Top Gear seeks to recover cars from controversial Argentina episode

I don't know how to stop it from coming up in other threads, though.
You're not supposed to stop it from coming up, you're supposed to stop talking about and replying to it.

Oh, so you're not really tired of the subject/discussion at all; you just want to shut down the side you disagree with. Thanks for at least being honest.

Reactions: MWF
The point of stopping talking about this is that everybody will eventually stop talking about this when they don't get any replies to their remarks.

In this thread, it is offtopic anyway.

Last edited:
The Interceptor didn't want to mute you. But he said you disagree with 458 and you'd never come to a conclusion, therefore it is pointless ang going nowhere.

Now he was faster than me. :)

There's a 'common wisdom' in my country if I can call it so: "The more you interfere with a s*it the more it smells".

Oh, so you're not really tired of the subject/discussion at all; you just want to shut down the side you disagree with. Thanks for at least being honest.

No we want everyone to stop talking about Alabama because it's not relevant to the thread topic and also because the argument has been done to death elsewhere already. I don't give a toss about which side of the argument you are on.

The point of stopping talking about this is that everybody will eventually stop talking about this when they don't get any replies to their remarks.

In this thread, it is offtopic anyway.

Exactly.

The can of worms has been reopened.

I think we can close "the case" here, with the lack of evidence. Cause they never gonna find the

red Porsche with the number plate H982 FKL on it.
noor
digits 269 on the number plate of the Ford Mustang Richard Hammond drove
or
the numbers 646 on James May?s Lotus

:lmao: Funniest thing is, all that bull is written right next to the actual picture from the episodes. Imagine how angry/stupid/screwhanded this man had to be to write that.

I can understand the complaint about Jeremy's number plate, stupid as it may be. And I believe all of them when they say it was unintentional. But the complaint about the other two - that Richard's 269 is "close" to the number of Brits killed, and that James' 646 "could be" a reference to the number of Argentinian casualties, is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. So by that reasoning, James' punishment should be greater than Richard's since his plate number was closer to the actual number. So pathetically ridiculous.

Jack, they said Porsche was red, And May didn't have 646 on his plate, so as Hammond 269. All this "report" came from a freckle-fever'd teenager, who couldn't care to actually watch episode closely before writing his drammatic action thriller. (as is often on such resourses as telegraph)

"and the numbers 646 on James May?s Lotus could be taken as a reference to the 649 Argentinian casualties."

649 is my house number. Should I be worried? :ninja:

Had to read most of the article to figure out the alleged crime.

Prosecutors claim the Top Gear team committed a crime under article 289 of the Argentinian Penal Code which carries a prison sentence of between six months and three years for those who ?falsify, alter or suppress the number of an object registered in accordance with the law.?

Mrs Barrionuevo concluded in April in the ruling which has now been nullified that the Porsche number plate was swapped ?with the aim of ending the main focus of conflict and avoiding violent reactions by locals which indeed ended up taking place.?

That's pretty petty and spiteful to overturn a reasonable ruling based on the accused (rightly) fearing for their lives. And pointless, because that defense will (or should) be obvious at every stage in the process (especially extradition, as already stated).

That's pretty petty and spiteful

It's Argentina, almost universally hated by other countries in that area and only really liked by certain West Europeans during the mid 40s, as a holiday destination. It was to be expected.

I can understand the complaint about Jeremy's number plate, stupid as it may be. And I believe all of them when they say it was unintentional.

I still struggle to believe that part, since they have a precedent for such things. I know the plates came with the car, but that doesn't really mean much in the end. But of course they'll deny any wrongdoing, since they'd have nothing to gain otherwise, no matter what the whole truth is.

The other plates though... yeah, that's a major stretch.

I think we can close "the case" here, with the lack of evidence. Cause they never gonna find the

noor

or

:lmao: Funniest thing is, all that bull is written right next to the actual picture from the episodes. Imagine how angry/stupid/screwhanded this man had to be to write that.

Looks like the author has trouble even identifying cars. Reminds me of the saying "if you can't swim, you stay out of the damn swimming pool".

To be honest, claiming that the numberplate was just pure coincidence is the same as finding your 5-year-old son next to the empty sweets cupboard and saying:
"Yes, this kid has got chocolate all over his face - BUT I did not see him eat the chocolate."

This is especially true considering that TG has a strong reputation of not being extremely careful about what they do and say.

To be honest, claiming that the numberplate was just pure coincidence is the same as finding your 5-year-old son next to the empty sweets cupboard and saying:
"Yes, this kid has got chocolate all over his face - BUT I did not see him eat the chocolate."

This is especially true considering that TG has a strong reputation of not being extremely careful about what they do and say.

Best case scenario when looking for that specific car they saw the license place and said "Yes get that" because from what they said it's quite difficult to find that car with a Manual transmission and after having a look for one I really do buy that. Maybe I'm not the most thorough car seeker in the world but I just can't imagine the motivation for such a thing, to choose a car because of a reference? I don't think so, the whole situation is crazy stupid and there is absolutely no reason to keep up such a lie especially now that they aren't even with Top Gear.

As Richard Porter observed, while this is the sort of thing they would do, this particular joke is too subtle for them. Their jokes tend to be much more over the top than having to read into a number plate an insult that is not particularly obvious. Think 'Man Love' painted on the side of a car in southern USA.

When it comes to a choice between the opinions of people who weren't there and don't know anything first hand, and the opinions of those who were there and actually know, I'll go with option 2.

Oh for crying out loud not this rubbish again. You sound like those people who persist in claiming the moon landings were faked at a disused airbase in the Arizona desert.

Here is what happened.

1. Clarkson decides he wants to take a 928 on this trip. He also wants a manual gearbox.
2. Researcher (who wasn't even born when the Falklands conflict took place) locates two for sale in the UK.
3. One of the available cars is black, which they decide against because black cars don't look good on film.
4. They buy the other one.
5. The car gets shipped and only then do they notice the original number plate on the car and realise it could cause offence so they have plates made for the vanity plate the car wore at some point in its history to avoid controversy.

The TG crew have a reputation for taking the piss but they aren't completely stupid. If this were deliberate it would be almost as bad as if they'd spent half the Middle East trip with bacon in the engine bays and swigging vodka from the bottle as they drove along.

It was an unfortunate coincidence which is being milked by people with an axe to grind. You note nobody from Argentina has apologised for the behaviour of the thugs who did what they did to the crew. Why not? No mileage in it.

You note nobody from Argentina has apologised for the behaviour of the thugs who did what they did to the crew. Why not? No mileage in it.

Hear, hear.