious.

Be careful tweeting at the FBI -

Stay classy Michigan, stay classy.

The street address in the second screenshot is on “S. Keystone Court” in Clinton Township, MI. While I can’t find that on Google Maps, I did find South Keystone Way. It’s in a trailer park... why am I not surprised?

fancy trailer if it has a basement to hide the bombs :D

Of course the bloke who bought it is defending his purchase.

Mr Hall said his remarks in Glastonbury Town Council's 5G Advisory Committee report should not be seen as a recommendation to buy the product.

But he had no regrets about buying it and since plugging it in had felt beneficial effects, including being able to sleep through the night and having more dreams.

"I also felt a 'calmer' feel to the home," he told BBC News.

And he had thought the company might be able to develop a system that could offer protection to the whole town of Glastonbury against the effects of radiation from electromagnetic fields.

Bloody fruit cakes. :LOL:

"Through a process of quantum oscillation, the 5GBioShield USB key balances and re-harmonises the disturbing frequencies arising from the electric fog induced by devices, such as laptops, cordless phones, wi-fi, tablets, et cetera," it adds.
A search in Companies House shows the two directors of BioShield Distribution are Anna Grochowalska and Valerio Laghezza.

Both of them appear to have been involved previously in a business called Immortalis, which sells a dietary supplement called Klotho Formula.

Its website - rather similar in design to that of the BioShield - says Klotho Formula uses a "proprietary procedure that leads to relativistic time dilation and biological quantum entanglement at the DNA level".

:lmao: