Top Gear Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still have 3 episodes left in the series, which has been good so far. Still, it seems that a lot of you are deciding early that it's either going to be awful or continue to be good. Let's all watch what's to come and find out. The coming shows may be great, they may also do this:

[video=youtube;jCyaXh-VZco]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCyaXh-VZco[/video]

We still have 3 episodes left in the series, which has been good so far. Still, it seems that a lot of you are deciding early that it's either going to be awful or continue to be good. Let's all watch what's to come and find out.

Oh I agree with you there. So far I've rated every episode of this series a 9/10, which is the highest rating I tend to ever give, unless absolute perfection is achieved.

If the OP takes everything Clarkson says so literally it must be great fun being him when it comes to watching him string out a similie. "What's that? It's as dramatic as putting a furious weasel in your underpants? I'll be the judge of that!"

Last edited:
Look, the train/caravan segment appears to be Epic Level Cocking About. This is more on the level of the Reliant Robin Space Shuttle than, say, Geoff or those stupid stretch limos (I'm sorry, but I really hate that episode). And they aren't trying to cram a review of, oh, say, a Gallardo into a flawed cocking-about idea either. This is the type of cocking about that we here at Final Gear like.

The only issue is whether they execute this well. Series 14 was destroyed by flawed ideas combined with bad execution. Series 15 was an improvement, but mildly wrecked by decent ideas let down by bad execution (I'm specifically thinking of the stupidity at the caravan site). The Snowbine was a very flawed idea, but with decent execution, and its more egregious moments could be ignored. They're making their way back to Series 9 levels of cocking about sequences. This will be the acid test. If they pull this off, they'll get back some of the goodwill that we here used to have for them. Personally, with the level of quality they've come up with so far this series, I'm willing to give them the chance before I spout off about anything.

Last edited:
Look, the train/caravan segment appears to be Epic Level Cocking About. This is more on the level of the Reliant Robin Space Shuttle than, say, Geoff or those stupid stretch limos (I'm sorry, but I really hate that episode).

I tend to agree about Geoff & the stretch limos - they are harder to rewatch than some of the other Cocking About eps. I also got the very distinct impression that the "we're making this show for our children" was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

I'm looking forward to this episode, maybe I have the mentality of a 12 year old girl. Now...where did I leave my Barbies....?

(do 12 year old girls even play with Barbies these days? Maybe I should go looking for some Living Dead Dolls, instead...) ;)

I just watched the vid this thread was based on. They mentioned hard core fans in Arizona and Final Gear. :blink:

They're watching me. I can feel it.

Yep. This here site was mentioned, and they know where you live! (Last part said in very sinister voice. :))

Hold up, isnt the reason Top Gear is so great, and that it has so many viewers is because it is so entertaining?

I think having a balance of cocking about and serious car reviews are great, i'm really interested about watching a hardcore analysis of MY2011 GT-R and XKR-S. As Long as the review is solid and proper, I don't mind at all if the challenge is mainly cocking about. Maybe every second challenge they do can be a serious car challenge like the sports hatchback one, which was great.

Also, what Clarkson and Wilman said cant possibly apply to the whole episode, just one segment, and thats fine, nothing wrong with that. If you want pure car reviews feel free to supplement your viewing with Fifth Gear.

Just my $0.02

(do 12 year old girls even play with Barbies these days? Maybe I should go looking for some Living Dead Dolls, instead...)

No, six year old girls play with Barbies. Twelve year old girls have moved on to alcopops and rolling their own cigs.

Do you seriously think they have made 17x04 to appeal to their daughters? If anyone has missed the point entirely it's you. These mini preview videos aren't intended to be taken that seriously. What they are saying is that one of the films in this week's episode is more likely to appeal to the child in all of us however there is still a twin track test and a SIARPC whom many of us have been craving for years. Add that to what we have seen so far this season and it is a quantum leap in terms of quality compared to, say, season 14.

If you are going to bitch about one segment amongst all that quality and take light-hearted comments from a web preview to heart then you are clearly clueless.

Oh god, just listen to yourself, "appeal to the child in all of us", no wonder you can't comprehend what i'm trying to say.

I'm not trying to "bitch about one segment", i'm merely saying that I understand now why Top Gear has gone from being a show about three guys who have a passion for cars, to a sitcom about three bumbling halfwits who traipse about the place setting things on fire.

I disagree entirely with ANYONE who says they weren't being serious. If it was some ruse, they'd be winking at the camera, but no, instead Clarkson casually reveals the two fundimental flaws that have been dogging this show for the last few seasons - "we have to make the show for everybody" and "it's for my 12 year old daughter".

It's no wonder that so many of us have been complaining about the obvious, scripted and fake nonsense that has been the bain of seasons past. Children (and i'm referring to 'real' children, and not the "child in all of us") don't pick up on this stuff like adults do. To them, it's just grown-ups acting like bunch of clowns. Top Gear has gone middle of the road in order to appeal to a far broader audience, but apparently at the expense of what made it such a good show in the first place.

As far as i'm concerned, the Top Gear mantra that was stated in the first few seconds of 01x01 was "This is a car programme". Well, i'm not so sure that's the case anymore...

Don't worry, I and most of the others posting in this thread know exactly what you are trying to say. And in case you hadn't noticed most of us are disagreeing with you and those who aren't are taking a much more neutral stance.

What you don't appear to be taking on board is what we are trying to say. No-one is denying that the show became a parody of itself a couple of years ago. For instance when they did that car art exhibition May was clearly embarrassed by the whole debacle and I for one was cringing for him.

This current series is light years away from that appalling quality yet in spite of that you are getting yourself all worked up about one piece of self-confessed silliness that they are admitting is geared more towards a less mature section of the audience. And to this I have just one thing to say....

https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mi/mineworksfine/2011/04/04/panties_demot.jpg

I'm looking forward to this episode, maybe I have the mentality of a 12 year old girl. Now...where did I leave my Barbies....?

(do 12 year old girls even play with Barbies these days? Maybe I should go looking for some Living Dead Dolls, instead...) ;)

When I was 12, I think I was more interested in my Star Wars figures and my BMX. My sister's Barbies only ever came out if my Action Man needed some, um, 'company'...

Mind you, I was always a bit shit at being a girl. I haven't improved with keeping...

No, six year old girls play with Barbies. Twelve year old girls have moved on to alcopops and rolling their own cigs.

Thanks! The last 12 year old I dealt with was myself...and that was a wee bit ago. Alcopops & cigs, huh? No wonder TG is aiming the show towards them, they're practically driving anyway! :lol:

When I was 12, I think I was more interested in my Star Wars figures and my BMX. My sister's Barbies only ever came out if my Action Man needed some, um, 'company'...

Mind you, I was always a bit shit at being a girl. I haven't improved with keeping...

Was Ken aware that Barbie was spending time with Action Man? Hmm...maybe that's why they split up a while back...

Barbie? I'm sure there is a waxing the growler joke in there somewhere. :think:

Was Ken aware that Barbie was spending time with Action Man? Hmm...maybe that's why they split up a while back...

Ken was usually too busy with, um, Where's The Action Man, not that they could get up to much with their plastic underparts. I thought everyone knew Barbie was just Ken's beard...

Though weirdly, my little sister also had a Sindy Range Rover... which looked remarkably like the one Jeremy drove in Bolivia :lol:

Picture1.png

(I would so love to be able to tell you that I blew that caravan up or set it on fire, but alas I did not)

Last edited:
Here's a radical idea that might not suit Mr. Lancer: watch the damn thing first, then judge. It isn't that long now.

Status
Not open for further replies.