Top Gear Russia

tgrv_stig_jeans.jpg

As someone pointed out, The Stig in jeans accidentally. Ok, not a jeans, but wtf

Don't want to write some detailed review. It just fails at all points as a Top Gear - wriggling presenters, mediocre scripting, confused direction and camera work, stupidest stars, awful soundtrack etc.

Here is uploaded 420 mb rip, but tomorrow someone will manage a better quality rip for a filesharing.

Last edited:
As someone pointed out, The Stig in jeans accidentally. Oh dear.

They aren't Jeans. They look like part of a black Nomex racing uniform... So, the Russian Stig is half Black Stig and half White Stig :p

I just finished the first episode and, with my limited Russian, understood some of it and thought it wasn't that bad. Yes, all the issues are there (especially the music...), but it's not much worse than TG Australia when it first aired... well, maybe a bit, but it's not terrible compared to the other Russian TV shows I've watched (read: suffered through).

Last edited:
I just got the 700mb rip. Time to see how it goes.

I don't suppose a version with subtitles will come out any time soon ...? :D

That said, sounds like TGR may not be worth subtitling ...

Filming is awefull indeed.

Quite liked Petrovsky, reminds me James May a bit in his temper. Fomenko is ok, nobody could be better than him on this position, much better than Cox in australia I'd say. Oscar has the same interest in cars as top gear dog I think.

The most disappointing thing - they hate everything not quick (WTF? mx5 is a great car!), and they love everything not russian.

MMM..... Presenters.... ummmm.... ok..... dunno.... I'd say I dont like their faces too much... and acting is bad... and script is bad too.

Filming is bad... bad.... but they try to simulate vignetting and color correction from the original... to give it I guess a TG feel... but there is just too much mistakes... some stuff you can see in reflections some... meh.. it just looks not that good at all...

This show is probably doomed... but it has some chance to become decent..

For those who still want to watch the first episode of Top Gear Russian Edition, I am uploading it to RuTube.ru (Russian analog of YouTube). There will be 3 parts of the show.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Attention! There must have been a mistale of some kind during upload so that the parts haven't uploaded in their full length. But you may use these as samples.

Last edited:
I can't even understand what the hosts are saying as I only speak English, but I still see that it's better than the first series of Top Gear Australia. There's obvious chemistry between the three guys. They don't shout all the time and they have already got some individual character. I thought the shooting looked quite good for a first show too. And I like the fact that they talk to each other rather than staring into the camera all the time.

Good luck to them! Looks like a positive start to me.

Last edited:
Well, I've just watched the first episode and understood about 6 words, but I'd have to say it looked like they were having fun and the test track looks better than the Top Gear Australia one. Even if you guys don't get the sub-title thing happening, I'll be watching again for some more of this:

TGR01.jpg

"Hello" :wave:

(the studio cameras must have focused in on her 10 times during the episode :lol:)

TGR01.jpg

"Hello" :wave:

(the studio cameras must have focused in on her 10 times during the episode :lol:)

Perhaps, she's cameraman's or producer's daughter :D .

And how do you like the Deputy of The State Duma who hardly fitted the car??? When he entered the car notice that Petrovski put a blue lights on the car's roof just as it in real life in Russia with government cars :p . And when the deputy was driven by the Stig he was just saying "Don't go that fast on our home-made car! It's designed just for 40 mph!"

By the way, the reasonbly priced car is Lada Kalina which TG UK hosts have once made fun of!

Last edited:
They aren't Jeans. They look like part of a black Nomex racing uniform...
No, they might be some racing uniform (as the creative producer also states), but they look like jeans :) Which is not a good thing, whatever they really are.

As for the first episode ? I expected worse. For now I see production team really trying to remain the level of the original show, but it's not yet working out very well. Although I think adaptation is already watchable, especially compared to other automotive shows, translated over Russian tv.

And I'm going to watch at least two more episodes before making final opinion about the TGR.

After what some of you wrote here I was prepared for something really rubbish, but it isn't thad bad. It was decent show in my opinion. Scripting, directing and editing should improve though. I was in St. Petersburg as a kid and it is beautiful place so why they didn't show that? Race seemed like director did't have idea for it. The worst part was music, it was just terrible.

My Russian is rubbish, so I can't say much about what presenters was talking about (and they talk a lot with each other) but it looked more natural then guys in Australian version. But still I can't if they are funny or not.

There was't in this episode, it was mora like introduction of presenters and idea of star around the track so I think I need to see one or two more episodes.

And why the studio part is in 4:3 format? Who's idea was that? And the other parts are 16:9 so I get letterbox effect.

I can't even understand what the hosts are saying as I only speak English, but I still see that it's better than the first series of Top Gear Australia. There's obvious chemistry between the three guys. They don't shout all the time and they have already got some individual character. I thought the shooting looked quite good for a first show too. And I like the fact that they talk to each other rather than staring into the camera all the time.

Good luck to them! Looks like a positive start to me.

x2
It was great start, although sub-titles would help as my Russian is very rusty rubbish! :)

Perhaps, she's cameraman's or producer's daughter :D .

And how do you like the Deputy of The State Duma who hardly fitted the car??? When he entered the car notice that Petrovski put a blue lights on the car's roof just as it in real life in Russia with government cars :p . And when the deputy was driven by the Stig he was just saying "Don't go that fast on our home-made car! It's designed just for 40 mph!"

By the way, the reasonbly priced car is Lada Kalina which TG UK hosts have once made fun of!

They did pretty well to get such a high ranking politician on the first episode. Who were the other "stars"?

The Lada didn't look particularly "standard". Aside from the obligatory roll cage and seats, it looked like it had an aftermarket steering set-up ... and it sounded ... well .... quite good (at full throttle). Also, what is a Lada doing with a rear diffuser?

AFAIK it is not a standard Lada at all.. they tune it qute a bit. It has V6 engine to start with (There is no Ladas with engines bigger that 1.7L R4) and quite some work with suspention.

It looked flatter and more controlled than the Mazda MX-5 going around the track. :blink: