Top Gear Consumer Panel

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
It seems that all my life's dreams came true! I was accepted to the Top Gear Consumer Panel!

What the hell is that, you might ask?
Well, I dunno either....

rtpFHSk.png

I am over the moon!!

Yeah what the heck is this?

Scam?

Googled "Toluna" and they seem to be a legit market research and polling whatever company... Just don't remember ever signing up for anything like this.

Also www.topgearconsumerpanel.com looks at the very least, shady...

Well if it is real and you're the only member of FG that is a taking part then you are the voice of the forum and must tell them what they need to know. No pressure. :p

This is good, we stand a better chance of being represented. :D

A bit less pressure on all of you then to say the right things. :p

It seems that all my life's dreams came true! I was accepted to the Top Gear Consumer Panel!

I am over the moon!!

Yeah what the heck is this?

Welcome to the club, but I will attempt to bring you back from your extra lunar trajectory ..... actually, I think I can see you this evening, you have a slightly orange hue ... Oh no, that's Mars.

It has nothing to do with the TV program, it is just a consumer survey where they float lame ideas for Top Gear Branded crap that they can sell to children. I've done about 5 or 6 surveys. They are all very similar. What electronic devices do you use? How frequently do you use them? Would you buy some crappy iPad game with half-arsed graphics of The Stig driving a Koernigseeeeg through a supermarket car park? Which of these shitty Lego Sets appeals most to you? That sort of thing. I actually just did a survey this morning .... they were testing the waters for a "mobile device driving game" .... graphics looked cheap and nasty.

I have done all the surveys they have sent me and answered them in the same way ... with the words of Jeremy Clarkson (series 12 episode 7) ringing strongly in my ears ..... "Grandparents, if you've got grandchildren who like cars, what they like is cars, they don't like towels with car names written on them". Top Gear has become far worse than any of the car companies (they have ridiculed) when it comes to marketing rubbish branded by them. Honestly, I would much rather pay $1000 for a bottle of Bugatti branded eau de toilet than $5 for some shitty Top Gear app that occupies memory on my iPad. They are just doing market research for sub standard products ... discourage them at every opportunity .... or, do whatever you like ... don't feel pressured by a cynic like me.

Now, back to the telescope .... Mars is still at a very close approach and the skies here are clear tonight.

^^^^^Fully agree. I have been a member since the first survey. I just hit delete on the last one I got. All this time answering the same crap questions and I have seen no results from it.

They seem to be really honing in on a game of some sort. I would not buy a game no matter what it did.

I would buy something small and stupid to put in my display cabinet because I mostly have things in there that make me smile when I look at them but that does not seem to be a focus of the surveys.

There is also the Insiders panel (formerly BBC Insiders but now run externally to the organisation) which is linked to the development of both the Magazine and TV series. Many of the questionnaires are to do with the effectiveness of the advertising within the magazine and also things like layout and content but there occasional ones that ask for opinions on the actual series (as the last one did in June) Worryingly the first question was 'How important is the present presenter lineup to Top Gear' (or words to that effect). In the past there has been a section at the end for 'any other comments or suggestions' but the last one didn't, sadly. I recall suggesting in one that TG was wasting Richard and James' passion and interest in motorcycles. (fat lot of good that will do!)

For those who receive these surveys the one I just received today is actually about the TV program itself. There is stuff about marketing opportunities they are considering at the very end, but most of it is about what you think of the TV program itself.

Yep, I got it as well. I filled it out for the hell of it.

Did it as well. Fully knowing nobody will read it, still left them a couple of lines.

Did it as well. Fully knowing nobody will read it, still left them a couple of lines.
I wrote a couple essays in the comments boxes! No point coming on here and whining about how crappy I think the show has become, if I don't take the opportunity to tell them when they ask. :drums:

^ my feelings too. It is the first time (to my knowledge) that those surveys have asked about the TV program itself and I was appreciative of, at least, being able to vent my thoughts directly to them.

I've been participating in these surveys and, in my opinion, they do provide an opportunity to either contribute input or vent frustrations. Frankly, I've done both and I'm happy to take a few minutes to do it. I don't know how seriously they take the feedback from online surveys but corporations like the BBC are not dumb. I take part in focus groups where you personally visit market research firms and you are paid for your time. They do studies on anything from auto insurance to large restaurant chains and they take it very seriously. The last one I attended was two weeks ago. There were 9 participants and each was paid $125 so based on the investment alone, it?s obvious that they want direct, sincere answers from consumers.