Top Gear mind control

Top Gear didn't change mine, just reinforced some.

But I fucking lold at Clarkson saying 'huge four litre V8'.

My car is a bloody 4L and it's an I6 lolololol.

You still drive on the wrong side of the road. Nothing you said in your post convinced me of otherwise. Napoleon? WTF?

You still drive on the wrong side of the road. Nothing you said in your post convinced me of otherwise. Napoleon? WTF?

Just worked out the inspiration for the Audi badge - ring being short for ringpiece equates to the number of arseholes you can get in an A4! ;)

PS I'm joking before anyone gets too uptight. The cock thing only applies to drivers of Audis less than 4 years old which is when the transition from Beemers began here.

PPS I'm still right about the whole Napoleon thing 'though.

That metaphor doesn't really apply in this case, and no even to what you were insinuating.

You are right. I always understood it to mean something along the lines of, you can't see outside of your one part of the forest because you're surrounded by trees, and that you are oblivious to the larger forest because of it: you're too entrenched...not just that one is too concerned with a minute detail, rather than "big picture" stuff...

Well, whatever, I was really drunk when we had that argument so you can't really take anything I said seriously. :D

actualy Top gear simply reinforced most of the idea's I had about cars and certain car brands all along, I remember in the early days off new Top gear I used to sit there alot thinking 'at least someone who agrees with me!'

To ad to the left and right hand drive thing, I actualy prefer driving on the left, even in a RHD car.....just feels more natural.....weirdest thing.

Last edited:
Actually we drive on the correct side of the road. In days of old yadda yadda because of the connotations associated with being left-handed (witchcraft, the left being "sinister" etc etc) people were always taught to wield a sword with their right hand. For safety they would then pass each other on narrow paths sword-arm to sword-arm to make it harder for the person they were passing to launch a surprise attack and/or stab them in the back. Fast forward to the days of Napoleon Bonaparte who forced the change to driving (carts, carriages etc) on the right hand side of the road because of his extreme hatred of anything British. The rest of Europe adopted this system for convenience, as did the US because of the recent independance from British rule.

So there you have it, thanks to a shortarse Corsican with ideas above his station, and a bunch of uppity colonials, you and millions like you now drive on the wrong side of the road and are in imminent danger of being stabbed in the back at any moment.

Probably.

;)

Are you saying, here, that Napoleon did actually manage to do something that beat the british (by spreading out more than their system)?

British... they'd rather admit to have been beaten by Napoleon than admit they are the weird people driving the wrong way...

(only joking, clearly! :p:p:p :D)

-----------------

back OT

Yes, top Gear does change my mind and form some of my opinions on car. Not always, though, and in some cases I strongly disagree with TG and, more easily, with Jeremy.

Probably the only thing is I have the 'RWD is better mentality' from TG. But any car magazine or show will tell you that.

Actually we drive on the correct side of the road. .... blablabla.....

We invented the car, so we drive the car on the correct side of the road. End of story.

We invented the car, so we drive the car on the correct side of the road. End of story.

So you're also claiming to have invented the cul-de-sac?

The side of the road on which people drove/drive was established long before the invention of the car. We refer to the act as "driving" because originally that is what people did with livestock, hence words such as "drover" and "droveway", also "droves" as a way of saying mixed livestock such as a herd of cattle mixed with a flock of sheep.

By the way if I remember my history correctly, Germany didn't even exist at the time the car was invented and was simply a whole bunch of disparate states bound by a common language, so "we" doesn't apply here.

Please feel free to add this argument to the list of noble defeats handed to Germany by the English, along with two World Wars and one World Cup! ;) :p

By the way if I remember my history correctly, Germany didn't even exist at the time the car was invented and was simply a whole bunch of disparate states bound by a common language, so "we" doesn't apply here.

The Deutsches Reich came into existance in 1871, the car was invented in 1885.

Please feel free to add this argument to the list of noble defeats handed to Germany by the English, along with two World Wars and one World Cup! ;) :p

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Americans handed two world war defeats to the Germans, and also the German football Jersey has three stars on it, which is three times as many as the English Jersey does.

actualy Top gear simply reinforced most of the idea's I had about cars and certain car brands all along, I remember in the early days off new Top gear I used to sit there alot thinking 'at least someone who agrees with me!'

To ad to the left and right hand drive thing, I actualy prefer driving on the left, even in a RHD car.....just feels more natural.....weirdest thing.

Here's a question:

In the US, we drive on the right...maybe it's because of, or maybe we do these because of...how we move even without our cars. If two people are walking towards each other, we'll both usually, instinctually, move to the right. When you go to a storefront, and it has an entry door and an exit door, you (usually) keep to the right.

Is this different in LHD countries?

Last edited:
The Deutsches Reich came into existance in 1871, the car was invented in 1885.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Americans handed two world war defeats to the Germans, and also the German football Jersey has three stars on it, which is three times as many as the English Jersey does.

But the side on which you drive on continental Europe was established long before the invention of the car.

The Americans lent us a few reinforcements but were mainly involved in the war in the Pacific in WWII. And in any case we didn't defeat Germany we defeated the Nazis which is a wholly different thing. Germans are in my experience a decent, polite, hard-working bunch of people with a much better (and very dry) sense of humour than most English people would give them credit for.

And we won our only star beating Germany. None of your three came at the expense of England!!

In the US, we drive on the right...maybe it's because of, or maybe we do these because of...how we move even without our cars. If two people are walking towards each other, we'll both usually, instinctually, move to the right. When you go to a storefront, and it has an entry door and an exit door, you (usually) keep to the right.

Interesting question...I think we step to the left in the UK, but I'll have to keep a look out now and see what we do. It was the Romans who introduced the tradition of driving on the left into Britain, for the reasons MWF explained, so at one time even Germany, as part of the Roman empire, marched on the left.

Reactions: MWF
Wait, so the UK (and its empire) drives on the left because of the Italians, and the rest of the world drives on the right because of the French?

That sounds crazy... :lol:

However, that's ok, because either way, Italy wins. We gave the British their right habit, or we ourselves adopt the right one by now. We also won more Soccer World Championships than both British and Germans. :p

yuhu!

:cool:

Last edited:
When I was driving down to Cheltenham on Friday to see Richard questioning why I was stuck behind an Audi driver doing 50mph on a dual carriageway.

Last edited:
Here's a question:

Is this different in LHD countries?

Thing is , we also drive on the right, i'ts only when we go to the british isles we have to drive on the left (or else everyone gets upset for some reason, mostly the passengers in my car :cool:) , but I still prefer driving on the left eventhoug its more alien to me......must be a brainhalf thing.

And I pass people on the right on foot aswell to answer your question