Top Gear popularity: milestone ahead

bigfoot1942

i noticed the downloads are way more active lately, from tracker#1 the latest Top Gear episode (07x05) was downloaded 78810 times, from the backup tracker 16022 times. (total: 94832 times)

This means the 100.000 milestone (for a single episode) is close...

For comparison: the second most popular episode, 06x01, was downloaded 67201 times (64027 + 3174), and the previous episode was downloaded 57619 times (44001 + 13618).

i thought i'd share this news with you.

That's great! Come to think of it, all the people involved in providing us with episodes bring joy to the life of almost 100.000 people! (plus many more who just watch the show without downloading themself) Makes the effort kinda worth it I hope. :)

Re: Top Gear popularity: milestone ahead

bigfoot1942 said:
i noticed the downloads are way more active lately, from tracker#1 the latest Top Gear episode (07x05) was downloaded 78810 times, from the backup tracker 16022 times. (total: 94832 times)

This means the 100.000 milestone (for a single episode) is close...

For comparison: the second most popular episode, 06x01, was downloaded 67201 times (64027 + 3174), and the previous episode was downloaded 57619 times (44001 + 13618).

i thought i'd share this news with you.

That's pretty amazing. I'd be interested to find out how it compares to other shows - particularly the more popular American ones (such as Stargate, etc).

And of course how it compares to Fifth Gear! ;)

Oh and how it compares to the average viewing figures for when it's on TV...

:)

I wouldn't be so keen to adding up both. I dunno if some clients report "done" to both trackers or not.

I can imagine that the Veyron-factor helped a little bit with the last episode - there aren't that much independent reports reviewing it on television yet, I think.

Viper007Bond said:
I wouldn't be so keen to adding up both. I dunno if some clients report "done" to both trackers or not.
afaik they only see the tracker they currently are connected to. Check azureus. Besides, there would be no point in reporting 'done' to all trackers.

okay, we passed the milestone last week. 07x05 is now downloaded 88283 + 17810 = 106.093 times, and generated 106093 * 348.70MB = almost 37 TB data.
(now think about HTTP downloads :D)
That torrent was created 15 days ago, so the torrent would have averaged 28,5 MB/s

Wow...

Thats a lot of downloads dude. Do u guys think HTTP would be able to handle that much transfer....

That goes to show that Top Gear rules.

raheel_qamar said:
Thats a lot of downloads dude. Do u guys think HTTP would be able to handle that much transfer....

That goes to show that Top Gear rules.

HTTP can handle the transfer, granted it would have required someone pay for ALL 37TB. With it being shared, no single person had to pay the transfer bills.

There is no limitation on the amount of data an HTTP server could handle, the bigger problem would have been keeping the server accessible on launch nights, since there would be tons of people connecting. However the 37TB of transfer didn't happen all at once, its over the period of a week or two.

^that goes to show why bittorrent rocks, the sharing space, bandwidth and traffic power of that many pcs can't compare to the same attributes of a single web server.
IMO, this would be the principle on which the next generation of internet will run on, it would make internet so much more efficient if everyone shares into the power, space and traffic. It might not work in practice though, pitty :thumbsdown:

Viper007Bond said:
YEAAH! "Wow..."
TechZ said:
Also more than 1 episode is on BT at any given time, entire seasons infact, so you'd need to have all those previous episoes on HTTP to download. 37TB for 1 episode would lead to a nice hefty bill at the end of the month.
One big ass bill! I remember when this site was HTTP in April 04'. Boy did I leech!!! How did Viper cover the costs :eek:

I used to hate BT but I actually like it now. Its a great idea. Funny thing is, I still don't quite understand how the thing works :lol:

I cannot use BT a lot because of my volume limit, but I do like it. Above all, I've never had a bad or corrupted file (often happens with Mirc) and the quality is always top notch. You know what you get.

But strangely, the last weeks I cannot BT with my router/modem because all of our computers can't connect to the internet anymore. I have to switch to my USB modem :x