Top Gear involved in production speed record (Veyron Super Sport)

Z4MCoupe

Car(s)
2006 Schwartz E86 BMW Z4M Coupe
Quote from the site:

Now, we wouldn't want to give anything away, but you know how TopGear has always been pretty intimately involved with high-speed runs in the Veyron? Remember, for example, James's blast to 253mph in Series 9?

Well, let's just say... it would have been a bit strange for us not to have been part of this astonishing record run in some capacity. We're not saying any more, but keep a close eye on all things TopGear in the coming weeks...

What do you think it is?

PS. Can someone find any information on who was in the Veyron when they broke the record? :blink:

Last edited:
Got me. I just saw a posting of it on facebook. Seems to make a crapload of power now though!

Edit: The link above has a picture of someone in a full faced helmet on picture 13.

Last edited:
May be barking up the wrong tree here, but when James was interviewed by Richard Bacon on R5 Live last week, he had just returned from filming in Germany. He had watched the England/Germany game in Hanover.

Hannover is about 103 km from Ehra-Lessien, though...

4767821457_b8152b426b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Could be.

Considering you'd have to brake two times for the intersections, and consequently pull over twice to re-insert the high-speed key, it's more like an hour :lol:

Even longer, when you consider that the road from Ehra-Lessien to Wolfsburg isn't Autobahn but the highway B248 :p I've driven on that road very often -- good overtaking possibilites but many villages to slow you down.

Last edited:
Yeah, damn villages... probably better to stick it in handling mode and make do with 375kph :lol:

I've just about had it with the Veyron featured on Top Gear. They never tested the Saleen S7, the SSC Ultimate Aero and other high-speed beasts.

I'm sure they would test them if their manufacturers gave them the keys, or if an owner pulled a Nick Mason.

I've just about had it with the Veyron featured on Top Gear. They never tested the Saleen S7, the SSC Ultimate Aero and other high-speed beasts.

Because they aren't available in the UK and so are irrelevant to the people that pay for the BBC's programs. Nor are they unique or quirky enough to be of purely academic interest (such as those Rinspeed cars).
If they were going to cover the S7 and SSC they'd have to cover every redneck's barn built kit-car in the world.

Because they aren't available in the UK and so are irrelevant to the people that pay for the BBC's programs. Nor are they unique or quirky enough to be of purely academic interest (such as those Rinspeed cars).
If they were going to cover the S7 and SSC they'd have to cover every redneck's barn built kit-car in the world.

The S7 is available in RHD (in fact, RHD versions are assembled in the UK and sold there) and it just won its class in LeMans this year. It is absolutely not a barn-built kit car and therefore has a better pedigree than the bloated Audi TT with a Bugatti badge tacked on the front.

So, where's the S7 test, Top Gear? And GraemeH, I'll thank you to retract that blather now, considering just how many cars that Top Gear's reviewed that either 1) are made by two men in a shed, 2) aren't sold in the UK or 3) all the above.

Last edited:

Well, I'd prefer it to watching the Veyron season after season.

pulled a nick mason? please explain, that sounds...interesting

Top gear borrowed the Enzo from Nick Mason, the drummer of Pink Floyd, in exchange for plugging his book, episode 05x02 I think

Last edited:
Yep. 5x02.