Top Gear Show/Site Suggestions

Put two of the presenters in a vintage tank, and have them race against a production off-road vehicle (Rage buggy, SUV, something of that nature) through the desert. I think the 1943 Bogart film "Sahara" would be great starting point to base this challenge on. Apparently old Russian tanks aren't extremely hard to come by, though it would be truly awesome to see an old Sherman, or a Lee, or a Grant.

Go out in a military warship; Destroyer, retired Battleship, etc. and use active artillery against floating targets. Sink a Caravan that has been made to float, or a floating G-wiz. Have Richard shoot Oliver! LOL!

Edit: If Richard shoots Oliver it has to be on land at great distance... that way he won't know what he's shooting at, and he will be able to survey the damage.

Further Edit: Put a "Mission Accomplished" banner up somewhere, that would be great!:lol:

Last edited:
How about "Car-Planes"?, I remember a few years ago the TV Show "Monster Garage" did this with a Miata, and made it sucessfully work! If Jesse James could do it, why can't the TG Trio? I know you're probably thinking of bad memories with the Reliant Robin Space Shuttle, but this would be interesting to see...

I'd like to see a race down a hill between an off-roader and Hammond in one of those huge inflatable plastic bubble things - the scope for 'hamster-ball' piss-taking would be epic. Even funnier if it was one of Hammond's own precious Landrovers....driven by Jeremy. :lol:

Hey guys, i just fort of i new idea. Have a battle of the hot hatchbacks, but with a twist. Rather than do, or example, Golf GTI v Focus St v Megane, which is what most people would do. Why not have a Polo GTI v Golf GTI, Megane RS v Clio RS, Fiesta ST v Focus ST, Corsa VXR v Astra VXR?? just fort it was a good idea. get each of the presenters, inc stig n they have a few battles. or they could choose a manufacture, e.g. VW n battle against another preseneter in a Ford. what you guys think???

An interview of Stanford R. Ovshinsky, the founder of Ovonics, (though he may not be up to it, since the drowning of his wife) about the hydrogen and solar technology he has developed.

since the BBC hounds them to test real-world, average cars...how a about a long-term test/challenge...James picks a car for Jeremy to use for 30-days as a daily driver...Richard chooses for James and Jeremy picks one for Richard...

Not a bad idea that, actually... I can see it now

Jeremy will end up with a big Jag, or an old Roller, or something and hate it
Richard will end up with something really tiny like a 107 or something similar, and hate it
James will get something with a lot of POWWWEEER like one of those big AMG mercs, and hate it.

mileage speed challenge

mileage speed challenge

They get a small small sum of money to go buy the most fuel efficient used cars they can find for a challenge....like all their challenges. However they cannot buy an old cooper...the Stig gets one to drive as a control against all of them perhaps? i dunno.

But, instead of a mileage challenge, its a performance challenge so they all have to get the most out of their efficient cars as possible....AND still get awarded for better mileage. So it's a selection of finding the best used performance high mileage car as possible.

I've been waiting for the Hot Hatch cheap car challenge.

I've been waiting for the Hot Hatch cheap car challenge.
I think it was Season 3 they did a 1500 lb. challenge. Jeremy bought a Mitsubishi Starion, Richard got an old BMW E20 series (i think), James got a rusty leaky Jag XJS v-12. It was a fun episode, thee first i ever saw and it got me hooked on the show. But yeah they need a new low cost challenge.

I'd like to see a race down a hill between an off-roader and Hammond in one of those huge inflatable plastic bubble things - the scope for 'hamster-ball' piss-taking would be epic. Even funnier if it was one of Hammond's own precious Landrovers....driven by Jeremy. :lol:

OMG, I love that idea!!! They should so do that!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::cool:

Nascar at the Top Gear test track. It might crash though, since they only turn left! (it's a joke, I know there are Nascar tracks with turns :mrgreen:)

Nascar at the Top Gear test track. It might crash though, since they only turn left! (it's a joke, I know there are Nascar tracks with turns :mrgreen:)
Oh boy, more America bashing!

I think it was Season 3 they did a 1500 lb. challenge. Jeremy bought a Mitsubishi Starion, Richard got an old BMW E20 series (i think), James got a rusty leaky Jag XJS v-12. It was a fun episode, thee first i ever saw and it got me hooked on the show. But yeah they need a new low cost challenge.
The 2-door coupe challenge was good.
But they've done bunch of cheap car challenges, I'm just surprised they haven't done a hot hatch one.

I've been watching the news, and I read Mr. Clarkson's, and Mr. May's articles, in the Sunday Times and The Telegraph every week. I think with the current economic crisis going on in England, the USA, and many other countries, there should definitely be a "do it yourself" vehicle segment. I picture it being similar to the jet powered bicycle, or the Vietnamese improvised vehicles, both of which Clarkson has covered before. Obviously the vehicles would have to be road legal, but that's it really.

Perhaps it could also include something with old cars, like the Model T (or perhaps something that hasn't been reviewed), that were once inexpensive and efficient, and to some extent, still are today. Maybe it could then loop around to some modern economy cars, pointing out that even though the Smart car is kitch and trendy, there are many other cars that get close to the same fuel economy, and that you wouldn't have to saw one of your friends legs off to put them in the back. Since it seems that everyone may very well be broke soon, some practical thinking for the masses might be a good idea.

Don't get me wrong though! We still need to live vicariously through the lives of Jeremy, James, and Richard, and the Super Cars they drive in ways that most of us can only dream of.

Last edited: