• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Top Gear Magazine reviews 300C SRT-8

stealing stuff from other forums huh? :D
Chrysler has a tendency to be overambitious, chrysler reps at the auto show here were trying to convince me that the 300C is a better can than the S6 in every way possible :?

bartboy9891 said:
stealing stuff from other forums huh? :D
Chrysler has a tendency to be overambitious, chrysler reps at the auto show here were trying to convince me that the 300C is a better can than the S6 in every way possible :?

Yea, let's be honest the SRT-8 isn't winning any races with a m5 anytime soon... I think Chrysler should stick with the 300C/SRT-8's big guns:

-It's got a lot of interior room
-Very quick for the respective prices
-Looks good (you either love it or hate it.. I love it)
-Reasonable luxury for the price
-being based on the old E class, it's got very good crash test ratings - lots of added safety features too.
-at 30-40k it's a lot of car for not too much dough

The jury is still out on how the car fares long term, but I'll keep watching it.

it costs around $40K which isnt bad. but when you think about it, you are buying a used E-class. An S4 is just as fast and will handle better and the interior will be better. i would be willing to pay the extra $5K or $6K for the S4 instead.

Well, it looks awesome, is quite fast but obviously, the interior won't be up to scratch with it's Euro counterparts.

I agree with bartboy, go the S4, itd be more fun too.

bartboy9891 said:
it costs around $40K which isnt bad. but when you think about it, you are buying a used E-class.
The old E-class chassis isn't exactly crap. Just ask the Times Online review of it (300C model).

Now turn your attention back to its mechanics: the old E-class chassis was a class act then and so it remains. And as for that apparently antediluvian engine, it’s actually brand new and, in one respect at least, a sight more clever than any European rival. Boasting 5.7 litres and 340bhp at maximum effort, if you choose merely to potter it automatically turns off half its cylinders, boosting fuel economy by 10-20%.

^

But you don't get a true HEMI with the SRT-8.

From TG Mag article said:
We've already sampled the 5.7-litre V8 Hemi in the standard 300C, but the SRT unit has been given a thorough overhaul. Bigger bores take the capacity up to a huge 6.1 litres and the engine also has new valves, new breathing apparatus and a higher combustion ratio (10.3:1).

The increase in capacity has also witnessed the removal of Chrysler's clever Multiple Displacement System (MDS), which automatically deactivates four of the cylinders at cruising speeds.

the 300C is such a good-looking car.... i think if they would've sorted out the ride and handling and maybe got more power from that engine it would be an awesome ride....

watto said:
^

But you don't get a true HEMI with the SRT-8.

You don't get a true hemi in either, The chambers in the new hemi aren't really hemispherical as before in the first place. Its Teh Marketing.

^
Yeah, but at least in the 300C four cylinders shut-off so it can still be called a HEMI.

watto said:
^
Yeah, but at least in the 300C four cylinders shut-off so it can still be called a HEMI.
How would having cylinder shut-off be considered a true HEMI? The original HEMIs never even dreamed of such magic.

BlaRo said:
watto said:
^
How would having cylinder shut-off be considered a true HEMI? The original HEMIs never even dreamed of such magic.

Fucked if I know. I'm just going by what I've read in various online and magazine articles.

Educate me: What is a true HEMI?

watto said:
BlaRo said:
watto said:
^

Fucked if I know. I'm just going by what I've read in various online and magazine articles.

A true HEMI is an engine where the combustion chamber has hemispherical-shaped cylinder heads. This allows for the valves to be positioned in-line, allowing for more efficient power output with the spark plug in the center. True HEMIs have a fully spherical shape in the heads; today's HEMIs are in name only. The HEMI concept has been used in other cars by other companies (such as Porsche) but the "HEMI" name is copyrighted by Chrysler Corporation. It appeared in tons of powerful American muscle cars back in the day, which is why Chrysler pounds the HEMI drum in marketing so feverishly today to draw on this retro connection.

BlaRo said:
watto said:
BlaRo said:
watto said:
^

A true HEMI is an engine where the combustion chamber has hemispherical-shaped cylinder heads. This allows for the valves to be positioned in-line, allowing for more efficient power output with the spark plug in the center. True HEMIs have a fully spherical shape in the heads; today's HEMIs are in name only. The HEMI concept has been used in other cars by other companies (such as Porsche) but the "HEMI" name is copyrighted by Chrysler Corporation. It appeared in tons of powerful American muscle cars back in the day, which is why Chrysler pounds the HEMI drum in marketing so feverishly today to draw on this retro connection.

I have been educated! Thanks BlaRo... so basically, the HEMI name is still used to only warm to cockles of Americans hearts :p

watto said:
I have been educated! Thanks BlaRo... so basically, the HEMI name is still used to only warm to cockles of Americans hearts :p
Yeah, pretty much. Although don't tell it to these guys (more info on the HEMI). :lol:

Why do all the SRT-8 cars look exactly the same on the inside? If it weren't for the badge in the middle of the steering wheel, I probably wouldn't be able to tell which car I was in.

Besides, the 300C looks like a poor-man's Bentley. Go Magnum!

People should stop complaining about the interior. People who drive vehicles only care about what it looks from the outside and this car is PIMP! Do you think Jay-Z cares about the interior on his Escalade?? I think not.

Put an SRT badge on anything and I will come to my hands and knees for it :thumbsup:

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Put an SRT badge on anything and I will come to my hands and knees for it :thumbsup:

I have to say that I agree with you. I was looking at the Dodge website this arvo. Quite a few of the cars look boring (Charger and Magnum for example) but when you see the SRT version, man, they look PHAT.

I don't think i'd care how shitty the interior or build quality was, they just look awesome