• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Top Gear Cameras?

TTaM

Car(s)
Audi TT
Does anyone know what kind of cameras they use to film Top Gear? I recently got my roommate into the show, who could car less about cars, but really enjoys the cinematography. He is an amatuer film maker and is curious. Does anyone know?

You could ask the BBC themselves. Don't know why they wouldn't tell you, not like they're some prototypes that need to be hidden from the world.

From the few backstage pics I've seen it's Digibeta.
I suppose they do alot of postproduction, to get that "film" look.

Yeah, I think that's right. They do some of the "film" look when filming, via filters. Then the vignetting (what people call the "Top Gear look"), and colour correction is done in post. Incredible cinematography sometimes (BMW M5 estate vs. Merc E63 film, et. al.).

And I can't figure out what the mini-cams they use are called. They're cylindrical and have an optional mount, but I can't find any mini cameras that really match.

I think that there already is a thread on this somewhere, with some info on it - I think upyourego posted something and he's a BBC employee, so should know a thing or two about it.

I think I'm right in saying they use Sony DVW-790WSP for the field work, although they may slowly be phasing in HighDef cameras.

I want to do a TopGear style review one day, and luckily I have a Sony camera. Unfortunately, it's a DCR-SR62 :lol:

I want to do a TopGear style review one day, and luckily I have a Sony camera. Unfortunately, it's a DCR-SR62 :lol:

So would I. And you have more chance. We have a Sony CCD-TR425E. Yes, Analogue. No, we can't afford anything else and my parents will not buy anything until the old one has died. :lol:<_<

I think I'm right in saying they use Sony DVW-790WSP for the field work, although they may slowly be phasing in HighDef cameras.

Since they are around $40,000, Im guessing the OP's friend wont be getting one of these anytime soon.

My favorite effects are the slo-mo effects they use in some of their films, makes me wonder if they do all their currentfield films using hi speed film.

Since they are around $40,000, Im guessing the OP's friend wont be getting one of these anytime soon.

True, but that's what they use and that was the question. There's always the option of renting the camera but even this ain't cheap at about $400/day.

I remember noticing a huge difference in film quality on the Discovery channel US releases, especially on the test track. Seems like they just threw raw footage of the power laps onto the final release with absolutely no editing. (besides cutting the clip) Same thing for the in-studio segments, they just looked very unpolished.

Loss in film quality ? The sort of loss converting PAL to NTSC ?

I'm not sure about that, it was just unedited so none of the usual "Top Gear Effects" (vignetting and gradual filters) were used, just looked very bland.

Does anyone know what kind of cameras they use to film Top Gear? I recently got my roommate into the show, who could car less about cars, but really enjoys the cinematography. He is an amatuer film maker and is curious. Does anyone know?

You would probably find that no one could care less about "cameras" on this message board;) By the way, by "could care less" do you mean that he likes cars enough that he could care less about them or did you mean to write "he couldn't care less"? Reason I've asked is because I have seen this phrase used before and I wondered if it was a mistake or it actually means they "could care less".