Top Gear - African Adventure (Blu-Ray/DVD) June 10th

Car(s)
Suzuki Alto
Pre-order now up:
Blu-Ray - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Gear-Af...99&sr=8-2&keywords=top+gear+african+adventure
DVD - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Gear-Gr...99&sr=8-1&keywords=top+gear+african+adventure

p3KqaqA.jpg

MyJysqk.jpg

Few notes..........
There is no mention of an Audio Commentary like on all the previous sets, going back to the Botswana special.
If this is true, then its a major disappointment for me at least. One of the major reasons I even buy the sets.

Last edited:
Why do they have to be so half assed about their Blu-Ray/DVD releases, they take all the good music out then they slap some crap extras on which most of the time are all available on Topgear.com/uk and rarely have a commentary track, the series discs never have commentary and the adventures discs usually only have 1 adventure on them with a commentary which is a shame because the commentaries always add new life to the program once you've seen it multiple times and are even better when James May is in it.
I remember renting the Polar Special on Blu-ray only to be bitterly disappointed that there was no commentary, of all the specials to have a commentary you'd think that would be it.

I think the music issue has a lot to do with how much they have to pay for the rights to include it. They may be able to include it in the original airing for one fee, but the fee to put it on the home release is too much, so they have to substitute music.

As for the commentary, they probably didn't think to do one for the Polar Special, where it was the first one. But I do believe that Botswana & Vietnam both had commentary included in the series box set.

I think they are somewhat lazy about the rights sometimes, a lot of the music that they take out comes from film scores so I can't imagine the cost for including such tracks would be so high that they couldn't stick it on the Top Gear blu-ray/dvd or itunes download.
As for Botswana and Vietnam I don't remember the series dvds having commentary tracks but the great adventures discs defiantly had them.

The series 12 set includes the commentary for the Vietnam special, as well as the director's cut & commentary for the Botswana special. Audio commentary for Bolivia is included in the Series 14 set.

I don't understand how they think. Their films have some of the best visuals in the business, but their DVD/bluray covers look like someones kid has made them as a school project.

No, strike that. Kids these days manage better than that ... (And this one is far from the worst I've seen.)

Hammond's mustache must be a one-off.

Last edited:
Lovely, can't wait to watch this epic episode(s) in 1080p.
Still just 1080i I'm afraid, another bit of BBC short slightness...

I'm not an expert, but I assumed they film these things in 1080p and then down scale them for the broadcast.

KP8fpM8.jpg

Last edited:
Still just 1080i I'm afraid, another bit of BBC short slightness...

I'm not an expert, but I assumed they film these things in 1080p and then down scale them for the broadcast.

KP8fpM8.jpg

The Blu-Ray spec does not support 1080p25 so 1080i is the best they can do really.

Maybe the commentary will be included with the Series 19 set?

Nope, no commentary on the North American series 19 set.

Also...did anyone else have issues with their series 19 set, with regard to fast forward/rewind? As in...I am unable to do either when playing episodes. I can skip to the next chapter, but FF/Rew don't work.

Yeah the music is definitely a rights issue. The disc rights I think are a lot higher as your selling a copy with it on rather than broadcasting it which will come under a blanket ruling to cover all BBC OTA broadcasting (I assume). It sucks since it's a way of advertising the artist, but we all know the music industry.

If their is commentary then I may buy, but for now, it's staying on my Sky+HD.

Last edited:
I have to say I thought this was one of the best adventures they have been on, it was so funny but at the same time hard hitting when seeing the conditions of some of the places they drove through. The reception the locals gave them was incredible, top gear really is known all over the world. The way they kitted out their cars for sleeping was a spot of genius although not too keen about sleeping next to a coffin then again who wants to go to the toilet on top of a bonnet lol.

Does anyone have this yet? I am waiting to see if there is a commentary before I buy.