top gear live in sydney

Jaybo

just thought i'd give a quick shout out to anyone else crazy enough to drive from melb to syd for top gear live this weekend :D

i'm going up with 6 other guys on friday (6th feb) - i think we're leaving melb around 7am, anyone else from this forum making the trek up?

:lol: I'm being civilized and flying up Friday night, mainly because I had the flights booked for another time and changed them so I could go to the show.

9-10 hr drive vs 1 1/2 flight. I will take the flight. Enjoy the drive guys!!
We will be flying out early Saturday morning and leaving on Monday morning. And hopefully my friends and I will be able to squeeze in a walk up the Sydney Harbour Bridge on Sunday :woot:

Admittedly it's a boring-ass drive, but come on, it's an excuse for a road-trip!!

THIS.

My road trip to TGA last year was epic. In hindsight, TGA was almost the means to an end rather than the end in itself ...

That said, I'm flying in to see TGL, then flying out the next day. I couldn't send the poor Mazda on TWO Sydney road trips in such a short time. ;)

Unfortunately I don't know anyone else who is making the trip up to Sydney and the thought of driving the whole way myself is...no. Plus I have work so am flying up after and back Sunday night :) I'll hopefully fit in a walk across the bridge but you would not get me on top for love or money.

That said, I'm flying in to see TGL, then flying out the next day. I couldn't send the poor Mazda on TWO Sydney road trips in such a short time. ;)

I'd fly too. One trip across the Hay Plain was enough for me to never ever want to see it again.

I do believe you've missed the point :p

Admittedly it's a boring-ass drive, but come on, it's an excuse for a road-trip!!

I've done it before. I did it last November with my friends from Sydney back to Melbourne. I hated it. Was fun for the first 2 hrs then I got bored out of my mine. But I do see where you are coming from :p

There's going to be a bit of a heat wave in Sydney over the weekend, with the temp reaching about 44. I think the Motoring Showcase (that's mostly passable), and a bit of the Prestige & Performance Gallery will be outdoors. So take care and have fun :D

Last edited:
I'd fly too. One trip across the Hay Plain was enough for me to never ever want to see it again.

You don't have to go across the Hay Plain to do Adelaide-Sydney if you don't want to ... provided you have a decent GPS. We did the Hay Plain on the way over on the TGA road trip last year, but on the way back we went via Lockhart, Deniliquin and Swan Hill. The especially fun part was being taken across a 30km stretch of wide dirt road. Got to unleash my inner Makkinen on some of the corners without any real risk of totalling my car hundreds of k's from home. ;) Still got bits of dust from that road in the least accessible crevices of the 2's wheel arches too ... :lol:

If you must do the Hay Plain, do yourself a favour and avoid the Sturt Highway through the Riverland. That is a full on police state. There are at least two other ways to get to the border that are much more fun.

There's going to be a bit of a heat wave in Sydney over the weekend, with the temp reaching about 44. I think the Motoring Showcase (that's mostly passable), and a bit of the Prestige & Performance Gallery will be outdoors. So take care and have fun :D

That's OK ... I'm sure the the L'Oreal Mens Expert skin care range is SPF15+ ... :p

Last edited:
Im going to the show tonight with my mate, we did originally plan to get 'stig' style white helmets for the drive to the show, but.. ran out of time and its tonight =(

cant wait!

good show, clarkson/hammond didnt really seem that up to it or something, but everyone (overall) enjoyed it.

198c2a2f59.jpg

920780f6ea.jpg

was nice to see jesus in the audience..
as always.
;)

Just came back from it.

AWESOME LEVEL OVER 9000. :thumbsup:

Will post pics later.

[SPOILERS]

I went to the Friday night show at 8:00pm and I really enjoyed it. There were a lot of funny jokes, some very nice cars... except the Holdens and Fords :p I like how they really involved the audience with the cool wall and the lap time. Goodjob to everyone there putting in a good effort and getting us into 2nd spot overall!

The only part of the show I felt that really lacked was the finale with the 3D chopper thing. It just seemed kinda meh. They shoulda brought the Stig out a lot earlier too :)

Yeah - went to see the show on Friday - we drove up for the week and met so many other Melbournians doing the same thing it was kinda hilarious. Just got home as we got stuck in the bushfires. I'll always remember this trip now but not for the good parts.

Wish I had've gone. Sounded like great fun! Next year, though!

@eddysdaman Ah... yeah. I saw that all on the news. It's just unfathomable, it's like a war zone out there. I have to say, it's the first time I've teared up a bit watching the news.

I flew up from Melb>Syd Sunday am for the 2pm show, flew straight back. Went with my bro & nephew.

Thought getting Steve Pizzati as the third man in place of the Captain was a good move, kinda felt for him though when he didn't get [much] of an applause when stuck his head out.
Ironic that the 4x bike thing in the dome was almost a highlight, but that stunt driving in the 147s was pretty cool.
Would've have liked 'no loud music' when the stunt drivers rolled out in the Ferraris (what were they again?), it's not everyday you get to hear 3x of them, sometimes WFO in an enclosed space like that arena.
The car soccer (football? bumper ball?) was actually entertaining live, even though I saw the TV version a million times.

All three of them , Jezz, Hamond & Pizzaman sounded like they're just back from a bender. But Mr C sounds croaky most of the time anyway (Phelm in a can anyone?).

The Cool wall & lap thing with the cards was kinda intresting. In the end our crowd (2pm Sunday session) bagged the fastest time, but I was in two minds whether every crowd bags the fastest time.

The Lotus/chopper thing was a fizzer for me. Sure 3D works, but only if you're 7yrs old.

I timed it at 1hr 30mins, if you dropped the ads at the start, like the Nav-man & Audi ads.

If this sort of thing comes around again, I woud definatelly incorporate it with a road trip - but not the Hume drag feller, c'mon check out all the wiggly lines in between....

the show was good, i'm with marx on the motorbikes in the ball being a highlight, its not something you get to see very often :)

the roadtrip there & back was good, next time we wont do the hume both directions though, definitely head down the princes, we drove into syd, over the bridge & down to woolongong on the way home, probably the best move we did really, some nice roads out there, esp on the 'old princes'

we took somewhere in the order of about 50,000 photos on the weekend after strapping various cameras to our cars at different times, my mate got a suction cup camera mount & we did the lap thru syd & over the bridge with my 350d running at 3fps the whole way, 9600 photos, 4gb over 2 hours :D ill post a link to the videos we make from them up here in a few days once we've had time to sort through them all.

Went to the 8pm Saturday session and loved it. Not quite as good as a TV episode but credit where credit is due they had a lot of restrictions in place.

The Alfa Stunt Team and Car Soccer was the highlight for me.

Interestingly enough while we were in the foyer waiting for the show to start we saw Warren lurking about and heading to the back of the stadium and presumingly backstage.

Hopefully a TGUK: Australian special is being filmed while they are here :)

Oh and if any other FGer was at the same session I was one of the dudes in a "That's Not Gone Well" shirt :cool:

Last but not least well done to Steve Pizza-hut/man (as Clarkson often called him), slotted in well with the other blokes and seem to enjoy himself :)