Top Gear Lingo Americanized

I think "fleet" and I think "Ford Taurus." Apparently Clarkson thinks "repmobile" and he thinks of a 3-series diesel. My, how things are different.

Well good MPG hence the oil burner, and a roomy car with a certain air of quality (while not being flash) are what you need for cruising the motorways selling stuff to people. A 3-series might be seen as a bit too... you know... sales rep's car these days for any sales rep to bother with one.

I have a couple more terms that I want to put out there because I never get them. Both terms are used by JC to describe cars.

One is Suet pudding (spelling?) and the other is Lumpant or something....

An example for the latter would be TG 10x06 at 10:16. "Drags it round chicago in a Lump.... and joyless way"

Obv lumpant isn't an english word... so I was wondering if someone could rectify that matter.

You're got to love cockney slang!! Designed to confuse "Johnny Foreigner"!!!!

To be a Delia you would be drunk.

Delia Smith'd - Pissed (say it out loud and you'll get it!)

And to follow on you could say that you are Delia Smith'd down the nuclear sub after a few pints of nelson!!!

:D

Lol I know what lump is supposed to be in english, but I always thought he added some suffix to the word lump... I dunno maybe I'm crazy.

Thanks for the definitions :)

I think he's saying lumpen
From - German Lumpenproletariat degraded section of the proletariat, from Lump contemptible person (from Lumpen rags) + Proletariat
Date: 1936
1 : of or relating to dispossessed and uprooted individuals cut off from the economic and social class with which they might normally be identified

...doesn't entirely help I know...

OK Suet pudding
http://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-school/how-to/how-to-make-suet-pastry,23,AR.html

Lump (I'm guessing this is the way you mean) is basically something that is slow, lazy, fat, lethargic (lump of lard).
When I worked at a Grocery store there was a British lady who saw we had Suet in the weekly ad. She thought it was this meat stuff, like a hash. But it took me like ten minutes to convince her that in the states suet is bird food, as in you can't eat it for Sunday dinner, bird food. Oh, and she had bad teeth too.

When I worked at a Grocery store there was a British lady who saw we had Suet in the weekly ad. She thought it was this meat stuff, like a hash. But it took me like ten minutes to convince her that in the states suet is bird food, as in you can't eat it for Sunday dinner, bird food. Oh, and she had bad teeth too.

Dude, it's the same stuff. You might feed it to birds, but it can also be used as shortening for pastry or dumplings. I wouldn't know how to make dumplings without suet. Did you refuse to sell her the suet in the end then?