Top Gear beat the camera confirmed by Mythbusters

STrRedWolf

Car(s)
Looking for one.
Today's episode of Mythbusters just aired for East Coast folk... but I can't resist spoiling it. Remember the first episode of Top Gear, which they beat the speed camera in a TVR going 174 mph?

Initially (last season) the Mythbusters tried it, but wasn't able to replicate it... but they weren't going 174 mph! So folks flooded their fansite (http://discovery.com/mythbusters) and said "HEY! Get in contact with the BBC, grab a copy of Top Gear 1x1. You're TOO SLOW!"

Today, they revisited it... with a drag racer. It went 243 mph on two runs, and...

...didn't trigger a US made speed camera rated for 200 mph on both runs.

The hosts (Adam and Jamie) did mention a "British TV car show" and rounded the speed up to 180 mph, but noted that UK cameras needed to take two photos, while US cameras only take one. They also noted the camera was rated up to 200 mph.

damn i missed that episode, i always forget when mythbusters is on,

I have noticed that recently all the episodes seem more rushed, stupid producers :p

Mythbusters is why I miss having cable. And it just so happens that my parents have BBC America now, so they can watch Top Gear on a big TV, and not my small laptop screen. Arrggh </rant>

Mythbusters always seams to be behind Top Gear with car related myths. Well, the two they had in common.

the mythbusters always fuck something up in all of their experiments, and I don't think they would show any methods that would actually beat speed cameras and shit, but it was cool to see a vague reference to TG, even if they pretty much said you couldn't do it in anything short of a jet drag racer(which of course, you could).

I only watch Mythbusters for Kari <3<3<3

can u get MB on DVD or something? i always miss new MB's im sick of discovery channel on sky showing repeats.

how do us cameras work with just one shot then?

MythBusters.S05E18.WS.DSR.XviD-CRiMSON

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

how do us cameras work with just one shot then?

They record your speed and take a pic if yer driving o fast! we have the same in sweden.. But here they have to be able to identify the driver.. So the cameras are pointing "the other way" :p

They record your speed and take a pic if yer driving o fast! we have the same in sweden.. But here they have to be able to identify the driver.. So the cameras are pointing "the other way" :p

How do they "prove" you are speeding though?

Although UK fixed cameras can relatively accurately tell the speed of the car. There's also white lines marked at set intervals on the road

800px-Gatso.camera.arp.jpg

The second image is taken (i beleive) 1/2 a second later. The distance travelled and thus speed is used as a back up.

In the UK my guess is that our cameras only have a range of maybe 70 mph. So once they are set to trigger at say 80mph they cant cope with anything above 150.

In sweden i think they are using a radar...

Thats the problem I've had with all their speeding experiments, they ONLY catch the car. US law requires they find out more than just the car. The camera has no idea if the car was stolen or borrowed. But then this is also why I don't care for speeding cameras, they don't catch criminals.

In fact in another thread Spectre has proven this:

Spectre said:
1. The Fifth Amendment of the US Constitution says that the accused cannot be compelled to testify against themselves. Speeding here is a misdemeanor (or in some cases a felony depending on how fast) *crime* - and the penalties must be assessed against the driver, not just against the owner of the car.

So, since most speed cameras do not take a picture of the person operating the car, the government is unable to prove who is operating the car - and the owner can "take the fifth" and refuse to say who was driving it. In California, they tried putting up speed cameras and got shot down by a lot of lawyers - and then got countersued for violating people's Constitutional rights. Texas didn't bother - we've now banned speed cameras entirely.

2. The Sixth Amendment of the US Constitution says that the accused has the right to confront the witnesses against him; to cross-examine them. When an officer with a speed measurement device issues a ticket, he is using his own trained judgement to visually tell if you are speeding; the radar/lidar gun only confirms it and tells him just how fast you were going - or that's the legal theory, anyway. What it means is that you can cross-examine the officer in court; you can question the accuracy of his judgement, you can subpoena his patrol car's camera footage that may say different, you can ask if he could have been mistaken, if his radar gun was properly calibrated that day, if he was positive it was your car, et cetera.

It is impossible to cross-examine a speed camera. Was it in calibration at the time? Is the shutter time on the camera properly calibrated? Radar only tells you how fast the the fastest radar return is going - how did camera tell who that was (it can't)?

And before you ask about the use of photographs and video in other crimes, neither one of those is admissible in and of itself in American courts. It has to be introduced with a human (who observed the offense), or supported by other concrete evidence (proof that money was missing, bullets, etc., etc), otherwise it is not admissible.

Now the 91 between Riverside and Orange counties has a toll lane that uses a tag in the cars windshield for billing. If a car goes through without one of these tags they catch the license plate, and A) notify the cop sitting in the shoulder waiting or B) wait to see if said toll jumper comes again.

Last edited:
Scotty. It's a shame she left, but then she took a bit of offense with the use of pigs.

where did you hear that? I always thought that they didn't want another chick taking attention off of Kari. I always thought it was the redhead who didn't like the pigs, since every time they use them she freaks out and often notes that she's vegitarian and whatever.

I always thought it was the redhead who didn't like the pigs, since every time they use them she freaks out and often notes that she's vegitarian and whatever.

http://img101.imageshack.**/img101/4276/423870smmp4.jpg

"You are correct, sir!"