Top Gear 17x06 AND Top Gear America 02x02, 720p issues

rustyguy935

Car(s)
2000 Mustang GT, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Anyone else having issue with both of the last 2 MKV's ?

With Top Gear I convert using mkv2vob for my ps3 and it either says "unsupported format" or it won't even recognize that the file exists!

Top Gear America i get an error box saying "tsmuxer has encountered a problem", it tries to repair ac3 and then says failed and obviously no new file is created.

I've been through the hd playback guide and have all the settings done as recommended.

Been a long time downloader from this site but it's only been in the last year or so that it seems like there is always issues of some kind with the HD files. I could just watch the SD versions but i have an HD setup, and when i can get them to work, the shows look awesome!

Is there any way that a different file type could be used by the uploaders? I understand there may be benefits in size and packaging but, due to the constant problems myself and many many others are having, it seem like a better option.

Just my .02 cents and i hope somebody has some ideas for getting these 2 shows to work properly.

Yes I have trouble too playing TG America season 2 720P Rips on my PS3. I'm using the PS3 Media Server , well it plays the MKV but Colors are way off. Can't open it with WMP12 though (I teached it to play MKV, (TopGear UK 720P and 1080P running without any trouble) when I'm opening it with VLC everythings fine. Tried it to convert with the DivX Plus Converter but all I'm getting are unknown errors. Anyone any Ideas. Gonna Attach 2 Screens so you can see what I'm on about.

dmyjnwn5.jpg

6yeowzzf.png

Yes I do. My Popcorn Hour, the original one, doesn't play the two lates episodes of Top Gear America. Or maybe I should write I get no sound and a black screen, but the lights are flashing like its playing in the "background". Never had this problem before with any material. Ideas?

Yes I have trouble too playing TG America season 2 720P Rips on my PS3. I'm using the PS3 Media Server , well it plays the MKV but Colors are way off. Can't open it with WMP12 though (I teached it to play MKV, (TopGear UK 720P and 1080P running without any trouble) when I'm opening it with VLC everythings fine. Tried it to convert with the DivX Plus Converter but all I'm getting are unknown errors. Anyone any Ideas. Gonna Attach 2 Screens so you can see what I'm on about.

dmyjnwn5.jpg

And I thought I was the only one getting the distorted colors on TGUS via PS3, I searched but found nothing. TG plays just fine.

I can play it just fine on my computer hooked up to the same TV.

-Robert

I think i too am having similar issues as was wondering if a new x264 codec was being used????

If i try to play either of the two new TGA (720p versions) episodes on my media player (Sumvision Cyclone MKV HD2) I get audio but just a black screen. Which is weird as so far i've not found anything that WONT play on it! I checked and both episodes play fine using VLC player on the computer....

Any ideas out there?

QC

/
I did find a solution to at least my problem, however as it included a link it hasn't got through the mods yet, hopefully it will soon and i hope it helps someone else too
/

Last edited:
Wow, sometimes i surprise even myself :)

It seems the problem is caused (mine at least) by the usage of Header Compression within the mkv file. This is apparently a recent addition to the matroska container.
There is a tool for 'fixing' said files for use where header compression is incomparable with the player -
It's available from - http://sourceforge.net/projects/matroska/files/mkclean/

1 - Download & extract it
2 - 'drag and drop' the problem .mkv onto the file "mkWDclean.exe"
3 - Watch the little dos box while it creates a cleaned version for you
4 - Enjoy :)

Incidentally if anyone else is having issues and there also using a Cyclone player, a new firmware exists which is supposed to fix this. Not tried that as yet though.

Woo Hoo, my TGA works now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wow, sometimes i surprise even myself :)

It seems the problem is caused (mine at least) by the usage of Header Compression within the mkv file. This is apparently a recent addition to the matroska container.
There is a tool for 'fixing' said files for use where header compression is incomparable with the player -
It's available from - http://sourceforge.net/projects/matroska/files/mkclean/

1 - Download & extract it
2 - 'drag and drop' the problem .mkv onto the file "mkWDclean.exe"
3 - Watch the little dos box while it creates a cleaned version for you
4 - Enjoy :)

Incidentally if anyone else is having issues and there also using a Cyclone player, a new firmware exists which is supposed to fix this. Not tried that as yet though.

Woo Hoo, my TGA works now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction...

First I tried mkclean and the cleaned file worked fine.

Second I checked if I was missing any firmware updates for my trusty old Popcorn Hour A-100. For some reason I hadn't installed the two latest ones. That is now done and I'm running version 01-17-110314-15-POP-402 and now I can view the uncleaned TGA (i.e. as they arrive when downloading). Great!

/Martin

Clean Version works on my PC, Converted it with DivX Plus Converter now works with my PS3 Media Player on TV perfectly. Thanks :D

Clean Version works on my PC, Converted it with DivX Plus Converter now works with my PS3 Media Player on TV perfectly. Thanks :D

What did that take time wise?

I just gave up and played the clean file directly on my samsung plasma using allshare and tversity. Worked that way but not as easy as just streaming to PS3

What did that take time wise?

I just gave up and played the clean file directly on my samsung plasma using allshare and tversity. Worked that way but not as easy as just streaming to PS3

Converting in DIVX is Time Consuming, it tool me for 2 Files several Hours, not fast but it worked :)

Tried the mkWDclean program,appears to work to get mkv2vob to work but i have no audio at all when played on my computer, and get nothing (no sound and black screen) when i try and play it on my ps3.

Having same issue with Top Gear America 02x03 and 02x04.

SO FRUSTRATING!!

What are you using to play on the PC. I have found VLC player is the only reliable player these days, WMplayer frequently goes pop with 720p's
Never tried the PS3 thing, so can't really help there.

Also previously, I mentioned an update was available for the Cyclone box i use - popular consensus on the interweb is that it breaks more than it fixes, so looks like i'll just have to carry on 'cleaning' new 720p releases. hay ho.

Tried the mkWDclean program,appears to work to get mkv2vob to work but i have no audio at all when played on my computer, and get nothing (no sound and black screen) when i try and play it on my ps3.

Having same issue with Top Gear America 02x03 and 02x04.

SO FRUSTRATING!!

I use media player classic on my desktop,however i'm not as concerned with being able to play it on there. I stream all my downloaded content to my ps3.

Appears TGA 02x05 is the same issue and with no sd rip available, i'm stuck not being able to watch it at all!!

I see, even though you don't ultimately want to view the content on your PC, if it doesn't work their it's sure as whatsits not going to work on the PS3!
presumably your 'streaming' the o/p of mkv2vob? is it the latest release?
have you tried VLC with the output of mkv2vob?
and, i know i said i know little about it but 'in for a penny etc' how are you streaming it to the PS3?

I just bunged my WDcleaned version of TGA ep4 through the latest (2.4.9) mkv2vob on default settings and WM player (as usual) bummed out but VLC played it fine......?

Mine wont mux for PS3 either. Tried WDclean and MKV2VOB says error getting info. I cannot watch it on the pc as the mkv is jumpy.
Last 4 episodes I have been forced to watch online or download an .avi of the SD.

I have also tried different muxers, keeps giving a TSmuxer error, but will mux fine with TGuk.

Mine wont mux for PS3 either. Tried WDclean and MKV2VOB says error getting info. I cannot watch it on the pc as the mkv is jumpy.
Last 4 episodes I have been forced to watch online or download an .avi of the SD.

I have also tried different muxers, keeps giving a TSmuxer error, but will mux fine with TGuk.

What version of mkv2vob are you using? I tried it and it worked perfectly?
why is it jumpy on the PC? have you run out of horse power?? if not please try http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ it's free and it's the best damn video player out there imho ;)