Top Gear Cameras?

I don't want to derail this thread, but "could care less" is used regularly instead of "couldn't care less" in speech in the U.S. Yes it is retarded, and no lets not have another U.S. vs British english debate here, or anywhere else for that matter.

Loss in film quality ? The sort of loss converting PAL to NTSC ?
There shouldn't be any quality loss when converting PAL to NTSC apart from resolution, since NTSC is 640x480 anamorphic and PAL is 720x576. You just slow it down from 25 fps to 24 and then telecine to 30 fps interlaced. If done correctly, no quality loss.

So you say, since there is no quality loss, you can convert the NTSC back to PAL again without losing anything? (exept the resolution)

If you use lossless formats, yes. But if you transcode from xvid to mpeg2 dvd then back to xvid for instance (both lossy), you will lose quality. But that has nothing to do with converting between PAL and NTSC.

I don't want to derail this thread, but "could care less" is used regularly instead of "couldn't care less" in speech in the U.S. Yes it is retarded, and no lets not have another U.S. vs British english debate here, or anywhere else for that matter.

Dude !!!!!! Love your avatar. Darkplace FTW !!!!

Back to the subject at hand, you may want to have your friend look at the Pixel Corps. They do alot of video photography and produce many podcasts at pixelcorps.tv (including MacBreak). It may be worth checking out as they're experimenting with the "Red" camera (a completely digital cam).

I wasn't going to bring it up, as I figured I'd let it pass...

...but that always sets my 'pedant' sense off, for some reason.