Top Gear 3 set for USA show

TurnerGTX

HIT motoring show Top Gear is heading to the US ? making Stateside stars of the three British presenters.

BBC bosses are poised to sign a multimillion pound deal with a major broadcaster for Top Gear USA.

And it will still be fronted by the BBC2 show?s hosts ? Sun columnist Jeremy Clarkson, Richard ?Hamster? Hammond and James May.

A show source said: ?It?s very exciting.

?Top Gear could succeed where Robbie Williams has failed by cracking America. And Jeremy and the guys can?t wait to teach the Yanks a bit about cars.?

BBC producers will work on the show, which will be almost identical to the UK?s studio-based version ? but focusing on US gas-guzzlers such as the likes of Buick, Cadillac and Chevrolet.

Major US stars will be invited on to discuss their love of motoring ? and test their skills against the show?s mystery racing driver, The Stig.

Producers hope to have the show on air by next year. Until then Jeremy, James and Richard will be filming the next UK series, which will hit our screens in the autumn.

Top Gear has already been shown in the US by Discovery Channel.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2007160255,00.html

Wow, just wish it was from a more reliable source than the Sun.

Wow, just wish it was from a more reliable source than the Sun.

Whilst The Sun isn't exactly known for it's in-depth journalism, it's unlikely they would make a story like this up.

I would guess that someone from the Beeb probably leaked the story to them.

Whilst The Sun isn't exactly known for it's in-depth journalism, it's unlikely they would make a story like this up.

Would the BBC leak it to a more upper class style of newspaper though??

I hope to hell it's true.

That's the funniest thing I've read on here ever. :D

This is total bollocks from start to end. The quote from a 'source' making a reference to Robbie Williams - as if anyone talks like that. Also, how would it work? Are they going to spend three or four months in the U.S. making it and then come back here and do the same? No, of course they are not.

I remember the S*n story about Richard having a hole drilled in his head...

Yeah right!

American audiences will sue by the insult. If that makes any sense.. :p

Hrmm, not sure about this. If its true, I wouldn't want to see it impact on the UK show at all, and I'm sure there'll be conditions in place for Clarkson and co to probably not shoot off their mouths and make insulting remarks about Americans or whatever. This means it'll be a dummied down version and it wont be appealing - yet if they were allowed to continue with the current format, the producers would get their asses sued into next century. Also not especially appealing.

Last edited:
They wouldnt be able to get away with saying much, cos there will be lawyers watching and waiting for a lawsuit, cos it's America.

Its on BBC News and "A spokeswoman for the BBC confirmed that BBC Worldwide - the corporation's commercial arm - had been in talks, but could not confirm details."
BBC NEWS ARTICAL

They won't be able to do nearly as much, if they make fun of an American car manufacturer on a US show, they'll get sued like crazy

I think they'll be able to say nearly all of what they do now. This whole "America sues every insult" is so blown up and untrue. Chappelle Show and South Park have been significantly more offensive and nothing happened to them. It's a bit cliche and old.

Clarkson wouldn't green light something that would be watered down and of poor quality. So if it comes to the US, it'll have teeth just like it does in the UK.

I for one am against this idea. The show was great as a small group of guys in some makeshift hanger and track. Maybe that time has past and they want a new challenge, but I fear the charm and cohesiveness of Dunsfold is gone. It was a niche show that became popular. I fear going after 300 million Americans in some new format will just throw it all off.

The only rationale I see is money and a big new challenge for Jeremy, James and Richard.

And really, how large is their audience going to be? Most real US car fans watch TG anyway. I don't see the average American understanding this group of three and the point of the show. TG should just air uncut UK episodes.

The more I think about it, the more I hate this idea. :thumbsdown:

i hate the idea, it will mean less of the british show and there isn't enough of that already.

I think they'll be able to say nearly all of what they do now. This whole "America sues every insult" is so blown up and untrue. Chappelle Show and South Park have been significantly more offensive and nothing happened to them. It's a bit cliche and old.

South Park and Chappelle Show arent real-life though. What the boys say can have an impact and the US does over-react. Look at Jeremy and Vauxhall, imagine what would happen if he said something about an American company and it had a Vauxhall impact, he'd have a hundred lawsuits thrown at him.

Leave TG as a British show, which is what it is!!

Even though I'd be more confident if the Simpsons brought the news than the Sun.. this could be fun. Hope to see some rips.

Funny to see what they'll take out.. :p

Lads this was on page 3, which is the page with topless women on it! Somehow I am sceptical of it.

Top gear is real life??

So south korean cars are made out of recycled washing machine bits?

If it gets watered down it won't do well..

if it stays true to Clarkson.. then it will be fine..

kinda of like american idol.. people watch it to see the really goofy people who think they can sing, and to see Simon Cowell tell people they're idiots and suck in new and various ways.. including saying outright.. "If you would be singing like this two thousand years ago, people would have stoned you."

People are sick of political correctness.. Clarkson refuses to be polite.. it's perfect. People will watch it just for that..

Just imagine for a second.. Clarkson and John Force doin a bit.. has Clarkson even been in a 6000 hp car? or Clarkson taking say a Ssyong (or however you spell it) to Chip Foose and getting him to "deuglify it".. turning it into a proper washing machine..

endless possibilities.. i hope it's fer real.

Last edited: