Top Gear Australia to Channel 9

Given that TG is one of the worlds most viewed shows, you'd think they would give it more airtime, after all its all about ratings isn't it? Surely they could air it over 90mins, that would provide enough time for ads too. This has me worried about TG Aus, given the popularity of TG UK and the way Ch9 is treating it, i think TG AUs is going to be an almightly flop, and this is from someone who gave TG Aus a good chance and watched every episode.

*sigh* back to downloading TGUK episodes.....

Oh funny how they won't allow a hotmail/windows live email account when leaving your feedback on the show given all the advertising for it on Ch9 webiste :lol:

Last edited:
Expect TG to be banished to GO! within 6 months.

Dunno. Even if they're paying $100k per ep they must be bringing in at least $2m in advertising per ep.

That's addictive returns for them.

If they turf it to Go! they lose all the revenue and still have to pay for the show. I imagine they're paying almost nothing for the current Go! content.

I reckon they can suffer quite low ratings before they even blink.

Despite the grumbles here over the amount of advertising they jammed in, there will be lots of back patting and beer drinking over long lunches at Channel Nine today. If the ratings figures remain anywhere near that, the show won't be heading to GO! anytime soon. I'll bet they're all ecstatic.

What this does prove is that a lot of Australians simply don't watch stuff on SBS, simply because it's on SBS. How tragic.

Only the first episode had 1.68 million viewers. It fell to 1.24 million for the Winter Olympics special. Which is ironic, because I think the special is the funniest TopGear episode they've ever made. Even 1.24 million is higher than what SBS used to get. On SBS the ratings usually hovered around 1 million.

Series 14, Episode 1 was the highest rating programme on TV yesterday and the TG Winter Olympics was the sixth.

Only the first episode had 1.68 million viewers. It fell to 1.24 million for the Winter Olympics special. Which is ironic, because I think the special is the funniest TopGear episode they've ever made. Even 1.24 million is higher than what SBS used to get. On SBS the ratings usually hovered around 1 million.

Series 14, Episode 1 was the highest rating programme on TV yesterday and the TG Winter Olympics was the sixth.

I think you'll find the viewers will drop off the hover around that mark, while it leads into the Olympic coverage...after that it will drop off to what SBS had...

Remember SBS had this show before the "gen pop" knew about it and SBS brought it (viewership/ratings) up to what it is today

1.68 million is still a lot less than the 2 million Nine thought they'd get for Top Gear.

I remeber David Gyngell saying that they were hoping for a 50% increase in TopGear's ratings, which would take it to 1.5 million. They've met that with the first episode.

Remember SBS had this show before the "gen pop" knew about it and SBS brought it (viewership/ratings) up to what it is today

It will still gain a lot of new viewers from amongst the large segment of the Australian population so simply will not watch anything on SBS.

Maybe...conversely alot of people don't watch Nine because all they show is cricket and 2 1/2 men repeats.

I think you can't take a fair reading of numbers until the Olympics are over...

Also SBS had most of their viewers tuning in to watch Top Gear then tune back out again...considering most of the viewers SBS collected for Top Gear was only due to word of mouth

I remeber David Gyngell saying that they were hoping for a 50% increase in TopGear's ratings, which would take it to 1.5 million. They've met that with the first episode.

It will still gain a lot of new viewers from amongst the large segment of the Australian population so simply will not watch anything on SBS.

SBS isn't as widely available as the Big 3 either.

I think rating will settle to around the 1.4m mark. The man in the street would think it's brilliant Top Gear is on Nine and at a reasonable time slot (and it'll continue to be so while they can still ask massive sums from their advertisers). We're obviously going to be a harder crowd to please given we've already seen the episodes in their uncut entirety. The average viewer wont have logged onto Finalgear and downloaded the latest episode from the UK. They're not going to know the music has been changed (admitedly, the music in the Winter Olympic episode appeared largely intact) or that major segments have been sliced (not by Nine, but by the BBC themselves).

They're not going to know [snip] that major segments have been sliced (not by Nine, but by the BBC themselves).

The slicing of last night's episode went way beyond what the BBC do when they are editing the international version. It had an extra 10 minutes or so removed from it.

It had an extra 10 minutes or so removed from it.

That's my figure too.

;)

The Ch9 website comments are starting to flow through. They're gonna wish they didn't ask. ;)

Last edited:
I think you can't take a fair reading of numbers until the Olympics are over...
If it were the summer olympics I'd agree, but the Winter Olympics are rating on par or worse than the usual 9:30pm stuff, and have been between .7 an .9m.

The cutting was afwul. Nine should just let it run overtime by 15 minutes like every other show, so they can fit the ads in but show the SBS cut of the show.

its interesting to see that they're allowing the negative comments to be published. although mine didn't seem to make it, i don't think i was too harsh :p

i'll continue watching the bbc version :)

it seems that they are letting just about all the comments through, my comment made it in there

"Thanks
Posted by: paulw85, Sydney, on 17/02/2010 06:56:45
Thanks nein, thanks for butchering S14E01."

it seems that they are letting just about all the comments through, my comment made it in there

"Thanks

Some of the comments are actually interesting,like pointing out the fact that bits from S14E01 that were in Nine ads over recent weeks weren't show last night.

"Thanks

Seems like they pulled the pin at around 10:30 this morning as that's the time stamp on the last comment. Mine must have been after that.

Probably just weren't getting the positive spin they thought they would get and called enough on the exercise.

They're making money but no friends it would seem.

;)

Who needs friends when you have money? Especially when you're a TV station and your main goal is to make money and making friends isn't a priority at all?

It's the 'Alpha' way. Very Nein.

I hate you Channel Nein :(

Oh well, at least I got to test out TG on our families new TV, and I'm not longer upset about going to uni on Tuesday nights and missing TG, because it's the butchered version! :)