Top Gear Australia Filming Sites

metallix

Car(s)
Holden VY Ute
Thought perhaps this thread would eventually turn into an archive of where Top Gear Australia have been spotted filiming their road tests.

In the meantime I'll be the first to make a contribution, the Australian trio were spotted just over a week ago filming the new Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X and a BMW (I'm guessing the new 135i Coupe) at Camden airport in NSW - on the runway of course.

This was spotted by an employee of Camden airport who also posts on the Australian LS1 forums.

This was spotted by an employee of Camden airport who also posts on the Australian LS1 forums.

I believe you, but got a link? I want to read it. :)

(Again, I believe you, I just am interested in reading it. ;))

Sure thing, here is the link.

In case it won't let you read it without signing up, here is what the entire post says:

My Little brother works at Camden airport and today Top Gear Australia where out filming a New Evo and a BMW on the Runway. Hopefully this show is a ripper and won't be long till we see it!

I wonder if this is where they will do the main filming, i guess to try and replicate the Real top gear they pretty much need a Runway and also a track!

Yeah, guests can read it. :)

Interesting...

Could Camden airport be the official Top Gear AU base camp.

I wonder if they were comparing the Evo and Bimmer or filming them seperately? Would seem an odd comparo to do. Almost as odd as comparing the new Evo against the new WRX haha...

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a comparison - if anything I hope it was.

The Evo X and what I presume would have been the 135i Coupe are relatively on par for both price and performance, believe it or not.

The BMW is powered by the International Engine Award outright winner, and many have dubbed it as the car to buy for around $70,000.

Very unexpected but very valid comaprison, and definitely a breath of fresh air from the usual Holden v Ford or Evo v WRX tests you get from Australia car mags.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a comparison - if anything I hope it was.

The Evo X and what I presume would have been the 135i Coupe are relatively on par for both price and performance, believe it or not.

The BMW is powered by the International Engine Award outright winner, and many have dubbed it as the car to buy for around $70,000.
That is true. The Bimmer 135i has been receiving rave reviews all over the globe. Even if its an ugly mug...

Maybe that was a comparo against the Evo then. I might go camp out outside this Camden airport and get all the latest scoops, if this is TGAU's base camp :ph34r:

The evo is pretty damn expensive now so it is approaching the price range of the 135i so not as odd as it would seemed a few years ago.

You beauty, I hope they'll film the hangar section in Sydney - wonder when they'll be selling tickets to be in the audience for the show?

no matter where it is

if the show is good im making my way to the audience at least once

no matter how far i have to drive

They put a form on the website to register interest for tickets many months ago, but nothing seems to have come of it.
Yeah :(

I would've expected filming to have begun with the audience by now. I guess we can expect it in the near future.

I've heard from a couple of mates that work on a mine site say that the Super pit in Kalgoorlie was used sometime last week so that they could get shots of a Subaru wrx, evo lancer, HSV GTS and an FPV Typhoon as well as some other cars.

Not exactly a filming location, but I was in Rodd & Gunn at Chatswood Chase today buying a couple of shirts. It seems Mark "Tubby" Taylor was in the store earlier and bought the same style shirt (he's a 42 inch waist :(). The assistant then went on to tell me about the other "celebs" who shop there ... Jessica Rowe (Channel 10) apparently does the shopping for her male co-presenters ... and she also told me that the Australian Top Gear presenters had been in the store 2 weeks ago picking up clothes for the show.

On airing date, all they could say was "after the olympics" and on tickets to the studio filming, they said to look at the website .... and it looks like there is a form for registering there now:
http://www.freehandtv.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=9

Apparently, the studio will be like Top Gear ie: standing room and no seats.