Top Gear: "I am no prude..."

James May's Hair

Saw this on the BBC's Television message board and thought I would share it with you. I thought it was a bit of trolling at first, but as I read it, I realised that the poster is serious.

Posted by the lentil-bothering 'evacradio'
I enjoy this programme and I am no prude. Just like my nine year old son there must be many children who enjoy watching as well. But over the past couple of series, the use of rude language before 9.00pm as an attempt at humour is inexcusable. Last night before 8.30 we had scrotum,nipple,period,toss,balls and cocks. Blatant and immature. Yes we can have clever,sensible humour but can the presenters cut the toilet version. It is a shame that the content of the show is being overshadowed by the presenters attempts at shock, lads humour. We do not get the same filthy language on Fifth Gear.Clever use of double entendres might be acceptable, subtly used and over the kids heads. At present the use of expletives increases show by show and its not on. Either scrap the filth or put the show on after the watershed.

Aren't you glad you woke up this morning as you and not that pelican?

All of those words are perfectly innocent, by their original meaning, anyway. They're just parts of the human anatomy, punctuation, references to playing catch and a farm animal. It's only when you know what they meant by those words that they actually become slightly "blatant and immature" and TG's not explaining them to kids.

Sorry JMH, but on this occasion I am inclined to agree with the lentil murderer. My 7 year old daughter and 4 year old son are avid watchers of Top Gear when it is repeated during daytime hours on Dave, but although I have the new series on Sky+ I have had to make excuses as to why they can't watch the new series, or at least fast wind through the bits I know to be unsuitable. I am not a prude, but I am a responsible parent and at the ages they are I deem my kids to be a little too young to be hearing this kind of language from people they recognise on TV.

I know that any so-called serious expletives are bleeped, and my eldest at least understands that concept, but they are getting a bit beyond the limit this series. I do, however, believe it to be a parental responsibility to vet ones offspring's viewing - I have my views about what is suitable for my children at what age, and evidently so does this evacradio character.

Views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflects the views of the company. Values can go up as well as down. Your home is at risk if you do not keep up your mortgae payments. Always read the label - if in doubt consult your doctor or pharmacst. And other cliches.......

Reactions: TC
things is, that's their style, that's what makes them funny, that's why people love them ... need i say more ?

people should know what Top gear is, and they should stop trying to change thier F-ing style, they are responsible (parents) to what their children watch not top gear, i know everybody wants to blame someone else for their mistake, human nature, still though

Last edited:
Well it is true that it has gone from James using "cock" only when he lost a race, to being a standard word on the show. "Permission to say 'cock' on BBC2!"

things is, that's their style, that's what makes them funny, that's why people love them ... need i say more ?

people should know what Top gear is, and they should stop trying to change thier F-ing style, they are responsible (parents) to what their children watch not top gear, i know everybody wants to blame someone else for their mistake, human nature, still though

I agree that the responsibility lies with the parent, but as a parent could do without the awkward questions from a 7 and a 4 year old as to why they can no longer watch TG. I'm not going to get on a soapbox about it, but I do consider it a shame given the combined intelligence of the three presenters and the backroom staff that they have to overstep the line for the sake of some cheap laughs.

Come on boys, you're better than that.

people should know what Top gear is, and they should stop trying to change thier F-ing style,

TopGear didn't use to be this way. It seems they can't come up with any good humor nowadays, so they resort to cheap jokes. Doesn't really bother me much, but I do find it annoying when they go out of their way to setup for jokes, which come off as incredibly forced. Like the stupid joke about the XKRS bluetooth navsat having PMS or something. The boys are becoming pretty good actors as the series rolls on.

Reactions: MWF
Poor guy, I mean it's so awful that they use that sort of language on a show he's being forced to watch.

Oh wait, he's not being forced - change the f#$king channel dipshit.

I like scrotum,nipple,period,toss,balls and cocks >:{

How naive are all these parents who think that their children don't hear (and use) language far worse than this in the school playground every day?!? :blink:

How naive are all these parents who think that their children don't hear (and use) language far worse than this in the school playground every day?!? :blink:

Agreed, I learned pretty much every single swear word I use today by the 2nd grade.

I hope they aren't forced to change, I'll wait a hour before it pops on ScT to keep it the same. IMO the show is for people who are old enough to drive, therefore are old enough to hear the word "cock" just because some kids like it doesn't make it a kids show. We use to have a show here called Crank Yankers, it was puppets prank calling people, I am sure if a little kid saw it he would like it because of the puppets but the subject is not for kids and shouldn't be seen by kids. The TV is not a babysitter, if you don't want kids watching Top Gear... don't let them.

Also, I agree with the posts above. I got suspended in 2nd grade for saying "fuck yeah" in class. And that wasn't from video games, Evil TV, or any other scapegoat.

Last edited:
Sorry JMH, but on this occasion I am inclined to agree with the lentil murderer. My 7 year old daughter and 4 year old son are avid watchers of Top Gear when it is repeated during daytime hours on Dave, but although I have the new series on Sky+ I have had to make excuses as to why they can't watch the new series, or at least fast wind through the bits I know to be unsuitable. I am not a prude, but I am a responsible parent and at the ages they are I deem my kids to be a little too young to be hearing this kind of language from people they recognise on TV.

I know that any so-called serious expletives are bleeped, and my eldest at least understands that concept, but they are getting a bit beyond the limit this series. I do, however, believe it to be a parental responsibility to vet ones offspring's viewing - I have my views about what is suitable for my children at what age, and evidently so does this evacradio character.

Views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflects the views of the company. Values can go up as well as down. Your home is at risk if you do not keep up your mortgae payments. Always read the label - if in doubt consult your doctor or pharmacst. And other cliches.......

scrotum,nipple,period,toss,balls and cocks

I am not telling you how to raise your children. However I want to point out you are missing out on a perfect oportunity to defuse "those words" because unless you are raising your children in a closet, they will be hearing those words.

I used to be a lot like that. Protect my child at all cost, but then two things happened in one week that made me change how I thought.

My 7 yr old nephew shot himself in my broher in laws truck. And my dog got ran over.

Now you are probably wondering how they are connected and why that would change my protective ways.

Well, as I have said, I live in Rural America and come from even more rural. I say y'all and everything. We eat crawfish and dance to the fiddle. I am not embarrashed or ashamed of it. I have traveled the world and I have never found another place I would want to live. (Except maybe Roatan Honduras)

I was raised with guns. (you eat what you kill) In fact I am the only person in my entire fmly to have never owned a gun or even held one, but I was raised with them every where. I can't think of a house that did not have at least one gun behind the front door. There were guns in every vehicle. I also have 33 cousins. Not one of us ever touched those guns, but we were taught from a very early age to NEVER touch one without adult supervision. My nephew had never learned those lessons because all guns were kept what they thouht out of his reach. Except for the one in the glove box that day.

I have seen "town dogs" all my life. See the same ones over and over crossing the main road. Never see one ran over. My dog dug out from under the fence and was killed before I knew he was out. Why? Because he had never learned road survival skills, so from that day on, my parenting changed.

Those words you object to are only "dirty" if you think they are. IMHO you are missing out on the oportunity to turn those words into harmless words.

Scrotum - Part of a mans genitalia 50% of the population have it

nipple - 100% of population has those

period - you have a 7 yr old daughter, you better start expalining. For the son, once a month in a womans life where she can be diff to live with.

balls - as in "balls of steel" means has a lot of nerve

toss - don't know

cock - rooster, walks proudly whether deseerved or not. someone who thinks they are boss of the yard.

Then you explain in your family, you do not consider those appropriate words to use. And while others may, in your family, you don't.

You do what you want. Just trying to show you the other side of the coin because I can promise you, there will be other 4 and 7 yr olds in the playground or school that has watched every episode of top gear. And worse. It is wise to have had your say before they have theirs.

period - you have a 7 yr old daughter, you better start expalining. For the son, once a month in a womans life where she can be diff to live with.

I was going to say that. FFS, What's offending in saying period? It's like saying that the fact I've set my Antivirus to scan the computer once every month is offending. It just happens :?

Also, toss means masturbate ;)

they forgot to mention that Hammond said "you're going to look like such a knob if the Subaru is faster"

scrotum,nipple,period,toss,balls and cocks

You do what you want. Just trying to show you the other side of the coin because I can promise you, there will be other 4 and 7 yr olds in the playground or school that has watched every episode of top gear. And worse. It is wise to have had your say before they have theirs.

^Completley agreed. And a nipple, period, scrotum, balls and cocks are all relatively their own names, not some crude metaphor. Just let it go.