Top Gear Australia to Channel 9

I'm guessing that last night's effort is about as much as we can expect from Nein, and exceeded my (justifiably low) expectations. I wonder how long it will last?

Until the next cricket match?

Or probably Origin....:p

Yay, nice to hear that!

Now all they need to do is show them in chronoloco! order :)

Chronology isn't Nine's strong suit.

The new episode last night rated 3rd for the night with 1,385,000 viewers. The US special netted 1,152,000 and ranked 8th.

Hopefully the drop after those butchered episodes will convince Nine not to fuck with the show again.

Last edited:
Looks like (for now) GO! will be showing TG twice a week: Thursdays 8:30pm and Sundays 6:30pm. Of course, given that GO! change their schedule every 4 days or so, expect TG to move around a lot. Although I can see TG becoming to GO! what Two And A Half Men is to Nein and The Simpsons is to Ten.

I think GO!'s relationship with TopGear will be more like the one it has with The Big Bang Theory. New episodes on Nine with old repeats on GO! several times a week.

I think GO!'s relationship with TopGear will be more like the one it has with The Big Bang Theory. New episodes on Nine with old repeats on GO! several times a week.

That's what I mean: constant re-runs of TG on GO! This wouldn't be a bad thing if Nein had any idea of how to insert ads with a little more sympathy and didn't cut the show to pieces ...

sorry if already been written, but is there a start date for TGA Season 3?

Sure it's been posted but going to mention it anyway, anyone noticed that a lot of the music in the reviews is different in the episodes being aired on Nine?

Same episode that I downloaded ages ago that aired in the UK has different music. Must be some licensing issue.

Sure it's been posted but going to mention it anyway, anyone noticed that a lot of the music in the reviews is different in the episodes being aired on Nine?

Same episode that I downloaded ages ago that aired in the UK has different music. Must be some licensing issue.

The law in the UK allows the BBC to use any music thay like and pay a blanket payment rather than paying royalties individually to each artist like an ordinary TV network has to. The law only applies to the BBC though, so they have to change some of the music before selling it to overseas networks.

same thing happens with the music when they show episodes on Dave. in some ways it actually ruins the episodes for me, because the music plays quite a large roll in how you see the episode and the atmosphere that's created.

Loss of car show Top Gear to hit SBS hard
Michael Bodey From: The Australian March 01, 2010 12:00AM
THE loss of British car show Top Gear to the Nine Network will have a material effect upon the ability of the public broadcaster to commission Australian productions, according to Matt Campbell, SBS's director of television and online content.

"The loss of Top Gear is certainly a blow to us, and it is a blow to the producers sitting in the room, because Top Gear for the last four years has been funding many of your programs," Mr Campbell told delegates at the 2010 Australian International Documentary Conference in Adelaide last week.

"So the loss of Top Gear is a serious issue for SBS and not one of my happiest moments in my TV career.

"But that's business."

He described BBC Worldwide's sale of the series to Nine as "particularly dirty business".

He said advertising revenue from the program was "quite a few millions -- and without it, frankly, we are in the shit", and that its loss was exacerbated by the fall in ad revenue during the global financial crisis.

Mr Campbell said the government's additional $4 million funding for SBS this year would be irrelevant for programming as it is "a long way short" of the loss in advertising revenue for 2009-10.

"How dire is it?" he asked of SBS's budgeting. "It's dire. We have no money for online; we have no money for SBS TWO."

SBS's new subscription TV arts channel, Studio, which will be launched on April 1, was one immediate means to increase revenue.

Mr Campbell expressed envy at ABC head of TV Kim Dalton, noting the ABC had spent $26m on the documentary genre alone in the past year. Mr Campbell said the SBS had $21m to spend on all genres in commissioning and, it is understood to have far less than that for acquisitions.

"We're now in a situation where the ABC has been looked after and now we know the commercial networks have been looked after," he said. " I won't even be bitter about it, it's good for them all; that's now an open door for us to go to the government and say `Surely, we're next?"

There is some optimism within SBS that chairman Joseph Skrzynski will deliver after the broadcaster lost influence and lobbying power within Canberra under its former chairman, Carla Zampatti. The board and management will meet in a fortnight to assess future strategies.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-to-hit-sbs-hard/story-e6frg996-1225835359581

I really feel sorry for him and everyone else that worked their arses off to get the show running there. Makes me wanna take an axe down to nein's studios and hit everyone with it.

channel 9 probably passed on it way back when, while sbs took a chance

SBS had $21m to spend on all genres in commissioning and, it is understood to have far less than that for acquisitions.

Considering that Nein allegedly spent $19m to acquire the rights to the TG franchise for 2 years, no wonder SBS couldn't compete.

Kudos to SBS for punching above their weight for so long. And fuck you Nein and BBC Worldwide for ruining the TG experience for Australian fans. :mad: It's almost as if you WANT us to pirate TG ...

they honestly didn't say that did they?

in the previews for next weeks 'new' ep, they cliped together footage of the cara-airship, ending with it tipping over at the end

Well, the SBS dilemma is certainly becoming evident because they're scooping up every show with Hammond and May in it and getting it on the air ASAP.