• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Top Gear coming to BBC canada [UK FULL HOUR UNCUT!]

paf

Hey folks, long time lurker/downloader

According to the BBC canada website

lifeandstyle_show_2.gif

The must-see show for the car enthusiast in everyone! Top Gear tells you all you need to know - the honest truth - about motoring, from basic road safety and car maintenance, to features.

It doesnt specify what version it will be, but I have emailed them asking if its the real version, the bbcworld version or the mediocre Discovery USA version.

If its the real version I will subscribe to the channel on my cable package

EDIT: ITS THE FULL HOUR LONG UNCUT UK VERSION!

I bet it'll be the real version.

Jokes about Americans: 999999billion

Jokes about Canadian's: 1 or 2?

October 15th is one day after my birthday too! This is going to be great.

COMMONWEALTH RESPECT

I hope so too!
I might call them on monday to ask if i dont get a reply

matt shaw.. wow that name is familiar..
you from NB by any chance, rothesay to be more specific?

a) thats absolutely brilliant!

b) damnnit im gonna be in new zealand

paf said:
I hope so too!
I might call them on monday to ask if i dont get a reply

Nope.

I live over in British Columbia

paf said:
Just putting in my two cents here, but I grew up in Moncton. That's probably as close as you'll get to a Rothesay member here. :p

I just found some info that may shed some light on whether it'll be straight from the BBC2's mouth, or the edited American version:

Top Gear
New Lifestyle
(Network Premiere) Sat. and Sun. at 7pm ET beginning Oct. 15
Top Gear is the UK?s premier motoring show. The Top Gear team, led by Jeremy Clarkson, is not afraid to tell the truth about the cars they review - both good and bad. Introducing new cars o?n our roads, new motoring technology and the very latest in concept cars, Top Gear delivers information, entertainment and style. Features include celebrity races o?n the Top Gear circuit pitching internationally famous stars against each other. Can Star Trek?s Patrick Stewart beat supermodel Jodie Kidd?

This is the link for the article: http://www.channelcanada.com/Article927.html

The last bit of that article indicates that it is the full version, but since the link is not straight from BBC Canada, I still don't know. I should write to them too. More people writing may help us get an answer faster.

They're also getting The Catherine Tate Show, which I really like, too. :)

Ripplin said:
paf said:
Just putting in my two cents here, but I grew up in Moncton. That's probably as close as you'll get to a Rothesay member here. :p

Is this the New Brunswick thread?!?!?....am I late?! :lol:

Hopefully they won't be showing last years shows.

Seems to be becoming the unofficial NB thread. :p Are you from there too, choose?

Anyway, I just wrote to BBC Canada as well. The auto-response I got seems to indicate there's a large chance it'll go unanswered, but we'll see.

Ripplin said:
Seems to be becoming the unofficial NB thread. :p Are you from there too, choose?

Anyway, I just wrote to BBC Canada as well. The auto-response I got seems to indicate there's a large chance it'll go unanswered, but we'll see.

Indeed, I'm in the moncton area! I beleive that I know Paf......small world I guess. :thumbsup:

choose.. u a atlantic subaruclub member/forum frequenter?

yeha I was born in moncton, went to school for a year in rothesay, but im in freddy
Indeed a very small world!

paf said:
choose.. u a atlantic subaruclub member/forum frequenter?

yeha I was born in moncton, went to school for a year in rothesay, but im in freddy
Indeed a very small world!

Yep....I'm a Mod!! :? :D

any fishing related jokes do not apply to me as ZI live 150k from the nearest coast. :lol:

well They havent replyed me via email and I have tried to call them and I ALWAYS get the "due to the nature of our high call volumes we cannot answer your call personally message, please leave a messaghe and we will reply if possible within 5 business days"

arrgh

hey BBC website guy, do you have any contacts or way of knowing? :? :roll:

"Herring choker" is a just nickname for someone who is from NB. Actually, it goes beyond that. I found this at the FAQ section of a site called herringchoker.com:

Q: What the heck is a herring choker?

A: Herringchoker is an affectionate(?) nickname sometimes given to residents of some of the NorthEastern United States (especially Maine) and the Canadian maritime provinces (especially New Brunswick).

Q: Why did Maritimers get called herringchokers?

A: The most common explanation is that the women who worked in the fish-packing plants used to remove the heads of small herring (sardines) by pinching them off between thumb and forefinger.

My mother would sometimes refer to us as herring chokers, but she probably didn't even know why. It was just an old slang term that probably few knew where it came from.

I have never heard of that phrase before. Guess you learn something new every day. :lol:

"Masshole", though...

I had e-mailed the BBC too, although I have done that much earlier than you chaps had done, about last year, no sooner than february 2005, saying how popular Top Gear is among the international community and how they should show it on BBC Canada, and they said that they were actually planning to show it in october, but the cut down 30-min version.

They might have changed their minds, but I'm not so sure.

From the BBC Canada website faq:

"When does Top Gear air? And will it be the entire, unedited program?
Top Gear airs on Sat. and Sun. at 7 p.m. ET beginning Oct. 15. And yes, it will be the hour-long program with no edits. For more information, please visit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/ "

Cool that they seem to know we don't like the BBC World version :)