Top Gear, needs more salt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

der_jackal

Car(s)
'05.5 S4 + '06 Discovery 3
Last edited:
... Do they just drive very fast in a straight line? Sounds staggeringly dull if that's all they do.

Well, they could veer slightly to the left and go diagonally.

Last edited:
* you look sexy =D - DolphinV8 2008-09-20 10:39:41 (0 views)

:lol::lol::lol:

---

Cool pics, though, there is a thread dedicated to this in the spoilers section as Momo63 pointed out. You may want to go and have a look there!

What's the situation here? Do they just drive very fast in a straight line? Sounds staggeringly dull if that's all they do.

I doubt it would be dull if they are maxing the cars out on at a place like the salt flats. Clarkson went to there to drive a drag car that he hit 215mph in, and he said it was terrifying. Granted, he said the car was very hard to control, but even in more normal cars it would be pretty exciting.

The thing I don't get is that 130 club your buddy with the S4 is in. If I got this right, you need to run between 130 and 140 mph over a measured mile twice in one day to join? What's the point? :blink:

The thing I don't get is that 130 club your buddy with the S4 is in. If I got this right, you need to run between 130 and 140 mph over a measured mile twice in one day to join? What's the point? :blink:

He was there with his car just for giggles. It can go faster than 140, but if you do and your car does not have a roll cage, you're booted from the event. But he was running his car just for fun and to say he did it.

He owns Status race seats and was there with other cars which were making real timed runs.

As far as the "What's the point?", I'm not sure what you are really asking what the point of what is? One of the points of doing two measured runs staggered like that is to remove the wind aid or resistance, and any other weather conditions which aid or hinder a car's top speed.

What's the situation here? Do they just drive very fast in a straight line? Sounds staggeringly dull if that's all they do.

You've never heard of the Bonneville salt flats i take it, its used for top speed trials, hence yes, they drive straight.

I doubt it would be dull if they are maxing the cars out on at a place like the salt flats. Clarkson went to there to drive a drag car that he hit 215mph in, and he said it was terrifying. Granted, he said the car was very hard to control, but even in more normal cars it would be pretty exciting.

You never want to take your regular car in the salt flats, the salt buildup in the underbody is so bad after speed runs that its difficult to clear it all out with a powerwash, leading to a setup for rusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.