Top Gear 3 set for USA show

Booooooo @ making an "americafied" version for our consumption. Just license the show as is, and show it late night on Speed. Wait, I forgot, Rupert 'Captain America' Murdoch wont let that happen. Thanks but no thanks, I'll stick with the British version. I don't need an hour of "Wow, this caddy is just rubbish". We already know that!!!!!

Being America, of course the three presenters will be Jay Leno, a black guy for tuning stuff & a fat guy, obviously, maybe some half naked latin girls & so on. The brilliant thing is, that american celebs, if there is SiaRPC segment planned, are more popular, than european, so the segment will finally make sense. I am sure americans will ruin it & the show won't last long because of low rating & probably lack of content (remember, TG UK started very low & only now it's starting to pull top spot ratings), but i'd like to see em try.

LOL Genius. This post is genius.
Tyvm, I really don't hear that a lot. Probably because I am a burk, of some sorts.

One thing I'm wondering about is.. what WOULD be the reasonably priced car? Any suggestions? How about a really old V8 Muscle car in bad nick? That would be interesting.

Now for the America jokes:

Let the track be an oval. Or even better, a long straight.

Disclaimer: I don't hate America, it just appears that way. All jokes that appear to be bashings are only friendly jokes.

I dont think this is good. i love top gear for the reviews and all that stuff but also for their general carefree dowhatittakes, saywhatneedstobesaid attitude. It wont be allowed on american tv like that, its not PC enough.

The end is nigh, I say! THE END IS NIGH!

There it is, recorded on the internets - I have predicted the future of TG.

Mark my words, TGUS would be the death of TG.

Down with the abomination!

Change is almost always bad. I've seen too many TV shows ruined with change. I hope Jeremy really takes a hard look at the future of TG and makes the right choice.

I actually really hope this isnt going to happen

So True!

I won't substantiate this by giving names of who I know this through, but I'm pretty sure it's true. Jeremy cut a flying visit through the states very recently to do some handshaking.

And... I'm one of the posters on this thread who's not excited by the idea. While I'm all for my favourite presenters/producers making more dosh, I still think they will eventually feel the pressure to change their views because of who's now paying their salaries - the (car) advertisers forking out for their 30 second slots.

[ rant ]
Plus, and I'm sorry, but as someone who has dealt with TV for a long time, I think we constantly tailor things in the american market because of an assumption that the yanks are chronically incapable of associating anything foreign with themselves, and this is another example. I don't even think it's neccessarily true! It's the American TV networks who don't even give the US general public a chance to accept TG UK or, say, the original version of the Office.

IMHO, TG UK is a perfectly good TV show. Put that on prime time, advertise the hell out of it, pay the hosts an additional royalty and be done with it.
[ /rant ]

As long as they continue to crap on Americans and American cars and have a warning at the beginning stating that...then TG will be fine.

It wont be allowed on american tv like that, its not PC enough.

Thankfully, the American Constitution has an amendment toward the right to Free Speech. this means Top Gear can say whatever they want, provided it isn't slanderous, libel, or meant to incite violence, and they are politically allowed to say it, even if people disagree with it. it really confuses me why people would forget the rights their fore-fathers fought diligently for, all to avoid the possibility of being offended.

Oh, wait, now i now why: people can be huge WIMPS!

*end rant after: F*** the PC B******S!*

I only want this if they will continue to do the British series at the same time because as an American, I don't really care about our big cars and love seeing TG testing cool European cars, our cars are boring.

They wouldnt be able to get away with saying much, cos there will be lawyers watching and waiting for a lawsuit, cos it's America.

as i said on a different forum, this would pretty much ruin an attempt at an entertainment port of TG to America. Yes ths issue not so much about american car reviews vs import car reviews, its the fact they will not be able to do half of what makes the UK show fun because of stupid liability and potential lawsuits. that means

1. no crazy stunts (like car darts
2. no off color politically incorrect jokes making fun of *anyone*
3. no scathing, honest, from the gut reviews of cars saying how terrible they are
4. star in a reasonably priced car, good luck trying to get them to drive around the track, which is half the point of them being there.
5. being able to drive half the sports cars in the crazy fashion that they do
6. potential damage to the environment at half their on site review locales.

and the list goes on and on.

the biggest threat is liability - it's advertisers. Unless they are on a pay per view channel, they will be held hostage by advertisers which will restrict any view on cars incase the car manufacturer boycotts the network.

it only works in britain because there's no advertisers, they have to make better cars to stop bad reviews - even the cityrover wasn't safe after they stopped TG From having it.

4. star in a reasonably priced car, good luck trying to get them to drive around the track, which is half the point of them being there.

Are you loco? There are alot of Celeb car nuts (Even the rappers with their stupid DUB's and Donks) and I can't fathom them fighting for bragging rights on who's the fastest in a POS car.

Are you loco? There are alot of Celeb car nuts (Even the rappers with their stupid DUB's and Donks) and I can't fathom them fighting for bragging rights on who's the fastest in a POS car.

im saying those celebs agents, lawyers or managers are going to have hang ups about letting them race, esp the way the celebs do in the UK show.

If this happens, I'll probably watch but there would always be this nagging though in my head that it isn't the same. Sort of like when they spun off "Joey" from "Friends". And what happened to that show?

I really hope this does not go through because as other have said, it would spell the end for Top Gear.

If this does happen, will they still make the UK version?

First, as I've previously stated, people are taking too much credence in this "american car" statement in the story. IF THEY DO THIS SHOW THEY WILL NOT JUST REVIEW AMERICAN CARS. PERIOD. We buy plenty of European and Asian cars in this country they're going to review the whole gamut.

Now, Auto manufacturers would be foolish to not sponsor the show regardless of their reviews. People who are going to watch this show are going to be gearheads and they're going to want honest reviews. A manufacturer pulling sponsorship because of a bad review just shows that their skin isn't thick enough and they're more inclined to just ignore the problem than just fix (what they must know when they make it) their insufficient automobile. It is beneficial for the industry to have criticism, I mean car magazines still have advertisements and they will write the occasional shit review.

I have a better solution though...Don't have the auto industry advertise for the show. There are plenty of products that the demographic who watches the show would like to buy. Budweiser, Coca-Cola, Microsoft...you name it. You can still have car related advertising...such as Sirius/XM, Garmin, any tire company. I don't think advertising is going to be the downfall (if there is one), the downfall would potentially be an inability to transfer the magic of TG UK to the US...which I hope won't, and don't think will, happen. But...it is a possibility.