Top Gear sparks Mexico complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Americans are regularly accused of being fat and ignorant of the rest of the world. You don't see our embassies bitching.

En caso de que no est? consiguiendo la broma, estoy burlando de el estereotipo de que todos los americanos son ignorantes de otras culturas, as? como en sin educaci?n

Yea... google translate is not precisely a great translation...

That's where the line was crossed. When Clarkson does it, it's done with charm and is clearly self-effacing - the subtext is clearly "I'm ignorant and I don't care".

When Hammond said what he did, it was charmless and sounded just plain nasty. And for an American audience (I speak as an ex-pat living in the US), it was off-colour given the situation in states like Arizona. In the US, it really makes him sound like a idiotic, red-necked Glenn Beck fanatic. I just hope he realises...

Precisely, it had a lot more to do with the intention of the delivery and not the message. Honestly, Clarkson was being the same old clown he always is, May was the same old pompous cock he is. "Sick with cheese" well.... maybe where he eats or thinks that Taco Bell is Mexican food.

But Hammond really made a point of driving the point home...

"Imagine waking up every day just to remember you are a Mexican"

Now... if that is not insidious and xenophobic, I don't know what is. The rest was just bad comedy and ignorance... can certainly be ignored.

Last edited:
I always find the American jokes/insults funny, especially when they come from Clarkson. He's more American than most Americans. :p

Bah, as a country with a driver in F1, winning drivers consistently in the top echelons of US motorsport and a number of excellent and historic race tracks, taking insult from what Jeremy Clarkson says about your country says more about you than him.

(not aiming that remark at you personally)

The Ambassador was pretty much forced into asking for an apology - but seriously this is no worse than anything else that comes out of Clarkson's mouth on a weekly basis. And let's be honest there is a reason he is so popular.

Bigots are bigots, and blaming others for their prejudices won't get you anywhere.

First... Thanks Cobol 74 :)

Dear Pudu (that sounds wierd somehow): I share your point of view man, the mexican gov had to complain, otherwise us mexicans would have been pissed at them instead of pissed at the 3 guys I love/hate most in the world.

I am intrigued as to how the embassy is going to try to fix this, because all of the complaints filed to the BBC before this one were not from a diplomatic source, rather from a morris marina owners club or something or other...

Now, here in Mexico things have heated up a bit as the general population becomes angry at the stereotype, this is people who have never watched the show and had no idea that Top Gear existed until 2 days ago. So apparently the embassy will have to be more energic in getting an appology.

Anyone who has watched every TG episode will know that Clarkson, May and Hammond DO NOT apologize, not even the prostitutes scandal got them to give an apology; however, this time the apology is demanded, and it comes from an official government statement.

All in all, I ask the world to forget this as fast as possible, to keep eating Mexican food, visit Mexico (promise you wont get killed) and I you fancy one buy a Mastretta...

As far as the stereotypes go, they're all lies, although I did doze off a couple of times while writting this, and the poncho I'm wearing is making writting thing awfully complicated

All the talk of Mexico probably boosted food sales in other countries, I just had some Carnitas.

Since I'm currently stuck somewhat watching Looney Tunes cartoons, I'm just thinking of two words related to this situation:

Speedy Gonzales. And how and why those cartoons disappeared from public view.

Top Gear has jumped the shark, guys. Even The Economist has weighed in on this one. The remarks were painfully planned in advance and were taken too far. I know Clarkson has mocked Mexico before, but Richard really twisted the dagger here to the point where it really wasn't funny. How many more penis jokes and random, precoordinated racism can they cram in before the public turns on them?

Since I'm currently stuck somewhat watching Looney Tunes cartoons, I'm just thinking of two words related to this situation:

Speedy Gonzales. And how and why those cartoons disappeared from public view.
"You have to meet my cousin Speedy, he is the fastest mouse in all of Mekico"

Loved those, along with Peppy LePew the French lover.

Top Gear has jumped the shark, guys. Even The Economist has weighed in on this one. The remarks were painfully planned in advance and were taken too far. I know Clarkson has mocked Mexico before, but Richard really twisted the dagger here to the point where it really wasn't funny. How many more penis jokes and random, precoordinated racism can they cram in before the public turns on them?
I'm not a stuck up prude, I'll take what they dish out and enjoy a good TV show.

Where are all the Australians defending Clarkson for wishing them well after all the flooding and devestation they have dealt with? Cmon Aussies! ;)

Maybe a Mexican road trip should be next. A drag race down the "7" that is Cancun?

No pondras mi comemtario moderador?? Ok gracias puedes seguirte riendo de mi cultura amigo de gringos!!!

Siendo un nuevo miembro, tenes que tener paciencia, porque al principio los primeros mensajes puden tardar en actualizarse, y a veces son revisados para comprobar que no sean spam

I si te registraste en este foro para discutir en este tema, podes hacerlo tranquila y objetivamente, sin acusar a los moderadores de nada

EDIT: Y por cierto, este es un foro de habla inglesa, asi que si de verdad queres ser escuchado, habla en ingl?s, o no esperes ser entendido ni que te tomen en serio

Last edited:
Being German, I find this whole affair incredibly funny. :mrgreen:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there's a Morris Marina dropped onto a Mexican VW Beetle in one of the next few shows.
:lol: How about a competition? Who can cut the head top off a Mexican VW Beetle the fastest? James with a plasma cutter, Jeremy with an oversized angle grinder or the Hamster with his sharp and surprisingly white teeth?

It's Borat all over again.
Quite so. I would never have known of the re-fried Mexican sportscar if not for Top Gear and I wouldn't have started considering Romania as a holiday destination without the TG road trip... not for another couple of years anyway.

Last edited:
Siendo un nuevo miembro, tenes que tener paciencia, porque al principio los primeros mensajes puden tardar en actualizarse, y a veces son revisados para comprobar que no sean spam

I si te registraste en este foro para discutir en este tema, podes hacerlo tranquila y objetivamente, sin acusar a los moderadores de nada

EDIT: Y por cierto, este es un foro de habla inglesa, asi que si de verdad queres ser escuchado, habla en ingl?s, o no esperes ser entendido ni que te tomen en serio

Esta bien muchas gracias.

Where are all the Australians defending Clarkson for wishing them well after all the flooding and devestation they have dealt with? Cmon Aussies! ;)

Maybe a Mexican road trip should be next. A drag race down the "7" that is Cancun?

Yea! a Baja 500 classic... So that we Mexico can provide them with a warm welcome and a nice place of refried vomit and cheese.

It looks like the little publicity stunt that Top Gear pulled in their last aired show using Mexicans as the but of the joke http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/741742.html might backfire big time.

This stunt appeared not only in all circulation British newspapers, and several other news outlets of associated content, but made it to front page of many Mexican large circulation papers and to at least the 5 and 10 o clock news of the to biggest news stations in the country.

Now, the National Institute of the Radio, which is a regulator by example radio network has banned of the programing of its 9 nationwide stations any and all content from the BBC.

I am extremely curious to see if this time the trio will add injury to insult with their classic replies to complaints. I wonder what would happen.

Hic molestus Latini non scio. :p

Last edited:
Now, the National Institute of the Radio, which is a regulator by example radio network has banned of the programing of its 9 nationwide stations any and all content from the BBC.
Cue the Mexicans: "Thank God for torrents!"

It might be time for the regulators to grow a pair and brush that chip off their shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.