Top Gear 3 set for USA show

Lads this was on page 3, which is the page with topless women on it! Somehow I am sceptical of it.

Its on BBC News and "A spokeswoman for the BBC confirmed that BBC Worldwide - the corporation's commercial arm - had been in talks, but could not confirm details."
BBC NEWS ARTICAL

Anyway, $10 says it'll be a cable channel like Speed or something. I don't really see a place for a bunch of British blokes on broadcast TV, except maybe PBS, but I think Top Gear's a bit expensive for them to pick up.

Last edited:
I'll have to wait and see if it is any good. At least our favorite trio of blokes are still presenting. That's good.

There is no way this will end up on big four broadcast television. As previously said it'll end up on SPEED, Spike, Discovery, or ESPN (which has a new penchant for motoring).

On first glance of this I about made a mess of my pants, but now that I think about it I only hope that the only thing different is that it's in the US. If this happens (which would be awesome) I hope Clarkson still cracks about America (even though it bothers me sometimes) and they don't JUST talk about cars available here in American and it is the same kind of global show that the current one is. Though it is inherently British, the show is partially tailored to an international audience. It will only succeed if it carries on as such.

It'll be interesting though to see how many episodes an American season would be, b/c those six - eight episode seasons wouldn't fly here. Maybe production quality would suffer? I hope not.

It'll be interesting though to see how many episodes an American season would be, b/c those six - eight episode seasons wouldn't fly here. Maybe production quality would suffer? I hope not.

I agree. Top Gear is as good as it is because they spend months in production of the segments to make them exciting and interesting. They won't have the time to do that if they have to prepare 25+ episodes for an American season, especially considering Top Gear UK, and all the other commitments of Clarkson, May, and Hammond.

On a side note, be it Top Gear USA or Top Gear UK, I'd love to see Leno as Star in a Reasonably Priced Car. That would be an awesome segment.

Rubbish idea. Why would this make any big difference to anything ? The only thing that would actually change is that the amount of american made cars would go slightly up.

If the main focus would be on american cars, it's rubbish, because that just isn't enough and it would become boring very quickly. You need the whole automotive world in it. Why would you want them to review just american cars for a whole season or something ? If it isn't just american cars then it'll be exactly the same show what it is now.

Second of all this will take something out from the original show and that would be disasterous. If this will be a whole series thing that is. If it'll only be a couple of "special episodes", what's the point then ??

Third, there is the fact that the point would be just saying offensive things about the US and that is already proving to be a challenge for Jeremy to keep it purely entertaining and original, as we can all see from the TGTBTU DVD. And it would also go old, would you really be able to listen the America bashing week after week.

Fourth thing in my mind is why would they even do this ? As mentioned most american Top Gear fans already watch the show and I really don't thing that the US is ready to handle the kind of opinions the three british blokes would spew out of their mouths.

I can't think of any good reasons why this would be a idea worth of putting to action. I truely hope this will never happen and the article on the front page is pure bollocks.

It would be nice that I don't have to torrent every episode, and that I'd be able to see them review cars that are actually available in the US.

BUT, I can see the trio comparing cars now: Chevy Cobalt, American Ford Focus, Dodge Caliber. "Well, they all suck, buy a Volkswagen.", then repeat the same verdict every time they test.

I'd really like to see a Top Gear USA. I think it would have to focus more on cars that are on the market in America. They'd have to review more trucks and SUVs than on TG UK.

I'd really like a TG USA just for the no-nonsense reporting on stupid auto laws and the stupid people backing them. If someone doesn't start standing up to the Greens they are going to have every American driving corn-electric cars soon.

I don't really care - as long as Top Gear UK stays untouched. :p

I guess they figured if America can take Simon Cowell Clarkson would fit right in...

Last edited:
I'd like to at least see it. I can still get the british episodes from here, and I still will.

But will it just disapear like the Discovery Channel version did?

Fourth thing in my mind is why would they even do this ? As mentioned most american Top Gear fans already watch the show and I really don't thing that the US is ready to handle the kind of opinions the three british blokes would spew out of their mouths.

Simple answer: $$$

If this potential show is A: not that much different from the current program and B: on the right network and time slot, it could be a huge hit. Though not as much as in Europe, many of us here in the states are passionate about cars (despite the stereotype of speed in a straight line and only left turns).

I think the whole "american cars" thing in the article is sort of an overstatement. I'm pretty sure they mean cars that are available in the US (i.e. no peugeots, citroens, skodas, etc. which is probably a good thing) and not just those that come from Detroit.

I can understand the sentiment from Britons who want to keep their baby for themselves, but I think this has potential to be really good. We need a proper motoring show that doesn't just coddle to the auto industry, like most of our miserable excuses for car shows do.

Also with the fervent nationalism of Clarkson, Hammond, and May...I really don't think they'd agree to anything if it substantially cut into their ability to do the current show.

Maybe they could do a test of different police cruisers. Clarkson would go for that Charger, it being the fastest one, Hammond would pick the Crown Vic since it's the old, traditional banger, sort of like the Transit, and May will go for an Astra diesel. :p

Two thoughts, if the current UK TG crew does the American car reviews AND says anything positive how will we know if they are geniune or not. lol And secondly, the only thing that needs to be done for the American audience is replace the star in a reasonably priced car (since 99% of all Americans will have no clue who these people are) with an honest real American car review and chop one segment down for commercials.

But, people are smart, if someone really likes the show and is internet savvy they can just download the UK TG and won't watch the US TG--unless they are a die-hard TG fan and wants as much as they can get. /me raises hand

I'm all for it if it doesn't take away from the current UK TG AND has at least one fair American car review per series. :lol:

*edit*

Maybe they could do a test of different police cruisers. Clarkson would go for that Charger, it being the fastest one, Hammond would pick the Crown Vic since it's the old, traditional banger, sort of like the Transit, and May will go for an Astra diesel. :p

LOL Genius. This post is genius.

It would be nice that I don't have to torrent every episode, and that I'd be able to see them review cars that are actually available in the US.

BUT, I can see the trio comparing cars now: Chevy Cobalt, American Ford Focus, Dodge Caliber. "Well, they all suck, buy a Volkswagen.", then repeat the same verdict every time they test.

You know it. Sad but true.

The article says this:

BBC producers will work on the show, which will be almost identical to the UK?s studio-based version ? but focusing on US gas-guzzlers such as the likes of Buick, Cadillac and Chevrolet.

Who wants to watch a show about that? Does anyone think that ANY network is willing to give up its advertising when Clarkson calls a vehicle rubbish? The only network it could go on would be PBS and that's not going to happen with those tree-huggers.

What are they going to test here anyways, pick-ups, SUVs? All the American cars that are possibly interesting they've already tested, the rest are junk or trucks.

Hrmm, not sure about this. If its true, I wouldn't want to see it impact on the UK show at all, and I'm sure there'll be conditions in place for Clarkson and co to probably not shoot off their mouths and make insulting remarks about Americans or whatever. This means it'll be a dummied down version and it wont be appealing - yet if they were allowed to continue with the current format, the producers would get their asses sued into next century. Also not especially appealing.

Have you ever seen American comedy? We rip on ourselves worse than anyone else.:lol:

Nobody is going to get sued for calling Americans fat, lazy, dumb, redneck or any of that other shit, because we're always calling eachother that anyway. Just turn on Comedy Central for a day and see how "proud" we really are, haha. Entire lineups some nights are made of just comics ripping on different parts of America, nobody really cares except scientologists, hahaha.

The thing I would be worried about is advertisers. Companies definately have some sway in what is said as far as people ripping on thier products, but again, a lot of comedians and late night shows will rip on companies and various products right before showing the commercials for said company, so as long as they have some kind of backbone they'd be fine.

A top gear with those three pertaining to US cars and issues would certainly get my ass on the couch for that hour. I imagine the news where they rip on US politicians for stupid traffic laws, various odd races around the states, interviewing some US celebs and having them fly around the track would be very entertaining IMO.

Nobody is going to get sued for calling Americans fat, lazy, dumb, redneck or any of that other shit, because we're always calling eachother that anyway.

Hmmm, would that still work given that the people saying it in this instance aren't American themselves? Insults are always easier to take when it's people laughing at their own kind.

Lads this was on page 3, which is the page with topless women on it! Somehow I am sceptical of it.

I demand proof of this allegation. :p

But still, i kinda have my reservations. What I think they need to do is get three Ameicans that have the feel of the trio from UK, but with a slightly american slant.

I mean, look at the Pilot Top Gear USA guys: One was a Drag Racer, one was a Jock, and the other guy.....um....well, he had nothing to do with cars.

I think they should find three Americans. For Clarksons shoes, an outspoken guy who thinks that the Ford Mustang is rubbish, yet finds a liking in the Vee-Dubs. A guy who isn't afraid of saying the 300C is a POS, yet thinks the Lexus LS is on-par with the Maybach.

Hammond....Basiclly an eccentric gearhead. Given Hammonds taste in cars, i'd say find a guy that has a wide swath of cars in his collection.

And May...I dunno, should we see if any of the reporters from Hemmings Motor News wants a TV gig?

As for The Stig....he needs a total American facelift of sorts (No, not Big Stig). Let's take a cue from NASCAR. Have "American Stig" be a rolling billboard of "sponsors" as a spoof to NASCAR while he does left AND right turns on the test track. And give him a completely mysterious american name. One name I want to suggest is already taken by a Video Game, so nuts to that....

Last edited:
What I think they need to do is get three Ameicans that have the feel of the trio from UK, but with a slightly american slant.

I couldn't agree more.

I still feel they should wait until Jay Leno retires from the Tonight Show. If you watch any of his videos on JayLenosGarage he makes even the most boring video interesting. He would be perfect to fill Jezza's shoes.

So is this the special that they mentioned scheduled for this summer? I'm interested to see how well it goes.

I love how people automatically think that because there MIGHT be an American version, the original British show will start to suck as a result. As if we Americans aren't to blame for enough in this world, right?

^
See that I did there? I insulted ourselves. Trust me, there's enough people in America willing to do the same and enough others who can accept it without somebody writing into the BBC complaining about caravan destruction or Malaysian cars and making a big deal out of it. If anything, the Beeb and any channel involved will have an army of lawyers working for them and they'll just issue a statement saying that somebody out there accepts "full responsibility" for whatever or something. Simon Cowell isn't out there making press releases every other day like screwed-up sports athletes, so I think we peabrained Americans (there, I did it again) can manage.

Besides, we have this show on FOX called "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" The mere fact that this show actually got off the drawing board means that we're willing to make fun of how stupid we are, and that there are actually full-grown adults comparing themselves to idiot middle-schoolers with dubious results. Hell, Jeff Foxworthy is a typical American, isn't he?

Hmmm, would that still work given that the people saying it in this instance aren't American themselves? Insults are always easier to take when it's people laughing at their own kind.
A lot of foreign, including british, comics are pretty famous out here, look at Eddie Izzard.