Top Gear 16x02 mkv2vob - Repairing AC3

czechzero

So i did a clean/fresh install of windows 7 earlier this week and i've been slowly reinstall all my apps. I did manage to download Ep2 last night and when i downloaded and ran the latest mkv2vob it always says repairing ac3 now before muxing. i have always transcode in dts checked and use old file formart checked. i tried older versions of mkv2vob too. 2.4.6 - 9 all do it.

The first few times it made it sound like chipmunks and the other time it worked, however the volume level was VERY low and it sounded very quiet.

I thought maybe it was the rip, redownloaded it. same thing. I tried downloading the first episode, which it still says REPAIRING AC3 but it does sound normal and the audio level is clear and high like before .

is this there something wrong with the episode or am i missing something on my new w7 install? i also tried ffdshow, didnt make a difference so i uninstalled it.

help?

I've got the same problem. It's probably in the file or something. Havent found a solution yet.

hmm ok cause i downloaded it from finalgear and from a private tracker that had it before finalgear posted it. both did it. the weird thing is i redownloaded the first episode which didnt do it before i reinstalled windows 7 and even that one says repairing ac3. it does play fine and has clear loud audio, just still says repairing ac3 before the muxing which it never did before.

I have the same problem with the fast audio and couldn't for the life of me figure out why. This happened with the file linked on this site's main page, and from another site. If I play the mkv file with VLC media player, it is fine. After running it through mkv2vob, audio is crap. Never had this problem with any other episode before. Audio playback is fast, and finishes about 21 minutes into the video, and rest of video is silent. If anyone can figure it out, please post up.

Hi!

Had the same problem, just (sort of) solved it. As I suspected, the problem can be solved by installing an older version of mkv2vob. You'll have to disconnect from the internet, though. Otherwise mkv2vob will just download and install an update. I think the sound quality is a bit worse, I'll have to play it on my ps3 to see if its bearable.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I've never had any issues with MKV2VOB in years of using it. I was really beginning to think I was losing my mind. I've scrambled all over but the only HD rip I've seen of this episode was from FOV. I assume until we get another HD rip this is going to persist. I'd really like to avoid using other than MKV2VOB.

Me the same problem with the 16x02. Maybe somebody can reencode it new for us?

Thanks for help

Homerius

suffering from the same problem and i have had this one time before.. its a real bummer since i cant wait to watch the new episode :p

hopefully someone here finds out something soon!

I have an update.

I've never heard of or used the PS3 Media Server before, but it plays the .mkv file flawlessly right after i installed it.

I haven't watched the entire episode yet but I can tell you the sound and visual are both fine.

I've had the same chipmunk sound-problems as you guys when using mkv2vob. I finally managed to get it right though by converting the sound from AC3 to 2-channel AAC and then remuxing it with the video stream into an mp4-file.

Unfortunately, my rig is Linux only, so it's probably not that much of a help to most of you. However, I'm pretty sure the Windows versions of the software I used works pretty much the same.

This is how I did it, for those interested:

I couldn't have done it without the help of this thread:
http://www.ps3-hacks.com/forums/about8722.html

You need 4 pieces of software called mkvextract (part of the MKVtoolnix package), MP4Box, mplayer and Nero AAC Encoder.

In Linux, open up a terminal window and type:
$ sudo apt-get install mkvtoolnix gpac mplayer

Nero AAC Encoder is available for free right here:
http://www.nero.com/eng/nero-aac-codec.html
On Linux, find the file called neroAacEnc in the linux-folder and copy it
to some of your executable folders, /usr/local/bin for example.

Let's say you have a Top Gear episode in a file called topgear.mkv.
If it's called something else, rename it to topgear.mkv for convenience.
You can't have spaces in the file name for this to work.

Open up a terminal window, cd to the folder where you have your
Top Gear episode, and run the following things, one at a time, in order:

$ mkvextract tracks "topgear.mkv" 1:video.h264 2:audio.ac3

$ mplayer audio.ac3 -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:fast

$ neroAacEnc -ignorelength -br 192000 -if audiodump.wav -of audio.m4a

$ MP4Box -add video.h264 -add audio.m4a topgear.mp4

Shouldn't take more than about 5-10 minutes in total.
Then you'll have a brand new MP4-file that hopefully will work like a
charm on your PS3. At least it did for me!

I'm pretty sure Windows users could get the same results by downloading the Windows versions of the same programs I used and then just run the same commands in a command window.

Same exact problem here as well. I always use mkv2vob and it's always worked perfectly, but on this ep the file comes out with chipmunky audio. Are the audio sample rates screwed up? Or maybe it has to do with the mkv2vob update that recently happened?

Does anyone use a different program to turn the .mkv files into a video file that can play on the PS3?

Same exact problem here as well. I always use mkv2vob and it's always worked perfectly, but on this ep the file comes out with chipmunky audio. Are the audio sample rates screwed up? Or maybe it has to do with the mkv2vob update that recently happened?

Does anyone use a different program to turn the .mkv files into a video file that can play on the PS3?

I used PS3 Video 9. Its a extremely slow transfer rate (took almost 3 hours) but it transferred it fine with no errors.

Check my post. That worked perfect for me.

just wanted to update, it looks like it was just that episode since 16x03 did not have this problem.

:D