Top Gear Australia to Channel 9

Thanks.

Yeah, it could be because we get WIN.

WIN have started showing it now. They just edit out the "Channel Nine" bits. It still refers to a "new Home" and "the home of entertainment".

Did anyone else feel a little dirty when you saw that promo? *shudders*

Dirty? No. I think if I ever saw the Stig standing before a white background and pressing an imaginary blue button in the middle of the screen in a TEN promo, then I'd probably feel a little unclean.

Well, the last episode was just shown on SBS, and they made a bit of a leaving message. A conglomeration of Top Gear clips saying Top Gear has "burnt out", and left SBS for a big bag of money.

I worked out what it is that i don't like about TG going to nine...

It's the fact that it's already 8 years old in the current format and, in my opinion at least, is perilously close to jumping the shark as they say. Moving to a new channel with fresh promotion just doesn't seem right. You would think that anybody who would be interested in the show would have discovered it by now.

I'm just worried that this is a continuance of the trend TG is making to attract a new demographic and change it's style away from what it was that captured my interest in the first place.

Maybe i'm just being cynical. :dunno:

You would think that anybody who would be interested in the show would have discovered it by now.

Not really.

I like SBS and ABC, but there is a large section of the population out there who simply refuse to watch them. I can't tell you how many times I've spoken to people who sounded interested in checking TopGear out until I mentioned which station it was on, at which point I'd get "Oh... I don't watch SBS."

I can't tell you how many times I've spoken to people who sounded interested in checking TopGear out until I mentioned which station it was on, at which point I'd get "Oh... I don't watch SBS."

So that confirms what i suspected... they are now targeting the show at complete morons.
Brilliant.

Neither SBS nor Nine have any say in how TopGear is made and what is in it. The show is targeted, by the BBC, at licence-paying members of the British public. The people who make TopGear have never based their decisions about the production of the show on what sections of the Australian public are watching it and they never will.

TopGear Australia is a different story, but at this stage, we have no idea what direction they are taking that in.

Last edited:
Neither SBS nor Nine have any say in how TopGear is made and what is in it.
What on earth are you talking about? Of course australia has no say in how TG is made and i never said anything like that.

I said i don't like that TG has moved to nine or the way nine is promoting it.

Last edited:
Oh, I thought you were saying that you don't like what TopGear will be like if it is marketed to the kind of people who don't watch SBS. Which didn't make any sense to me because the show will be the same no matter which network shows it and no matter how they market it.

^ There are two separate issues, they just coincidentally are similar problems that coincide...

1. I don't like the direction TG uk has been heading with recent episodes. It seems the bbc are targeting a demographic that i increasingly feel i don't belong to.

2. I don't like the move to nine and again, it is being marketed by nine towards a different audience than the original fans.

Sadly both of these points don't bode well for the new aussie TG.

However i don't want to be too cynical and i do hope that TG uk and aus continue to be as good as i know they can be.

Last edited:
^ There are two separate issues, they just coincidentally are similar problems that coincide...

1. I don't like the direction TG uk has been heading with recent episodes. It seems the bbc are targeting a demographic that i increasingly feel i don't belong to.

I dont mean to sound obtuse, but which demographic is that?

^ One which consists of people who have little interest in cars and more interest in seeing guys get hit in the testicles.

^ One which consists of people who have little interest in cars and more interest in seeing guys get hit in the testicles.

In marketing speak, that's the lower-middle class, under 35 female market.
Replace the 'female' in the earlier sentence with 'male' and you have the basic target demographic for Channel 9.

From WIN TV's website-

The show that holds the crown of the world?s most popular television program comes to WIN in 2010!

Seen in more than 100 countries with over 350 million viewers world wide Top Gear takes you on a journey through all things car related.

With a new engine, grease and oil change, and a tune-up, the Australian version of the World Famous Top Gear is the ultimate entertainment experience for any automotive enthusiast.

Featuring a brand new Australian host, crazy challenges, new segments and the latest car reviews, Top Gear Australia is stepping up a gear.

:(

That's interesting, only one new host. From the way that reads at least they are keeping two of the hosts from SBS. :hmm: