Top Gear At Silverstone

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of a few galleries is online, the qualifying, warmup and pit walkabout pictures.

I'm fairly sure there's a pic of Slick007Nick getting his programme signed by Jezza in there, assuming I'm getting the right person (it fits his description!)

http://www.the365project.co.uk/Galleries/Britcar24PreRace/

I know the feeling mate. I had 800plus from Britcar and Renault World Series. Obviously though you were awake a lot longer than me :p Any idea what caused the Duke car to go out? I was told by one of the guys it crashed out, but was it bad?

Think the Duke car ran out brakes at one stage and clobbered the back of a Honda, later had big engine problems.

For those of you that requested high res pictures, I'm not being rude, but I have about 1600 pictures to process from the entire weekend, so they may take a while!

No problem at all! :) Just thank you VERY MUCH for all the pics you're posting!!! ;)

This photogrpaher must have been standing right next to me. The cameraman in the red shirt turned the camera at me for some reason at one point. (maybe because I was carring about twenty different cameras!)

normal_IMG_6896.JPG

Think the Duke car ran out brakes at one stage and clobbered the back of a Honda, later had big engine problems.

Uhm yes, that was me driving the Honda, it was the Daniels Motorsport #68 car. I was going into Vale and got an almighty clout on the rear quarter, apparently (so i'm told) my car did at least 3 or 4 full rotations. I ended up 100yds from the corner and the Duke car nearer 500yds. Peter Duke himself was driving and came up to me as I sat in my car waiting to be recovered and apologised. Their car was a total front end write-off and didn't run again.

Essentially we lost the complete rear-quarter, The car woudn't start as a wire had been sheared inside the fuel tank, think I was bl@@dy lucky it wasn't more serious.

We did get the car back out after about 5 hours with a rebuilt rear quarter (lots of hammering by the team) and, as that rear suspension had been destroyed on that side we had to replace both sides with essentially road suspension. Surprisingly it drove quite well (as you really only drive the front end of a FWD car) and we actually placed that car 4th in class.

I also drove the 67 car in which we won our class.

On a TG note I had a most surreal experience. In my job [Race School Instructor) I've met JC and Hampster before (raced against him in the 24hr 2CV race he did 4 years ago) also lots of the other motoring presenters etc. but I was minding my own business in the garage when all 3 of the TG guys popped in looking for Fiona Leggate (she was one of my co-drivers in 68 ). They thought she was in an MGZR (was supposed to be) so I was talking to them about how that deal fell through etc. The car she was supposed to drive qualified BEHIND them (they qual'd really badly) so were basically looking to tease Ms Leggate about that. They will wanted to find the MG so I got the regs and checked the garage numbers etc. all together probably chatted for a couple of minutes, was sooo weird (damn JC is tall, RMs hair is long, RA is short)

BTW. If Martyn, ArosaMike or any one else posting pics here objects to me possibly using one of those pics for my blog etc (i.e. none-commercial) please advise.

Maxx
(Malcolm Edeson)

Martyn,

We were in Class 3, which is for pretty much standard production cars. The TJH car was highly modified (engine especially) and lightened etc. and indeed did win Class 2.

M.

Aha, my entry list says the 67 car was class 2. Suppose I should have looked at the results sheet rather than the entry list really! :lol:

Congratulations then! 20th overall is pretty impressive too! I guess the only reason you got two Diesels in front of you was their incredible efficiency.
Was it seven stops for that Golf, in the entire 24 hours? Madness!

Aha, my entry list says the 67 car was class 2. Suppose I should have looked at the results sheet rather than the entry list really! :lol:

Congratulations then! 20th overall is pretty impressive too! I guess the only reason you got two Diesels in front of you was their incredible efficiency.
Was it seven stops for that Golf, in the entire 24 hours? Madness!

Thanks Martyn, yes, the Class 2 was a typo. I was surprised to see those Diesels up there, I passed them <what seemed like> loads of times on track and looking at their lap times they are a few seconds behind ours, just shows you what cutting back on a few pitstops can do. We had to refuel every 90mins and most times we had to stop in the pits on the way out for a driver change. It was hoped that I could skip these on my 3hr stints but there was also some issue that needed attending to.

I'm sure we will see more diesels next year. I also did the Nurburgring 24hr earlier this year (in an Alfa 147 JTD) and there were loads of them including a very trick and hugely developed BMW 130d that was absolutely flying.

M.

HAHA i got like 5 burgers from there! But as for pictures. It was a piece of piss to get a picture of something interesting there, thats why some of my ameteur shots are quite good. If you went like me, i think you'll agree that if you were wandering around the paddock, you were bumping into TG Crew and Jezza, May, and Hammond like all the time!

Wow! Those night pics are phantastic. Well done!!

Greetings, lip

Status
Not open for further replies.