Top Gear DVD covers

i do wish i could have got a better quality image for the front covers, but the ones on the back are ok! the barcode and information bar is being worked on and i am currently creating my own to make it a whole less pixelated.

your covers arent so bad, clean, simple and too the point. and some people like that in dvd covers.

Here are my two DVD covers, for Series 1 and Series 7!

TopGearDVDCover7C.jpg

TopGearDVDCover1C.jpg

let me know what you think!

Does Jason look like a knob!! Thank god he's gone.

I like how clean NecroJoe's are. It cool the way the color (or should i say colour) of the car matches the cover. I wanted to use scenes from the episodes so I patiently went through the episodes to get screen shots of the scenes I liked and best fit the episodes. I think most of them work but I'm clearly not a professional. Thundercat, take some screenshots of the episodes for your covers. I found that the resolution of the episodes was large enough to stick on without getting too much pixelation.

-Mike

I like how clean NecroJoe's are. It cool the way the color (or should i say colour) of the car matches the cover. I wanted to use scenes from the episodes so I patiently went through the episodes to get screen shots of the scenes I liked and best fit the episodes. I think most of them work but I'm clearly not a professional. Thundercat, take some screenshots of the episodes for your covers. I found that the resolution of the episodes was large enough to stick on without getting too much pixelation.

-Mike

cheers fella, i will give it a go! if i screencap it full screen, making it a bit smaller will only serve to make the image a bit crisper and a few edits in fireworks or photoshop and it should look better me thinks! i think now i have free time over the easter hols i will give a few more seasons a go. will post as they become available.

Ok so here's me bringing up the back of the class. Compared to what I'm seeing here my efforts are "lacking" but I'm certainly inspired now! Plus seeing new ideas helps me get out of the whole "layering" rut I'm stuck in now. So far I'm just doing covers and trays but practice is making me better.
My favourite is my James May/Veyron top speed version.

Ok so here's me bringing up the back of the class. Compared to what I'm seeing here my efforts are "lacking" but I'm certainly inspired now! Plus seeing new ideas helps me get out of the whole "layering" rut I'm stuck in now. So far I'm just doing covers and trays but practice is making me better.
My favourite is my James May/Veyron top speed version.

One thing that would be cool one some of the layering ones...when an image is say, laid over the orange lotus: instead of having the top square translucent over half of the car, erase it over the sar" so the car appears on top of everything, but it's own background is under the top image.

I know it seems like babbling probably, but I'm rendering some video, otherwise I'd throw together a 'shop sample...

One thing that would be cool one some of the layering ones...when an image is say, laid over the orange lotus: instead of having the top square translucent over half of the car, erase it over the sar" so the car appears on top of everything, but it's own background is under the top image.

I know it seems like babbling probably, but I'm rendering some video, otherwise I'd throw together a 'shop sample...

I think I see what you mean.
Plus it looks there's enough contrast between the car and the background to make selecting the car nice and easy with the magic wand. Thanks for the tip.

i have to agree, i think the quality of the cover would increase more if the sharp edges from the caps were erased and make it more "swish"! but its another different approach to making a top gear cover, all very interesting!

Here are my two DVD covers, for Series 1 and Series 7!

TopGearDVDCover7C.jpg

TopGearDVDCover1C.jpg

let me know what you think!

I was abloe to fit an episode summary to the back of Series 7 but there are two many episodes to do the same for series 1, so bits are just summarised! Also the spines when put together for the first 7 series will have the top gear logo showing! The front cover is pretty much going to stay the same all the way through while the back covers have different pictures from the series and the particular highlights of that series! Oh an obviously with out my simple signature on it!

It looks really cluttered. Maybe you should use less images and reduce the amount of text at the back.

well... I tried to do the covers with cars from that particular season. But could not find the right images.

So I thought of giving it a abstract feel.... with only the series label indicating the series info.

I think it works better if you use images of cars from the Season. But other than that your Covers are very good.

To put episodes on DVD, I use ConvertxtoDVD and can put about 3 episodes per disc (sometimes 4). I use Top Gear's wallpaper for the background pic and it works out really well.

I don't have any casings though. I just use sleeve binder.

He wasn't too bad, why'd they get rid of him anyway?

Cos he was useless. Can you imagine the show being where it is today if James hadnt replaced him??

I didn't mind Jason Dawe, but he didn't entirely work on Top Gear. He's good on things he does now though over on ITV4, such as Used Car Roadshow.

DVD covers are looking good though, guys.

Here are some covers if anyone wants 'em.

Right now, I made them in Photoshop, so obviously they are stored on my computer in .psd format. What's the best way to format them so that:
a) They will print reasonably properly on someone else's computers/printers
b) they can't be altered.

I'm assuming .pdf is the way to go. I'd offer a flattened .psd, but not everyone has Photoshop... With .jpg, it might be hard for people who aren't print-savvy to print them sized properly.

(note: some of them have a colored border running around the cover: this is meant to be trimmed off. When I had covers where it faded to white at the bottom edge, it was tricky to cut it even, so they have that extra border as a cut-line. Cut it off.)

I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but some of the cars were chosen simply because of the available images. Like...how could I not have the 8C on there? Well, I couldn't find a straight-on front AND back image that was good enough. If one was on an angle, I wanted both to be on an angle. The Gumpert was probably the worst one, because there are really no studio shots, all of the real-life shots are at different angles, and the lighting is always way too bright when they are outdoors. The Corvette was was a similar challenge

If you think the accent color chosen is wrong, well, it was taken from the actual car image using the eyedropper tool, so that color came from SOMEWHERE on the car, even though it may not look like it matches exactly.

Also, as a reminder: I just made these for myself and...I suck at photoshop. I'm just sharing them out of the goodness of my heart. I'm not going to make you custom ones, or change anything unless I think it's a suggestion worth changing for my own copies. (For instance, the suggestion that maybe the correct spelling was "speed" and not "speek." That one was worth re-doing. :lol:

Seasons 5-11: (still working on the rest)
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=44663936123108b7d2db6fb9a8902bda
(I've never used mediafire before, so I have no idea how long this .rar of .PDFs will last)
TopGearSeason5Episodes1-4.jpg
TopGearSeason5Episodes5-8.jpg
TopGearSeason5Episodes9.jpg
TopGearSeason6Episodes1-4.jpg
TopGearSeason6Episodes5-8.jpg
TopGearSeason6Episodes9-11.jpg
TopGearSeason7Episodes1-4.jpg
TopGearSeason7Episodes5-7.jpg
TopGearSeason8Episodes1-4.jpg
TopGearSeason8Episodes5-8.jpg
TopGearSeason9Episodes1-4.jpg
TopGearSeason9Episodes5-7.jpg
TopGearSeason10Episodes1-4.jpg
TopGearSeason10Episodes5-8.jpg
TopGearSeason10Episodes9-10.jpg
TopGearSeason11Episodes1-4.jpg
TopGearSeason11Episodes5-6.jpg

Last edited:
i made the following:

topgear1copy.jpg

Last edited:
NecroJoe: Yours are brilliant! I'll have to re-burn all af my discs now to fit the format though ;)

I see 6 people have downloaded the .rar. What do you think? Would posting them in another format help? Do most people have photoshop and could handle .psd files?

I'm not going to alter the images, but I'm willing to re-format the files to make it easy for anyone to print them if they want them. I just finished season 4, and I can do a different format if needed.
TopGearSeason4Episodes1-4.jpg

TopGearSeason4Episodes5-8.jpg

TopGearSeason4Episodes9-10.jpg

I will fully agree that S4 E9-10 is an awful cover with an awful car. It was the only one of those two episodes that I could find front-and-back shots of.

All 3 discs of Season 4 also ended up being gray cars...odd...

I really like NecroJoe's covers. Simple, good-looking, and informative.

If I'm feeling productive later, I may go a step further and try my hand at a design inspired by his, but putting all descriptions on the back, so the front is even more simplified.

NecroJoe, do you just use google for your studio shots, or is there a specific source you use?

Thundercat, I do like your idea of having the spines form a pattern on the shelf.