Top Gear China?

Ellie

Really?

Next week BBC Worldwide is hosting BBC Showcase China, a screening event for over 100 Chinese TV buyers in Beijing including state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV), as well as regional, local and digital networks. BBCW is offering more than 500 hours of programmes from its catalogues. China already has local-language versions of BBC entertainment formats such as Dancing With the Stars and Top Gear.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/chinese-‘office’-finds-its-partner/

This forum has really dropped the ball on this, if it is true.
Maybe they are talking about the magazine and sub-titled Top Gear? ... but it doesn't sound like it.
There is a web site, but I can't make head or tail of it: http://www.topgear.com.cn/

Maybe they are talking about the magazine and sub-titled Top Gear? ... but it doesn't sound like it.

I wouldn't think so, since it's mentioned along with Dancing With the Stars and I'm not so sure the latter format could sustain a monthly mag's-worth of material.

Any forum peeps in/near China or who know other peeps in/near China that could look into this?

^ I don't know .. I'm always amazed at how Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton seem to fill 3 or 4 different magazines at the supermarket checkout each week. "Dancing With The Stars Exclusive Pictorial - Bruce Forsyth in a mankini at Bognor Regis".

I doubt that finalgear.com makes it through the Chinese internet filter ... it doesn't host any torrents. :whistle:

Here's a photo of the copy of Top Gear magazine I bought last time I was in Shanghai:

P1040634.jpg

I mostly bought it for the lulz since I can't read Chinese :)

Other than that, as far as I remember, finalgear.com works quite nicely in China.

I'd have serious doubts that it would translate well as a concept on the mainland. "Driving enjoyment" as a concept is utterly alien, as people are either in cities and are driven around in status symbols, or are in the countryside and use trucks, vans, and buses.

This is actually a great idea, and I've often wondered myself why this hasn't already been done. The Chinese are absolutely crazy about cars. It's hard to say quite why, but I would say that they're one of the most-car-crazy countries in the world. Everyone aspires to have a nice car (or the men at least), unlike here in the US where many don't really seem to care what they drive. I just have to wonder who'd present it.

And @Labcoatguy, while driving enjoyment may be somewhat alien to many Chinese, (not all, I know one who intentionally bought a manual BMW), I think it's a concept they'd pick up very quickly indeed.

Last edited:
Are TV programs the only good export the British have ever had? Besides the Pilgrims and/or the Beatles, I suppose, depending on your tastes.

At first I thought this was a great idea and the hosts could have tons of hilarity poking fun at trend of Chinese copycat vehicles, but then I remembered that's probably a pipe dream in the state-controlled media.

I'd have serious doubts that it would translate well as a concept on the mainland. "Driving enjoyment" as a concept is utterly alien, as people are either in cities and are driven around in status symbols, or are in the countryside and use trucks, vans, and buses.

As more Chinese fill into the middle class or have access to mobility, they're going to want to drive faster, better, cooler cars. As status symbols go, Top Gear certainly can point the way to a few more of them. Besides, there's no shortage of Chinese hoons over there.

Are TV programs the only good export the British have ever had? Besides the Pilgrims and/or the Beatles, I suppose, depending on your tastes.

Of course not. There's cucumber sandwiches, bowler hats, red telephone boxes, marmite, whisky, Tom Jones and Harry Potter. :)

Not to mention, the English language, Greenwich Mean Time, the industrial revolution, soccer, rugby, cricket, tennis, athletics, snow skiing, badminton, squash, crochet, table tennis, billiards, snooker, gut barging, caber tossing .. and just about every other sport you can think of.

China's ready for Top Gear. Any country that can manufacture a traffic jam lasting two weeks is ready for a satirical show about cars.

Did you mean crochet or croquet? Actually, I'm not sure we can lay claim to either, but I quite like the idea of the manufacture of woollen teacosies and toilet roll covers as a competitive sport.

You also forgot bog snorkelling and cheese rolling - and morris dancing, of course.

Last edited:
^ lol .. both
Thanks for adding morris dancing .. forgot all about that ... and I've seen that here in Australia too.

Since they copy cars, why not a tv show? Herro Top Grear!

i'm so sorry for such a stupid show , cause i'm a chinese and a member of a trans group to make subtitle for top gear . all about the so called TOP GEAR CHINA is absolutely hopeless and pointless

Top Gear China?

hmmugtg31.jpg

Technically a mug... and unfunny, but you get the point.