Top Gear sparks Mexico complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hic molestus Latini non scio. :p

Yea, it is like stepping on a fire ant's nest.

IMER is like NPR just that it is way larger. Mexicans due to socio political and socio economical reasons are big radio listeners. Radio content has the most penetration in the nation (of 116 million) and pissing off the biggest radio network that has 18 stations is not precisely wise.

This is getting more and more interesting every day. I almost want TG to make a mockery out of the apology or even ignore the demand to see what is the next level.

This is very very entertaining. And to think this is "just" a car show! Amazing.

i think this will continue on to the next ep. and topgear might apologize or just mock a letter and have a laugh =p

Cue the Mexicans: "Thank God for torrents!".

And you know what is funnier? Consuming a torrent is a violation of international copy right. It damages the entire production of the show by stopping income from what otherwise would have been a lucrative DVD or iTunes download.

I sort of used to feel guilty for getting the torrents (this is the ONLY torrent I allowed myself to download, and took it as a "warm gift from the people of Britain").

Now, I couldn't care less if it is damaging to BBC. Therefore, Final Gear has become one of Mexico's best friends.

I think I might even set up a large server to start seeding feeds.

This is getting more and more interesting every day. I almost want TG to make a mockery out of the apology or even ignore the demand to see what is the next level.

This is very very entertaining. And to think this is "just" a car show! Amazing.

How far do you think this will go?

Is there a response from Willman or any of the boys?

Mexico's pretty much burning pictures of hammond at this point, and trust me... you want Mexico on your side :S

And you know what is funnier? Consuming a torrent is a violation of international copy right. It damages the entire production of the show by stopping income from what otherwise would have been a lucrative DVD or iTunes download.
You do know about the unique way the BBC is funded, right? I have yet to see a DVD with TG as it aired on it... an official one, mind you.

Mexico's pretty much burning pictures of hammond at this point, and trust me... you want Mexico on your side :S

I hope it isn't going to go further than this, I hope they put an end to this episode here and now, but I fear we'll see more in this week's show. No responses that anyone's aware of yet, probably they're being saved for Sunday.

As for people almost getting to the stage of burning photos of the TG3... every time someone on the TG team has said something controversial about a country, angry people have done various things. I remember after 14x01 (the Romanian episode) that several hackers from around here defaced various British websites calling TG "a piece of crap" and "a show that destroys the image of a country".

some stuff surfacing on YouTubes <facepalm> ...

EDIT:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/feb/02/top-gear-viewer-sues-bbc

A Mexican who saw the BBC's Top Gear programme on Sunday, in which her compatriots were described as "lazy, feckless, flatulent [and] overweight", has instructed lawyers to bring a test case against the show under a new equality law.

Lawyers for Iris de la Torre, a 30-year-old jewellery design student in London, accused the BBC of using racism to boost ratings and said the case could cost the corporation up to ?1m in damages. They demanded an investigation by the BBC and suspension of the show.

Last edited:
Did they go too far dissing mexicans? No!
Where they funny? Yes, I found it funny.

Now, demanding an apology from the BBC for something said in a humorous way in a tv-show known for ranting is just ridiculous.
Either you laugh at it, or you don't.
All these stuck-up people need to take themselves less seriously, acknowledge that humour is humour (even though you don't find it funny) and have a cookie!

Yea, it is like stepping on a fire ant's nest.

IMER is like NPR just that it is way larger. Mexicans due to socio political and socio economical reasons are big radio listeners. Radio content has the most penetration in the nation (of 116 million) and pissing off the biggest radio network that has 18 stations is not precisely wise.

Me non scitis dixi hunc molestus Latini linguae non scire. Latini Italiae non Americanae sunt. :p

Last edited:
You do know about the unique way the BBC is funded, right? I have yet to see a DVD with TG as it aired on it... an official one, mind you.

There are many TG DVDs here in the USA, there are complete seasons of it, some say "Includes Polar Special."

You can buy episodes from iTunes and BBC America does receive a healthy profit from sponsors. In fact, the shows in the USA are edited for time so that they can include spots. This is why so many people rather download the torrents.

And yes, I know how the BBC is funded, this is why I said:

"I used to take it as a warm gift from the people of UK."

LOL

(1) Rule Britannia is the anthem for Great Britain, not England, so they have the wrong flag.
(2) What an el cheapo flag.

For anyone who isn't aware, flag burning doesn't annoy the British like it does the americans. If you want to go out and spend your own (crazy foreign) money on a flag to burn, you carry one.

Last edited:
Me scitis dixi hunc molestus Latini linguae non scire. :p

But Spanish, although it is a "Romantic" language (not that it is romantic as in smooch smooch, that is the way they are called) and does have a root and relationship to many Latin words, cant be understood by knowing latin itself.

I will agree that if this is an English forum, the respectful thing is to speak and write in the de facto language.

Saw the headline "Ambassador complains over anti-Mexican remarks" and knew it had to be Top Gear. While I agree that it did seem a little 'mean-spirited' in parts, apparently that's just what you get when you decide to make a sports car. After all, Top Gear's been 'taking the mickey' out of the rest of us (the US, Germany, France, Italy, etc) for years. Mexico only just threw their hat in the ring, though, so it came all at once rather than over the course of the past 7 years. I guess that's how you know you've arrived. Welcome to the club, Mexico.

It will go as far as the BBC wants to take it.

But Spanish, although it is a "Romantic" language (not that it is romantic as in smooch smooch, that is the way they are called) and does have a root and relationship to many Latin words, cant be understood by knowing latin itself.

I will agree that if this is an English forum, the respectful thing is to speak and write in the de facto language.

I have no understanding of Spanish, I just mock it when used. :p

Hence:

Me non scitis dixi hunc molestus Latini linguae non scire. Latini Italiae non Americanae sunt.

"You do not understand me I said I do not know this molestation of Latin. Latins are of Italy not America."

EDIT: Props to me for a glaring grammatical error in my Latin. Points go to the first to point it out.

Last edited:
Saw the headline "Ambassador complains over anti-Mexican remarks" and knew it had to be Top Gear. While I agree that it did seem a little 'mean-spirited' in parts, apparently that's just what you get when you decide to make a sports car. After all, Top Gear's been 'taking the mickey' out of the rest of us (the US, Germany, France, Italy, etc) for years. Mexico only just threw their hat in the ring, though, so it came all at once rather than over the course of the past 7 years. I guess that's how you know you've arrived. Welcome to the club, Mexico.

This is my favorite post so far. Very well done sir. All points taken. Still... very entertaining to see all this debacle.

And I personally wouldn't mind watching Hammond crash once again at Top Speed inside a jet engine with wheels. Maybe this time he'll do the job right. I am sure I am joined in this "mean" sentiment by millions at this point in time.

Even though I understand the irritation of some forum members about what was said in the last episode of Top Gear, I cannot really sympathize. Instead I have a strange feeling of witnessing some double moral standards here.

Because I would bet some money on the fact, that the same Mexicans, who now complain about having been insulted, laughed at Top Gear's insults of other nationalities before. I'm quite sure they laughed or grinned at tasteless comments about Americans being incesteous rednecks, Germans still all being Nazis inside or French being lazy peasants who burn cars all the time.

It's all funny, ha ha ha -- as long as you're not on the recieving end of the TG humor.

So now Mexicans have gotten their share. So what? :rolleyes: Take it like men, for crying out loud. Being insulted by Top Gear is almost a commendation. Get over it. I also sometimes frown about some tasteless jokes on Germans invading Poland, or when James May repeatedly uses the Auschwitz motto "Arbeit macht frei" (Work sets you free) in various TG episodes.

No one ever complained about that, though... and frankly I'd rather be called fat and lazy, than repeatedly being mentioned in one breath with Hitler's regime.

Top Gear is an entertainment show with a strong emphasis on satire and parody. Anyone who takes the show too serious, clearly has trouble with perception in my eyes. The show lives from generalizations and clich?s. Watching it is knowing that. Don't like that kind of humor? Then don't watch it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But when perception becomes selective, when you laugh about jokes on Americans, the French, Germans, Australians or anyone else and then complain, when you are a victim of TG humor for a change, I call that hypocrisy.

Last edited:
This is my favorite post so far. Very well done sir. All points taken. Still... very entertaining to see all this debacle.

And I personally wouldn't mind watching Hammond crash once again at Top Speed inside a jet engine with wheels. Maybe this time he'll do the job right. I am sure I am joined in this "mean" sentiment by millions at this point in time.

So wishing someone dead is the same as calling someone lazy?

Last edited:
So wishing someone death is the same as calling someone lazy?

It is just a "mean spirited" comment. That is all... right? Just good old, funny haha? I am just saying that observing Hammond's head detach from its body and be projected towards the Hammer Head would be quite comical.

But it is all in good fun and just "mean spirited."

So now Mexicans have gotten their share. So what? :rolleyes: Take it like men, for crying out loud. Being insulted by Top Gear is almost a commendation.

I think you'll find that 1) not everyone is a TG fan and 2) some Mexicans might have a view of their own. I'm not Mexican, I'm well versed in TG humour, but when he said that I knew instantly that this time there would be a shitstorm. And so it has proved.

Part of me wonders if this is some kind of show of solidarity to Keys and co over on Sky. If it is, and considering that they might find themselves in a similar spot (and they might) then I guess they'll get exactly what they wanted?

Or could the truth be that Hammond's brain and mouth were not operating in harmony?

And another thing - TG is now shown here in "uncut" format, the new series starts this week. I wonder if they might just cut that bit? I would bet my M6 that they do, and that says it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.