Top Gear Lingo Americanized

^ For slang, I find urbandictionary is best, entries are closer to what real people use. :)

I know but I just wanted to confirm that it wasn't an actual word, but slang. ^_^

Last edited:
When have they used this? Are you sure it's not a different word?

I never understood what exactly they're trying to express when they use the word, "Strueth." I just know they look like an ass when they use that word.

^Thanks for the definition.
Aw crap my bad. Berk is supposedly in the dictionary @ dictionary.com.

I take it this was just a slang addition to the dictionary though right? It's not like a term that's derived from like Latin: Berkus Berkeleyus Delicious?

It is slang but is also in the Oxford English Dictionary and can be dated back to the 1930s and it's slang for one of the most taboo words.

This from the OED:
"Abbrev. of Berkeley (or Berkshire) Hunt, rhyming slang for ****"

(so taboo that FinalGear sensors the word in fact - so in case you didn't guess um... C U Next Tuesday!)

But it doesn't actually mean that - it actually means 'a fool' or an 'idiot'.

Reactions: LP
In america its marketed as the greek version of the sandwich, called 'gyro' or pronounced 'yee-ro', altho some americans pronounce it 'jy-roh' like a gyroscope.
Judging by my Greek friends guidance, it's pronounced "yee-ros". Note that the "s" on the end is not making it plural, it's part of the word. The correct spelling is apparently "gyros" not "gyro".

Examples of some American slang/words for our Limey friends:
Limey- British people, usually slightly derogatory
Pissed- angry, does not mean drunk
Hammered- means really drunk
Fanny- ass
Ass- arse
Pavement- what roads are made out of
Sidewalk- what you call pavement
Hood- you call in a bonnet
Trunk- you call it a boot
Galoshes- you call them Wellies
Cookie- you call it a biscuit
Parking lot- you call it a car park
Bus- in the US a bus is a bus is a bus, we don't differentiate between coaches and buses
Acetaminophen- you call paracetamol
Aluminum- you call it aluminium
Pie- always means fruit/dessert pie in the US
Shrimp- you call it a prawn
Check a box- you'd say tick a box
Pants- you'd call the trousers
Yank- in the US, this means someone from the northeast (mainly New England and Boston). It's mainly used by people in the south and is archaic at this point. To you it means any American.
Overpass- you'd call it a flyover
Gotten- past tense of "to get" and is grammatically correct and sounds non-ignorant in the US
On vacation- means the same as on holiday
Band-Aid- what you'd call a plaster
Stroller= pushchair
..there are lots more, take a look at wiki.

Last edited:
So you're saying you have complete control over your penis, and never been "excited" at an inopportune moment?

When I was 12-14 I would get hard ons during the day for no reason, but when I was in 7th grade I decided to tell everyone in the class "my dicks hard" and everyone laughed. I love my penis and everything it does unfortunately it doesn't get hard randomly like it used to know I have to think and then show people. After exercising I exercise my penis and hope to one day be able have complete control until then i just say encouragements things to my penis and reward it with pussy.

dont you lot pronounce Nissan as Neeee-ssaaan?

where as i would say it

Nissss - an

dont you lot pronounce Nissan as Neeee-ssaaan?

where as i would say it

Nissss - an

Americans generally do, but from the 10X10, so does hammond.

Toyota's Hi-Lux and Tacoma are the same trucks. The Toyota Tundra is another truck entirely

Tractor Trailer Truck/18 Wheeler/Big Rig = Lorry (possibly spelled wrong)

AKA "Artic" which is a shortened form of Articulated Lorry.

i call em HGV's

heavy goods vehicles

dunnow why

whislt on the subject (pardon my spelling but im driunk and drunk riules are in place i.e. not going back to corrent any mistakes)

what the fuk does HIAB meam? i seen it on the back of a 7 tonner togday.

alos

MITSUBOOOOOOOOOOOSHI

hahahahahahahhahaha redivulous

what the fuk does HIAB meam? i seen it on the back of a 7 tonner togday.

HIAB is just a brand that makes things like the lifts on the back or those cool little fork-lifts you sometimes see strapped to the back of lorrys.

I never understood what exactly they're trying to express when they use the word, "Strueth." I just know they look like an ass when they use that word.

Strewth means gosh or blimey or flipping heck - quite commonly used in Australia (no idea why)

It actually derives from "god's truth" and was once regarded as blasphemous

As was Blimey - from God Blind Me

One good example of a word the British use that we in the U.S. seldom use is "nought".

You never hear an American say "nought to 60"....unless he/she watches Top Gear :)