Top Gear Australia to Channel 9

Hi Brydiem. You say "... on SBS it was tended to and loved like the superstar child it is." That's just not true. If it was, why hasn't there been a third series yet? The answer is obviously that SBS haven't loved Top Gear Australia enough to find the money to make a new series.

Besides, the show was constantly being criticised while the first two series were on air anyway. Maybe the move to Chanel Nine will be a disaster, but let's not gild the lilly. SBS haven't done much good for it since they've had it. It's never turned into an amazing show and that's always been the great shame. It should have and could have been a fantastic show but it has only been average at best.

Final point, if SBS has kept the ball rolling and kept the BBC (and the audience) happy, they wouldn't have made it available to new bidders.

a) that is because they get barely any funding for a TV station. Would you prefer 14 episodes and two seasons a year of complete and utter low-budget crap or fewer episodes and seasons spaced further apart, but better quality?

b) SBS has done the best they can IMO. They didn't have much to work with as far as resources and everybody was expecting this amazing supershow that is Top Gear UK. Personally, I don't like the show as Top Gear, but as a regular car show I do rate it as very good and above what is on Australian television as far as local car shows go.

c) The BBC has to legally offer the chance to take Top Gear to all people. Under the Trade Practices Act, if they only offered the rights to SBS/gave them first chance to make a bid secretly behind the other station's backs, they would be liable to civil action by nine/other television stations. So saying that if SBS had "kept everybody happy" would have given them exclusive rights to contract renegotiation is not only wrong, but illegal.

And I really think that the SBS loved Top gear and TG Aus a LOT. Top gear UK was their highest-rating program overall and TG Aus was their highest-rating local program. They are really going to suffer from this loss. They just didn't have the resources compared to a massive commercial station like Nine.

Last edited:
Then you clearly don't know anything at all.

Well Sooorrry.

God I'm sick of explaining this over and over again. SBS cut nothing. The BBC shows the original version (which can only be shown on the BBC due to UK law) and provide an edited "international" version for overseas networks. SBS never edited TopGear and I'll be very surprised if the deal with Nine will let them edit it either. They'll probably just finish overtime every week. Nine certainly doesn't mind ending its show late. In fact I suspect that they prefer to, it stops you from switching channels at the end of the show.

Since you know everything then how many edited versions do the BBC produce then?

Well i thought there's only the BBC Worldwide edition - the one we get (and presumably the rest of the world)

^ I'm pretty sure that's right, but I think that the respective broadcasters can edit them to a certain extent to allow for their "advertising policies". I think that there would just be guidleines in the contract and stuff to stop them from editing it down crazily.

a) that is because they get barely any funding for a TV station. Would you prefer 14 episodes and two seasons a year of complete and utter low-budget crap or fewer episodes and seasons spaced further apart, but better quality?

b) SBS has done the best they can IMO. They didn't have much to work with as far as resources and everybody was expecting this amazing supershow that is Top Gear UK. Personally, I don't like the show as Top Gear, but as a regular car show I do rate it as very good and above what is on Australian television as far as local car shows go.

c) The BBC has to legally offer the chance to take Top Gear to all people. Under the Trade Practices Act, if they only offered the rights to SBS/gave them first chance to make a bid secretly behind the other station's backs, they would be liable to civil action by nine/other television stations. So saying that if SBS had "kept everybody happy" would have given them exclusive rights to contract renegotiation is not only wrong, but illegal.

And I really think that the SBS loved Top gear and TG Aus a LOT. Top gear UK was their highest-rating program overall and TG Aus was their highest-rating local program. They are really going to suffer from this loss. They just didn't have the resources compared to a massive commercial station like Nine.

A: I just want to see a good show... and I don't think the first two series quite met the mark. I don't think more episodes is necessarily a good thing.

B: SBS didn't met the criteria for point A.

C: The BBC don't have to offer the show to any network they don't want to offer it to. It's their property and they can do whatever they want with it. And they have. Not necessarily for the better, but who knows how long we would have had to wait for SBS to find the money to make another series.

D: Oh. There was no D! :p

Well Sooorrry.

Since you know everything then how many edited versions do the BBC produce then?

There is the original version on BBC2, the "international" version for sale to overseas markets and there was a half-hour BBC America version, though I'm not sure if they still make that one.

A: I just want to see a good show... and I don't think the first two series quite met the mark. I don't think more episodes is necessarily a good thing.

B: SBS didn't met the criteria for point A.

C: The BBC don't have to offer the show to any network they don't want to offer it to. It's their property and they can do whatever they want with it. And they have. Not necessarily for the better, but who knows how long we would have had to wait for SBS to find the money to make another series.

D: Oh. There was no D! :p

On the C mark (the first two are your opinion, I respect that), there is a thing in Australian law called "restrictive trade practices". Basically it stops things like exclusive dealings, price fixing, etc. Basically what you have said there is illegal under this legislation- even though it is their property, it doesn't give them the right to only offer it to certain prospective buyers. A good example is food. The reason you don't see dealings like "such and such chips, only available in Coles supermarkets" and hear about brands making secret negotiations for exclusivity with one company over another is because it is basically unfair to companies and creates the danger of monopolies. What they can do, however (and this is what the BBC basically did) is set a price, offer it to everybody, take the best/first offer and then no longer offer it. That's how exclusivity must be obtained.

There is the original version on BBC2, the "international" version for sale to overseas markets and there was a half-hour BBC America version, though I'm not sure if they still make that one.

But is the "international" version the same, or is it edited for each specific country?

On the C mark (the first two are your opinion, I respect that), there is a thing in Australian law called "restrictive trade practices". Basically it stops things like exclusive dealings, price fixing, etc. Basically what you have said there is illegal under this legislation- even though it is their property, it doesn't give them the right to only offer it to certain prospective buyers. A good example is food. The reason you don't see dealings like "such and such chips, only available in Coles supermarkets" and hear about brands making secret negotiations for exclusivity with one company over another is because it is basically unfair to companies and creates the danger of monopolies. What they can do, however (and this is what the BBC basically did) is set a price, offer it to everybody, take the best/first offer and then no longer offer it. That's how exclusivity must be obtained.

You are probably right about much of that, but in this case, I don't think it's so complicated. BBC simply say, "The contract for Top Gear Australia is up for renewal. Anybody else want to make an offer?" The bidding war commences, the winner is the potential buyer who makes the best offer. End of story.

The head of SBS basically said as much in the press reports. Here's the quote:

SBS Managing Director Shaun Brown said: ?It is disappointing that a brand SBS has spent many years building is moving to a commercial network. ?SBS was the only Australian network brave enough to take on the irreverent series in 2005 and we have built it into successful event television with a dedicated audience. We are proud of what we have achieved with Top Gear.?SBS, with its limited resources, lives with the knowledge that while it can discover and develop great programs and events, it cannot always defend them from the aggressive bids of well-heeled competitors.?

Last edited:
But is the "international" version the same, or is it edited for each specific country?

There is one international version and it is edited by the BBC. SBS never edited it further. Whether foreign networks are allowed to edit more out of it themselves I don't know. I guess we'll find out early next year when the show hits Nine/WIN.

^^ yeah, that's basically what I meant, you phrased it better :lol:

Damn I'm slow, just read about this

As the general consensus has been about this (that is this is going to be the most horrible thing in the world since the Morris Marina) I have to totally agree.

As i've mentioned in another thread I personally not that annoyed that they are going to destroy Top Gear Australia as I dont watch it. But what I am worried about is how its going to affect the Top Gear brand in Australia.

Most likely this move to nine is going to destroy and lower Top Gear Australia to a new low with blatant advertising of cars in segments and numerous endorsements of brands and Nine TV shows during the show. We can also be guranteed that they will never be critical on any brand or car which we all know is one of the top points of Top Gear which is saying it as it is.

I would also assume that they will be toning done the whole show into a more traditional car show as nine isnt the sort of channel which enjoys taking risks and attracting critcism. Sure no channels like to but for nine I can see them attempt as much as possible not even getting close to one. So that pretty much takes away stunts and more free speech.

I wonder if nine would exploit the live audience by forcing them to wear shirts with brands on them?

Anyway so from assuming all this TGA is most likely going to be horrible and is going to be opposite to TGUK in almost all aspects.

Concerning the TGUK episodes im not too worried about them as though its pretty guranteed that they will add a few more advertisements, in essence its still Top Gear UK and seeing that the regular international versions havent really detracted viewers I dont see a slightly more edited version would be any worse for your average viewer. I wouldnt also worry about the time slot also as nine would be well aware that Top Gear attracts the masses so it would be pretty damn idiotic of them not to exploit this and give it a static non movable prime slot.

The only problem here is that if TGA is going to be as bad as we all think, it could destroy the viewership of TGUK and its brand in Australia. SBS's TGA never reached that low as we always saw that TGUK viewership is always normal after TGA finishes airing everytime.

Anyway i've joined the Facebook group in hopes that it will get some media attention as it worked for a high school friend who made a "Dont censor the chaser" facebook group and it got on the news even though it only had 100 members.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/09/2593127.htm

Also should we email the BBC complaints thing? as they usually do reply and did when I complained about hessmo lol.

Last edited:
^ well, we have 58 members so far, so we are well on the way to more than 100! :lol:

I've gone into paranoid mode now that this group might actually take off and I will get in trouble from nine and my new employer (who probably doesn't want me with this sort of publicity) for it!!!!!
Yes, I am a highly paranoid and irrational person by nature. :(

Last edited:
I like the one with the SBS logo, looks more serious and professional than the nein one. But if your paranoid maybe just make another facebook account and leave the group and get that account to join the group as the admin?

But even if you do that your name would be on some of the posts but it wont show you as creator though! lol

An Open Letter to Andy Wilman

"Dear Mr. Wilman,

I've just heard that TopGear Australia is going to Nine. I'm gravely concerned about who's paying for lunch.

As you would know, the pure essence of TopGear has always been based on a platform of free speech and honesty. Before the challenges, before all the 'cocking about' there was always an underlying truth to the message. There was trust. You knew if Jeremy thought it was shit, he'd say so, no matter how many tyres he'd destroyed in the process. The BBC paid for it's own damn lunch, and you knew it.

And it's upon this solid foundation of trust that the Top Gear brand is built. Beyond all the hypertainment it's the real reason that TopGear is the global phenomenon it is today.

But you knew that.

To my mind this was one of the main problems with TopGear Australia on SBS. This commercial 'pollution' was always the 300kg elephant in the corner. It compromised the essence of the brand. At every step you wondered who was paying for lunch and what they expected for their money. Even if no real folding money changed hands, we all know there's no such thing as a free lunch. The more that advertisers were involved, the less we were able to trust the integrity of TopGear.

The move to Channel Nine is the ultimate lunch deal. It will strip the last shred of trust and integrity from TopGear Australia. You know the lunches will be epic and that those paying will want their pound of product cocking about. It will be well-cooked, sure, but it won't be TopGear. Not really.

After 20 years in the advertising circus I reckon I know what makes a great brand. And I'd like to think you do too. My only suggestion is to have TGA independently produced and then sell it 'per season' to the highest bidder, much in the same way TGUK is. Maybe that's a fanciful notion but it's the only way I can see to save a good show from the ultimate decay that seems to be its destiny.

Anyway, if you'd like to discuss this further, I'm always up for lunch. I'll even pay.

Regards, Icedvovo"

Last edited:
^ well, we have 58 members so far, so we are well on the way to more than 100! :lol:

I've gone into paranoid mode now that this group might actually take off and I will get in trouble from nine and my new employer (who probably doesn't want me with this sort of publicity) for it!!!!!
Yes, I am a highly paranoid and irrational person by nature. :(

Bah, you've got nothing to worry about. Internet is anonymous :p
You and every one else has a right to free speech

Btw, Facebook probably has some privacy option to select if you get really worried :)

"Dear Mr. Wilman,

I've just heard that TopGear Australia is going to Nine. I'm gravely concerned about who's paying for lunch.

Regards, Icedvovo"

Well put!

"Dear Mr. Wilman,

I've just heard that TopGear Australia is going to Nine. I'm gravely concerned about who's paying for lunch."

Nicely put, but I don't think it's going to stop us from being inflicted with the Yokohama Hot Lap, the Castrol Cool Wall and the Shannons Star In A Bog Standard Car, which - judging by The Car Show's website - will magically morph into a Mazda2. Possibly dressed up with Castrol, Yokohama, Carsales dot com dot au and Shannons stickers.

One (minor) plus side has occured to me. Well, other than the one with the schaudenfraude will feel when this abortion of a show dies within 3 weeks of the first episode going to air, of course. Anyway, back to this plus side ... you could have a very fun drinking game with the new TGA - every time there is blatant product placement, have a swig. I guarantee anyone this side of an engineering student or bank manager will have passed out by the time they get to Shannons SIABSC ...

Last edited:
Mum just saw a ad on channel nine for Top Gear. All it says though is coming soon. They're getting in early with the advertising for it.