Top Gear Lingo Americanized

phuckingduck

is awesome!
Car(s)
'03 Volvo S60 AWD
Yeah Jeffy, I said that once to my g/f and she just kind of stared at me. Although, it could've been that I was talking about 0-60 times on a car....

InfernalVortex

Car(s)
1992 Camaro, 1996 Honda CR125
One good example of a word the British use that we in the U.S. seldom use is "nought".

You never hear an American say "nought to 60"....unless he/she watches Top Gear :)

Or Zed to 60. It always threw me off. Especially when he made a comment about the "IROC Zed" once... took me a second. :lol:

Neodov

Car(s)
94' SAAB Convertible
I always smile at the fact that you guys over the pond call the back of a car the truck and we call it a boot! It's odd how we all label things different.

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
tickover (british) = idle (american)

Or Zed to 60. It always threw me off. Especially when he made a comment about the "IROC Zed" once... took me a second. :lol:

Zed = Z, not Zero

timbuktu

I always smile at the fact that you guys over the pond call the back of a car the truck and we call it a boot! It's odd how we all label things different.

I'll assume you meant "trunk" not "truck." Also, there's
UK |US
bonnet |hood
hood |soft-top

Neodov

Car(s)
94' SAAB Convertible

Opps!! Yes, I mean trunk not truck!

Just me having a Piccadilly moment :D

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine

:lol: +rep from me, that was awesome.

On topic: I was watching the tractor episode where they were discussing a typical plowman's lunch, and James mentioned that (either stilton or cheddar cheese) was poncy? I take it that Poncy (spelling?) is like "crude" or "low-level"? I bet its totally the opposite.

Last edited:

upyourego

Car(s)
Learning to drive
Yeah Poncy is more or less the opposite. IT's basically something thats over styled, over the top and a bit posh.

For example - a French restaurant with a leather bound menu thats all in french with a wine waiter could be described as poncy - whereas a kebab shop would be crude or low level.

Reactions: LP

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
Thanks for the definition man :). Yeah I guess it could have been a derivative of fancy or something? Poncy... fancy.... I dunno :p

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
Thanks for the definition man :). Yeah I guess it could have been a derivative of fancy or something? Poncy... fancy.... I dunno :p

Many americans would use the word 'faggoty' in the same context as 'poncy'.

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
Name - British - American
Hyundai - Hay-un-die - Hundai

As an aside, anything Italian, French or Spanish is brutalized on either side of the Atlantic.

Don't forget the German language!

No English or American is spelling "Volkswagen" right ;)

timbuktu

Don't forget the German language!

No English or American is spelling "Volkswagen" right ;)

Sure we are, we spell it

"V O L K S W A G E N"

Americans and Brits can spell Hyundai correct, i.e. the Anglicanized form of the hangul word ??. Its rather the inability to pronounce the names thats good for a laugh. Spelling is easy...pronouncing Murci?lago is hard. Or Reventon...or badge... =D

Back on topic, have we covered "pensioner" yet? Or "rep-mobile"?

pensioner = retiree
rep-mobile = off lease fleet vehicle

I think "fleet" and I think "Ford Taurus." Apparently Clarkson thinks "repmobile" and he thinks of a 3-series diesel. My, how things are different.