Top Gear black fade effect

Ice_warmer

I wonder how can you make that top gear black fade effect seen in most of all top gear segements, is there a program that i can run or something ?

Because photoshoping it frame by frame is pretty stupid sounding.

http://forums.finalgear.com/showthread.php?p=568113#post568113
http://forums.finalgear.com/showthread.php?p=543097#post543097
http://forums.finalgear.com/showthread.php?p=527244#post527244
http://forums.finalgear.com/showthread.php?p=504030#post504030

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MopDQYVW2JI[/youtube]

They put filters on their camera to achieve the effect. If you don't believe me, watch the Ford Focus ST review. I forget which season/epi that is though =/

Look for vignetting. Relatively easy to replicate, make a transparent png image e.g. with black/dark corners, and place it over your video. For pictures in PS you can use the lens correction filter to achieve this.

Of course in TG like ^LurkerPatrol said, it's done by placing a filter on the camera.

Look for vignetting. Relatively easy to replicate, make a transparent png image e.g. with black/dark corners, and place it over your video. For pictures in PS you can use the lens correction filter to achieve this.

Of course in TG like ^LurkerPatrol said, it's done by placing a filter on the camera.

May I ask what is the path for the lens correction filter in PS? I can't find it. :?

May I ask what is the path for the lens correction filter in PS? I can't find it. :?

Filter > Distort > Lens Correction :)

Because photoshoping it frame by frame is pretty stupid sounding.

Actually I forgot to mention that in fact it wouldn't be that difficult in photoshop to apply the correction frame by frame. If you could somehow cut the video file into frames, then you could easily load them into photoshop via batch process and run a lens correction action. It would do the lens correction for each frame and voila, you put it back together in your final movie.

So yes, it's a bit of a long-winded method and you are right, but that's why they use filters XD.

Np XD. Here's an example for y'all of the Photoshop Lens correction filter in use:

It may be hard to notice, just look at the difference in brightness at the edges ;)

Before:
lenscorrection1.jpg

After:
lenscorrection2.jpg

Filter > Distort > Lens Correction :)

Actually I forgot to mention that in fact it wouldn't be that difficult in photoshop to apply the correction frame by frame. If you could somehow cut the video file into frames, then you could easily load them into photoshop via batch process and run a lens correction action. It would do the lens correction for each frame and voila, you put it back together in your final movie.

So yes, it's a bit of a long-winded method and you are right, but that's why they use filters XD.

Vdub will output for you each single frame. Rest is like you said, record a simple action batch process, done.

As a matter of fact some people edit videos frame by frame, DoN does that with some of his Live For Speed videos, for instance.
LFS as a sim, FRAPS to capture the movies, VirtualDub to split the movies into frames, PHOTOSHOP to edit the frames, PREMIERE to put the frames into a movie, VirtualDub to compress the movie :)

Np XD. Here's an example for y'all of the Photoshop Lens correction filter in use:

It may be hard to notice, just look at the difference in brightness at the edges ;)

Good example. I use vignetting if I want "crop" unwanted distractions around the edges, or to put more focus on the subject. It can also be mechanically produced on a camera by putting a lens hood on a low zoom (10-30mm) lens.

Good example. I use vignetting if I want "crop" unwanted distractions around the edges, or to put more focus on the subject. It can also be mechanically produced on a camera by putting a lens hood on a low zoom (10-30mm) lens.

I do prefer the mechanical vignetting. Produces much better images IMHO.

Kinda off-topic, but you can do vignetting in GT4 Photomode aswell.

thanks everybody for the replys, so i've installed vdub, i've made a .png file and when i try to put in the filme (from filters - > logo) it says it doesn't have an alpha channel.

and that lens correction effect has been helpfull not for movies but for still pics :p(still can you break a movie into photoshop ?)

(still can you break a movie into photoshop ?)

Yes. Export the clip you wish to mess with as a filmstrip. Just select it from the
export list, I know Premiere supports it at least. Make sure your clip isn't too many
seconds because the files become quite large and heavy to work with.

But before you load it into photoshop you should export a single frame of the clip
you wish to work with, create an action with all the things to do, and then
run this action on the open filmstrip file. Save, load back into editing software and
boom. You've done it.