Top Gear Consumer Panel

So, for those on the Consumer Panel, have you been doing the weekly surveys about each episode? It would be interesting to see if anything actually comes of all of the opinions they're soliciting per episode.

I actually have been participating in the surveys. I have no idea what, if anything, will come of them but I know one thing. They have been very active in soliciting opinions as of late. The sense I get is as though they knew the had the biggest hit in the world before and weren't that interested in feedback. That attitude is somehow different now and it's not because their ratings have dropped. If I were a betting man, I would say that all of the controversies they've encountered may have made them more cautious and they are keeping a close watch on audience reactions. I may be completely wrong, but that's what it feels like to me. What are your thoughts?

It certainly does seem like they want specific opinions. They're not even waiting to ask "What did you think of the series", they're asking opinions on an episode by episode basis. Just realized something, was the question about 'how did you view this episode' missing from the third episode survey?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by specific opinions. It seems to me that if they ask detailed questions about each episode, they are after more specifics than if they asked about the series as a whole. I personally use the first and last boxes where they ask for your overall impressions and anything you'd like to add to express my opinion. And I think you're right about the missing question; I don't recall seeing it either.

Heh, I just meant episode specific opinions. Rather than waiting till the end and asking for an opinion on Series 22 as a whole (which they still might do), they're saying "What did you think of episode 1?" "2?" "3?", etc. Definitely better this way, we don't have to try and remember what the early eps were like by the time we've gotten to the end of the series, and they'll be able to see which aspects of each episode worked better than others.

Maybe this is why they added so many new people to the Consumer Panel when they did, to have a larger group in place prior to the new series starting.

Yeah, I agree with you. They're being much more proactive about soliciting feedback. Best case scenario; they incorporate suggested changes and improve the show. Worst case; we spend a few minutes a week punching on a keyboard and nothing happens. I'm good with that. Thanks for your input!

Yeah, I'm assuming they'll at least read everyone's responses, so that's better than not being able to express our thoughts to them at all.

Yeah, I agree with you. They're being much more proactive about soliciting feedback. Best case scenario; they incorporate suggested changes and improve the show. Worst case; we spend a few minutes a week punching on a keyboard and nothing happens. I'm good with that. Thanks for your input!

Ah, but whose suggested changes? What you think would improve the show might ruin it for me and vice versa. I'd be interested to know what the rationale is behind this exercise.

I cant seem to do this weeks one. It says that it's temporarily unavailable.

Did they pull it because of the Clarkson thing?

I cant seem to do this weeks one. It says that it's temporarily unavailable.

Did they pull it because of the Clarkson thing?

Oh, they might have. I submitted mine before the whole debacle so I can't say for sure. Sorry you're having problems with it though.

New survey out...anyone else participate? Not a lot of questions this time, they ask what you've heard about Top Gear in the news lately, what you think of the reports and what you think about the show.

I did it. I was happy with the questions. First time for that really.

I did it. I was happy with the questions. First time for that really.

Same for me - an opportunity to share a few thoughts and observations over the BBC's handling of things. For decades they ignore the true evil that was Jimmy Savile, yet they happily haul JC in for a chat over a non-PC word here and there. They can't ensure a hot meal after a cold day in Yorkshire mud for their top earners, and then they fail to promote the final show, making no mention of the 'elephant' that made them so much money from the show and its spin-offs. I can't say I wish them much luck with their gender/ginger/race corrected, sanitised and politically correct TGUK - they don't deserve it :mad:

New survey out...anyone else participate? Not a lot of questions this time, they ask what you've heard about Top Gear in the news lately, what you think of the reports and what you think about the show.

I got mine yesterday. Did it. It was just..."so, what have you heard about Top Gear in the news lately? And what do you think of this?" kind of stuff.

Found this ironic and very funny:

image.png

:p

I got a chuckle out of the fact that it came from the "Doctor Who Consumer Panel". When I got the email, I wondered when I had signed up for that one.