Top Garden Ground Gear Force [March 14th, 2008]

Top Garden Ground Gear Force [March 14th, 2008]

• Total voters
I would also suggest that as it was for Charity, they wouldnt have had the budget or time to refine anything. I wouldnt have been suprised if they basically turned up and thought about it all on the day.

Again, i did enjoy it as a piece of slap stick. There were some nice layered jokes aswell (background happenings, different jackets,random poles being set on fire, willman and so on)

Wow, Clarkson looks like his stereotype of an American,...big bellied. He must have been eating a lot of burgers during his holiday. At first, I thought it was just his many layers of clothes, but it does indeed look as if he has packed on a few pounds (or kilograms) since the season 10 finale.

Jeremy's always had a big belly :) Or maybe you've just never bothered looking at his body previously :p

Honestly? It's a fantastic parody of Ground Force. And as satire--where the three poke fun at themselves, too--I think it worked very well. I had a great time watching it.

I gave it an 8.. as been said here obviously scripted, but still very enjoyable, I was laughing all the way through, so I guess that it got the job done.. I really did feel sorry for the guy and his ruined garden.. :)

the funniest bit for me was the small digger and Richard's wellingtons in conrete, how JC lifted him up from them :D :D

EDIT: I am amazed that this got such mixed scores...

Watched it again. Still don't think it will go down as one of the best things they ever did, but I have to say I laughed more the second time than I did the first.

Didn't notice Richard weeing on the tree the first time.

It was funny in the start, when the digger tipped over and clarkson shot the plant out of the ground, then went down hill from there.

I still gave it a 7 because its just stupid comedy for charity, and it was acceptable.

It sort of died on it's arse, but the first few bits with the digger, gun etc were very funny.

I was half expecting the Poles to sit around for the first bit then suddenly spring into action...but nothing happened.

Regardless of whether or not it's scripted or a parody or whatever, I just don't like how Jeremy, Richard and James are starting to become 'characters' as opposed to 'personalities'. I'm a huge fan of watching the guys tackle a challenge, but I much prefer to laugh with them, than at them.

The first boat building challenge was a great example. When Jeremy rolled the Hilux at the end, it was genuine, it was hilarious and it was, for all appearances, unintentional. Classic Top Gear...

Regardless of whether or not it's scripted or a parody or whatever, I just don't like how Jeremy, Richard and James are starting to become 'characters' as opposed to 'personalities'. I'm a huge fan of watching the guys tackle a challenge, but I much prefer to laugh with them, than at them.

The first boat building challenge was a great example. When Jeremy rolled the Hilux at the end, it was genuine, it was hilarious and it was, for all appearances, unintentional. Classic Top Gear...
Amen to that.

Absolutely. I agree 100%. All 3 are becoming scripted robots that seem to have no real emotion. This is exactly why for the past year or two I have enjoyed Fifth Gear more. It's still scripted but the opinions are real, not the work of a humor "team" at BBC.

Oh, and I thought this Ground Force thing sucked ass. Not funny, not entertaining in the least. How many times did they need to destroy the shed? Come on.

Reactions: TC
at the end of the day, this was a SPECIAL episode for sport relief, and it is not the usual top gear...
so I can kinda understand all the scripted parts...

but of cos I'd much rather see them do it for real and see how it'll end up...

and thumbs up for the family that allows them to do SO MUCH DESTRUCTION to their garden~ lol

Some stats for you

It was watched by 4.5 million with a 22.1% share of all viewing at that time. It reached a peak of 4.8 million towards the end of the programme.

It was the second most watched show in its timeslot beaten only by the News on BBC One (5.3 million).

It was the most watched show on BBC TWO with its closest rival, Storyville getting 1.9 million.

I loved it :banana:

The best was when Hamster drov down in to that hole :rofl:

Great video, the H&S bit was the best, and them Poles :D

While I enjoyed it, it wasn't a patch on their usual efforts. Still amusing, and for a great cause of course, so you can't complain too much. That'd be a 5 from me then.

JC is so not the "I shoot trees" type- he shoots foxes, but not trees.
It was rubbish- not because it was scripted, but because the 3 blokes are TV presenters, not actors. Which made it extremely annoying to watch. We all know that they are not that stupid, so it was all a bit too silly for my liking. What was funny though, was the brass band being introduced as backround music, before the camera swings round and shows that they are actually there- a classic comedy moment. But that was it for me- but to be honest, I didn't expect anything else.

Most of Top Gear's best stuff are the unscripted, off the cuff bits. Why do you all suddenly feel it needs to be scripted or else it will be boring?

Hmm, the poll results so far are interesting, it's fairly evenly distributed across all the options with a slight bias to the higher scores. After re-watching it I liked it a bit more myself. I particularly liked the shed abuse, not sure why. :)

James May was the best. Hammond went OTT for me. Clarkson was a bit of a dick.

However, funny overall but yeah - "TV presenters not actors" - iongerm

;)