Top Gear 3 set for USA show

You know what? I have the perfect solution for everyone who's worried that TG wouldn't be the same if they go over to the States.

Bring the show to Canada.

And better yet, they can film it right here in Toronto. I was going to say that they could film the show at Downsview Park as it has an old airfield but I just remembered that it's now a private airport BUT they had the SARS concert there, so I dunno...

But it's okay, we have tons of airfields and other sites that could be used. :D

The CBC would be the perfect broadcaster for the show over here. Just put them on after The Hour and that would make my evening.

(While typing this, I had the perfect mental image of the boys using the Chicken Cannon from RCAF on a crap car they didn't like. Ah, bless.)

Plus as Canadians, we have good beer and make fun of Americans all the damn time ;) They would feel right at home.

I suspect it also may be a product of the loss of the Dunsfold lease. A track with a hangar far from a populated area is probably very hard to come by in the UK, so they may have to go to the States out of pure necessity.

So how the hell are they gonan get some of the cars that we Americans won't allow in wihtout uber modifications just to protect a pedestrian?

(While typing this, I had the perfect mental image of the boys using the Chicken Cannon from RCAF on a crap car they didn't like. Ah, bless.)

Mythbusters? Anyone?

BTW, Jezza going to Texas? That was on Motorworld. I've only seen one episode of it (Japan) but I have the book of the show. Lol at TVR being illegal in Switerland whereas an AK47 or even an MM-1 'nade launcher is legal there.

And that's why it can only exist on HBO or Showtime. Our commercial TV is hopeless.

Jezza's last DVD is the worse thing i've ever seen. (and i've seen Bedazzled)
The reason is he hates all US cars, so the show cant work.

The tragedy of the last DVD is that so much of it was just factually incorrect, and that hurt any cred that Jezza might still have.

If you look at it as entertainment, it works. However, American audiences might not be used to seeing a car review show as entertainment, given the pathetic excuse for motoring TV this country now has.

After all, look at Motorweek on PBS - Everything is wonderful, no car has any faults at all! We love everybody!:yucky:

Last edited:
I thought they would just let it be same, and also have it delayed like 8:00 est or live 4:00 est us.

he is right

he is right

Yeah right!

American audiences will sue by the insult. If that makes any sense.. :p

Undeniably true, unfortunately. But there are plenty of people here who can take a joke of the sort the three dish out, and plenty who agree with them on their position towards american automobiles. Hell, I'm one of them...But then again, I drive a Honda, and we all know how they treat Hondas.

I still hope its true.

How about they stop going to the South and do the show in the Northeast.

Anywhere from Pennsylvania to Maine, honestly.

Mythbusters? Anyone?

I was thinking about the Royal Canadian Air Farce one, from which I can remember is older than the one that the Mythbusters did. Okay, it's not the best example of the Cannon in action but it's the only Air Farce clip it in action that I could find on YouTube.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdeg9izJE3I[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Top Gear USA: the future

http://img354.imageshack.**/img354/7249/cqbqt4.jpg

:mrgreen:

sorry, had to. I actually hope the US show goes through, but I can see them running into all sorts of problems if they leave the show exactly as we know it (and love)

Wait, where exactly did that appear?

Agreed, though not new england.

Aw, come on! It would be great to hear Jezza screaming at Boston traffic and rant about the completely nonsensical street layout. They could meet at the field where the Revolutionary War began. There's a closed Army airfield nearby that many car clubs hold events at that they could use, and/or New Hampshire International Speedway (they can make fun if it being a NASCAR roundy-round track, yet there's a road course configuration as well - I've driven it, quite fun.) And once you get a bit away from the cities there really is some nice scenery and fun roads to drive. Then again, as a lifelong New Englander, I'm kind of biased. :lol:

One the one hand, TG US could be really, really cool, but only if they kept the show's essential "Top Gearness" - the crazy challenges, wacky stunts, opinionated reviews (particularly the negative ones)... On the other hand, the US-made version of Doctor Who comes to mind as a particularly horrible import. They tried to Americanize an inherently British show, and it just didn't work.

For a reasonably priced car, how about something not quite new but as common as dirt. An older Saturn, perhaps. (Again, I'm biased. :p ) No worries about getting American stars to come out and play. Many are gearheads, and some are actually pretty good drivers. Could also throw in some Brit stars that are well known in America.

Last edited:
Well, it's not official cencorship, it's private. It's nothing else than an editor denying the writer to publish his collumn a week.

Though, I find it to be extremely stupid, and if you won't allow different opinions, that sort of sounds like.. a wish for a dictatorship.

Great Idea If...

Great Idea If...

.... if the original format holds true to form. First off let me say that I think this is a great idea, albeit a touchy subject for true fans. Everyone of my friends, family, etc. that has a love of cars, comedy, or just a good time has loved the show (and the hosts). Who doesn't love taking an old truck and trying to kill it to no avail, or a race between car and train or car and plane or car and....? While JC does have a decidedly poor opinion of 'The Septics', I have generally taken this as a broad stroke of comedy as opposed to a directed assault on all Americans. Obviously no one who is smart enough to make the kind of observations that the TG hosts do is truely foolish enough to truly generalize an entire country or group. That being said, I live in the south and try to avoid anywhere as redneck as that store the guys visited in Alabama. There is a large section of the American population who despise Nascar and Budweiser (myself included). Of course the slimmer, 100+ IQ segment of the population understands irony, British or otherwise. Anyway, in lieu of an already too long rant I'll just try to sum up. People love cars, especially supercars. They also love to watch beautiful cinematography, colorful commentary, guys blowing stuff up and doing what normal people could never do, and overall great television. If this show comes to the US I hope that nothing is held back or watered down. This is my favorite show and I hope that nothing will change if it comes across the Atlantic.

Oh yeah - ChrisJones - it's spelled California (sorry, couldn't help myself)