Top Gear Show/Site Suggestions

I think either absence or absinthe. ;)

And actually, postponing S15 to the fall would be a better idea than trying to program it around the World Cup (assuming BBC Two is going to air coverage of it again).

I'd like to see them do a Saab tribute, whether Saab survives or not.

I want to see Sebastien Loeb as the star in the reasonably priced car. He is the most successful WRC driver ever, yet they never mention anything about WRC in Top Gear, well except when they talked about the sad death of McRae, Burns and also when they talked about ProDrive cars and Lancia's.

I want to see Sebastien Loeb as the star in the reasonably priced car. He is the most successful WRC driver ever, yet they never mention anything about WRC in Top Gear, well except when they talked about the sad death of McRae, Burns and also when they talked about ProDrive cars and Lancia's.

I never thought about that but boy is it a f*cking good idea that! I bet he could give Hamilton, Button and Stiggy a run for them money.
Considering the man drives a rally Citroen (certainly closer to a normal car than an F1) I would go even further by saying he'd beat them.

But there is close to no chance of that happening since he's not british and no F1 driver.

Damn you OneStiffGT, I want that badly now! :p

I never thought about that but boy is it a f*cking good idea that! I bet he could give Hamilton, Button and Stiggy a run for them money.
Considering the man drives a rally Citroen (certainly closer to a normal car than an F1) I would go even further by saying he'd beat them.

But there is close to no chance of that happening since he's not british and no F1 driver.

Damn you OneStiffGT, I want that badly now! :p

Let's not forget that he is also the fastest driver on tarmac in WRC. Every episode of Top Gear that I watch, I keep my fingers crossed to see him, but I always get dissapointed.

It maybe because he is French, and it seems like Top Gear always likes to point out the pride of being British.

"France is a country you have to drive through to get to Italy. That's all it's for." ~ James May

FFS.

Good Lord, don't take it so personal and so badly! :blink:
As a joke I was sort of responding to James himself for what he said, not to you.

Now if what he says is witty, brilliant, funny and almost as level a gospel and other posters's replies aren't as witty, brilliant and funny 'cos they didn't say that on tv then I guess we all lose here.
You post a quotation that was meant to amuse or make people react, and now you have it your answer's "FFS", what did you expect really?
Plus my answer was far from nasty or vicious, just a bit sarcastic.

They should make a new segment during the news called "Petter Solberg speaks english".
That would be awesome!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbsV4R3ZEEw[/YOUTUBE]

The Haynes Manual Challenge

It seems that over the years there has been a trend that people no longer have a clue how to carry out even basic maintenance on their cars... but why?

Presenters + car + haynes manual... after all they are the presenters of the worlds leading car show, they should be good at this sort of stuff.

Satnav Spy Game.

The main thing needed for this game is some manner of satnav/GPS tracker thingy that can be installed in three cars, allowing the drivers to see not only their own position, but also the positions of the other two. I don't know if such a system exists, but if not then some boffin can probably put it together.

The game goes as follows: take the three satnav tracker equipped cars, plonk them down in three separate locations in the outskirts of a city. Provide the drivers with digital cameras, and here's the challenge: using the satnav they're supposed to navigate through the city, and take photos of a number of predetermined things - buildings and whatnot. Each (clearly) photographed target gives, say, 5 points.
Meanwhile, there is another challenging thing: if a driver manages to take photos of the others, he will get 10 points per picture (provided it's clear enough for the driver and/or his car to be recognisable). This should be both easy and hard - since they can see each other's positions they can stalk, but the stalked can see the stalker coming, and either flee or make their own pounce.
The game ends after a specified period of time, and the one who's gathered the most points wins.

Now, about the cars. Since it's a spy game, it could be a way to determine the best Bond car, or the best spy car in general. Or it could be a way to determine the most discreet car - or the most discreet supercar (it would be quite amusing seeing, for example, a Pagani, a Koenigsegg, and a Ferrari Enzo trying to lurk unnoticed). Or it could be regular cars with numbers/text on them, or obnoxiously bright colours, so they're easily recognisable. Whichever works best.

I haven't actually played this game myself (I don't even have a car), so I don't know how well it'd work in practicality, but I'd love to give it a go. It might need some tweaking, and I somehow I don't think playing it during the rush hour would be such a great idea. ;)
Also, there is the location to consider. A city none of the drivers is too familiar with could even out some odds, and personally I'd like to see it take place in Stockholm. Not too small, not too big, with a bit of geography adding some spice to the game, what with the city being built on islands, interlaced with high bridges, and deep tunnels where the GPS signal might be lost.

I'd like to see them do an Australia special- it's a big country and the landscape changes alot, so it's got the same base points as all the other OS specials. Perhaps...Perth to Byron Bay ? They could bend around the coast for a bit and then streak up through the desert and through the mountains. Too far? Maybe see if they can make it all the way around Tassie?

New Zealand has some great landscape candy too, not to mention the amusing accents. It's the Wales of the Pacific.

For regular show stuff- maybe a modified VW Beetle race? They hate them so much, why not give them a chance to change what they hate about them and see which one is the best? At the very least you get to wreck 3 bugs (can't believe I just said that). I had a bug- '68 with a v8 engine, went like the stig. Wish I still had it.

I would love to see the guys go to america and do a 50 states 50 best driving roads special... One road per state... They always seem to be able to find entertaining things to say about the people they meet and I think it would be a great bit of content

Okay here are my ideas - well possibly mixed in with some completely accidentally stolen ideas:

1. Another form of the cheap car challenge. These have always been brilliant and they could slant it with a credit crunch edge to suit the current climate - witness the beauty of my vague.
2. A challenge to do with the Japanese Drift car scene, a bit hazardous and quite likely to get them killed but could be a laugh.
3. I know Jeremy would hate it but possibly a motorcycle rally thing, I'm sure they could come up with some sort of car angle.
4. Get a load of kids to design their own supercar, the winner has to be built by the TG3.

Erm... I sort of suck at ideas! Andy, do not employ me on Top Gear. I know you're tempted but it wouldn't be good for the show.

Kick me immediatly if such an Thread allready exsists! :D

Ok, what Challenges would you like to see the boys on Season 15? :)

Ok here are my suggestions:

- Driving across Europe to Japan - Challenge
- Drive to the South Pole
- Cross Australia in Sports-Saloons
- Build Submarines out of Normal Cars
- Build a Flying car
- Build an Offroad-Vehicle out of normal Cars
- Electric Car 2nd Attempt (claiming the Eagle-Hammerhead was rubbish)
- Building their own Caravan-Van-Coaches..
- Cheap Luxury cars
- Rebuild a scrap car and drive with it across Europe to North Africa
- Build a Cheap Showroom car and present it on a Motorshow

And now your's! :)

Just copied from my thread. :p

Here's an idea:

Its awfully ambitious and would be a pain to organise and attempt, but the challenge would be for the team to try and re-create the film "C'?tait un rendez-vous" (Wikipedia), where the director Claude Lelouch drives his car flat out through Paris early in the morning (it was meant to be his Ferrari 275GTB, although it was actually his Merc with the sound of the Ferrari dubbed over)

For Top Gear, it could involve the three group-testing new supercars (e.g Ferrari 458 Italia, Merc SLS AMG, McLaren MP4-12C) then seeing which does the best job in re-creating the film, by driving through an empty city (god knows where :p )

Or it could perhaps be a race (e.g. old Ferrari vs. new Ferrari) or something along those lines.

Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOngL0mEhgI
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOngL0mEhgI[/YOUTUBE]

I would love to see the guys go to america and do a 50 states 50 best driving roads special... One road per state... They always seem to be able to find entertaining things to say about the people they meet and I think it would be a great bit of content

I have nothing against the USA and its people (au contraire!) but that'd be too much of America in one go to my liking, imagine how many episodes would be needed for that project anyway! Plus it'd take months and months to make meaning no more regualr TG for a long long while.
Top Gear remains quintessentially British and/or European and I would like it to stay that way. Not sure that 50 best roads from 50 European countries would get you panting either from that side of the pond for instance.

I would love to see more of the cheap car challenges. I like how they tend to specify the type of car that needs to be used (eg. rear wheel drive, 4x4, etc.) I could see the original cheap car challenge being given a reboot with the presenters being told to buy a people-carrier or an estate car, or maybe take a look at some bargain used hatchbacks. Could also do some more modification-type challenges, perhaps one where they have to spruce up a bus (get it to go faster, revamp the interior, etc.) Would eat up the budget like nobody's business though!

Can't go wrong with another big epic trip - crossing Siberia would be a fantastic voyage. The official federal-government highway to Yakutsk should definitely get a look in as well (although maybe not during the rainy season!)

What would also be quite interesting is a feature where each presenter picks out a car that they think took the biggest leap forward on the field of motoring... Unless they all just pick the Citroen DS. =P

I would like to see them drive a portion of the Karakoram Highway, particularly the border between Pakistan and China. The Khunjerab Pass is the highest paved border crossing in the world. At just over 15,000 feet, the boys should be able to handle it.

This is also a region of the world that many petrolheads wouldn't know about, and the road is supposed to be spectacular. And a little dangerous.