Top Gear China?

wouldn't expect anything out of that, although I hope car interest is generated.

Would be interesting. China does have a massive automotive industry. I read somewhere there were 40+ companies.

Rumor is the Chinese Stig was born with a birth defect.. and was aptly named Sum Ting Wong.

Well so far it seems that Hunan TV was planning to do the Chinese version for quite a long time. CCTV is the biggest broadcaster in China for sure, but as a government owned TV station there are quite a lot of restrictions. Not sure they could do it.

Actually the Hunan version has not gone well either. They knew there were some other not very successful spinoffs and don't want to repeat that. Rumours say they had difficulties finding proper presenters, since they couldn't find blokes who really understand television and automobile at the same time. And what cars? China is a young country in terms of automotive industry, you can't satisfy millions of viewers who have thousands of opinions at the same time. Really hope they do well.

Last edited:
i come from china..
i heard it recently.
maybe there will be a xiang'sheng actor called CaoYunJin as a co-presenter.
but i'm not interested in topgear china version...the car show here is not popular and i doubt the crew can get any supercars.

and there is another problem...bbc is not allowed to put any ads on their show, however there is no tv channel like that in china.

the top gear magazine is called ??????
i don't know whether your internet browser can show chinese charactor.
it means ??:motor??:test??:report
but it did have a BBC logo on the top.
i've bought some of them, one i remembered quite well is the race between veryon and F1 ..
there are not as much the original articles as the uk topgear magazine

I'm impressed, it's been over four hours and no asian driving jokes.

Looks like we better create another subforum. ;)

But I'm excited for Top Gear increasing their presence in China. The biggest car market in the world could do with some excitement, hell, some higher standards. The Chinese population is rapidly becoming more and more car-savvy, from buying foreign cars to developing an interest in racing (see Shanghai F1) and hoonage, and introducing an mainstream enthusiast program to them is a step in the right direction. And if it can bank off the influence of the Top Gear name in general, hopefully it can shape up some of the utterly embarrassing Chinese makers into producing stuff that aren't shameless knockoffs. (That is wishful thinking, however.)

Also, "DIS CAR GO REARRY FAST!" :rolleyes:

Chinese Topgear can only be a good idea... so 40+ car companies all presumably owned by the government. One bad review and they'll need new presenters.

i got more pictures to show top gear china is on their way....
i like top gear UK only ~but i do hope top gear china good as well ~~
china is a young country for motorsport so plz have mercy~
lots of my chinese friends and i talk about top gear and cars during cafe time~
and they do have their own thought ~and they do love cars and turning their cars~

after i dont have to wait someone check my post ~i will post more picture

I do agree with some guys that the chinese spinoff is pointless and I don't think it's gonna work. They do that simply because the uk version is popular in China for some years. I mean I do hope it works, but if not, just stop and watch the uk one.

btw, the chinese tg mag is basically a auto mag with 1/3 translated content from the previous month's british tg mag

some other pictures of the rumor

23a91ddd5e0ab05a4854036c.jpg

some say this is the host.

c30676f8fe7100c09f51466c.jpg

have no idea who she is

9cd5f01ecfbddac286d6b66d.jpg

it seems that the chinese version(tiger) of 25 anniversary m3 is in the show

144e3bf2db8ad48a7831aa6d.jpg

hmm, the show might be interesting based on those cars..

I do agree with some guys that the chinese spinoff is pointless and I don't think it's gonna work. They do that simply because the uk version is popular in China for some years. I mean I do hope it works, but if not, just stop and watch the uk one.

i do agree with you !

btw, the chinese tg mag is basically a auto mag with 1/3 translated content from the previous month's british tg mag

some other pictures of the rumor

23a91ddd5e0ab05a4854036c.jpg

some say this is the host.
have no idea who she is
it seems that the chinese version(tiger) of 25 anniversary m3 is in the show
hmm, the show might be interesting based on those cars..
Rehosted the images for you-- Baidu does not allow hotlinking.
https://pic.armedcats.net/q/qu/quiky/2011/02/08/topgearchina-1.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/q/qu/quiky/2011/02/08/topgearchina-2.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/q/qu/quiky/2011/02/08/topgearchina-3.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/q/qu/quiky/2011/02/08/topgearchina-4.jpg

i come from china..
i heard it recently.
maybe there will be a xiang'sheng actor called CaoYunJin as a co-presenter.
but i'm not interested in topgear china version...the car show here is not popular and i doubt the crew can get any supercars.

and there is another problem...bbc is not allowed to put any ads on their show, however there is no tv channel like that in china.

the top gear magazine is called ??????
i don't know whether your internet browser can show chinese charactor.
it means ??:motor??:test??:report
but it did have a BBC logo on the top.
i've bought some of them, one i remembered quite well is the race between veryon and F1 ..
there are not as much the original articles as the uk topgear magazine
Do not worry the BBC does not advertise (in the Ukania at least). The magazine is not directly related to the BBC it is an independent organisation that has a licence to use Top Gear name and logo.

Oh snappy title Motor test report!

I don't think this will work, what are they going to test? Chery QQ vs BYD F0? lol.