Top Gear sparks Mexico complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.
And let's not get crazy by calling Mexican food 'complex'. Its is delicious and I eat it 1-2 times a week. But it is pretty much the same ingredients in each dish and just called something different.

Reminded me of the Chili story from Ron White:
http://new.music.yahoo.com/ron-white/tracks/cincinnati-chili--2084716

Just because you can't get good Mexican food in your area doesn't mean its not complex. The large majority of "Mexican Food" restaurants in this country are "Tex-Mex" or very Americanized versions of their food. I've never been to Mexico, but there are some very authentic restaurants in my area that do some incredible food. If you never had a good Mole` sauce, then you are missing out. Also, real Mexican food varies heavily by region and they all have their own style.

Honestly, that was the only real complaint I had with what they said. I've had Italian food that looked like a plate of "sick covered in cheese" but that doesn't mean I think all Italian food is like that.

At the end of the day, I've met very few Mexican immigrants that fit any of the "stereotype" stuff that they said though, and find them to be incredibly hard working, generally intelligent people. I've had issues with them too, mostly in communication (not being a spanish speaker) but in general I don't really care.

If you want to get a real feel for true Mexican cuisine, check out anything that Chef Rick Bayless does. He has a PBS series called "Mexico: One Plate at a Time" where he goes to places all over Mexico and explores their regional cuisine and then teaches you how to make a similar dish at home. He is also the winner of "Top Chef Masters" season 1.

Well it sorta came from nowhere, which I think suprised most of us. But really, would you get offended if Clarkson said your clothes are unfashionable and your musical taste is outdated? Or would you just remember he has pubes for hair, is fat, and listens to prog-rock. I'll bet more people went out to investigate proper Mexican food after that airing than normally would've.

Ahem....

I said Hammond is xeno ph? bic..
Labcoatguy said:
I liked it. But it takes time for people to pick up on subtle jokes and puns like that one.
Ohhh, I get it now :clap:

Oh yes, Mexican food... I miss it!

Very few American restaurants carry something even similar to what true Mexican food is. It's like if we said that an Arby's Panini is a true Italian Panini like the one you could get from a street vendor in Rome.

Mole alone has more than 30 ingredients, including chocolate and 6 types of pepper. Who would know that making a salty dish out of chocolate as central ingredient would be so incredibly yummy delicious.

I am serious guys, if you ever ever get the chance to eat the real deal Poblano Mole... by all means do.

Abuelo's is a Mexican restaurant that is close, not right there but the flavors are close.

The best Mexican restaurant I know, is a mom and pop shop half a block from my house, which I wish was open right now... (I am starving) and is run by a Mexican family from Mexico City. It is the typical food you would find on a Mexican home.

Not at all fajitas, and nachos, and cheese this, and cheese the other.

What made it to the USA as Mexican food is what in Mexico is considered "Antojitos" AKA "Mexican Fast Food" its OK... I mean there are some good tacos out there sometimes (in gas stations run by Mexicans generally speaking). But it is not at all representative of Mexican High Cuisine.

I hope and wish everyone here some day gets the chance to eat a delicious "Barbacoa" or "Carnitas."

Suffice is to say that true Barbacoa is extremely hard to find, I only of 1 place in Texas that makes it. It is goat meat which has been seasoned and cooked for an entire night. The cooking process is to dig a hole and put the goat inside a layer of banana leafs and then a layer of maquey (a cactus) and bury the thing and then start a fire on top. The heat from the fire above cooks the meat to a point where the meat falls of the bone and it is a delicacy.

Carnitas... oh my God!

I would sing the British national anthem right now for a plate of carnitas with some salsa... good God I am hungry.

1. Top Gear makes fun of being the "Favorite Factual Program" by including "only one fact" per show.
2. Jeremy writes about "Heresey of Thought".
3. Top Gear pushes both "Fact and Thought" out of the window by providing the most damning stereotyping of a previously untouched target, to highlight the hipocracy of both the high regard for Top Gear as a "Factual Program" and those who cannot tell the difference between a (somewhat lame) joke and their arse.

Should this be on the #1 Car Show in the World, probably not. Many of us would prefer a few more facts and a little less shite. However, so long as there are people who take what is said on a "little old car show" seriously, it will continue.

What is happening in Egypt, serious. Top Gear, not so much.

mexico is a making a car?

Last edited:
(...) And the self-confidence of the French couldn't even be scratched with a diamond knife.
(...)
Taking Paris (again) might do the trick :rolleyes:
In all seriousness though, Top Gear has made way more fun of many other nations and stereotypes, with its main targets being the USA (fat, can't build cars), Australia (criminals, can't build anything), Germany (basically we're all still Nazis, dreaming of world domination - but at least we can build cars!) and France (being lazy peasents who can't build cars). The number of TG episodes including at least one joke about at least one of these countries far outweight the number of "neutral" episodes. I really can't see what all the mexican fuzz is about...

I'm outraged that there haven't been more Canadian jokes on Top Gear!!!!

We have tons of lazy do nothings in this country! I'm writing a letter of protest to the High Commission as soon I can be arsed to do it.... probably...maybe.

AND it's going to have to be hand delivered because we have the worst/most expensive internet in the world.

That's the spirit!

Quick thought.

Before the last episode I wasn't aware of any regular FG members from Mexico (apologies if I missed you). Now we have some and :welcome:

However this whole place is teaming with upside down people and yet from the same episode I hear not one complaint of their countrymen being driven to an airfield for a challenge in a prison van.

Has the Australian ambassador launched complaints in the media? No. Has a backpacking Australian woman who works behind a bar in London hired a bunch of equality lawyers to sue the BBC? No. Was the description of Mexicans used by the TG guys based purely on a stereotypical and largely outdated image purely to make fun of the idea of a Mexican sports car because to us it's a bit of a left-field idea? Yes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...cism-test-case-following-Mexico-comments.html

:hmm: Should the rest of the world unwad its panties and get on with life rather than over analysing every single thing that Clarkson et al say or do in order to take offence? Oh yes.

As MWF says above Australians got their share of jokes too. Even, Clarkson said in this very episode that everyone is talking about something along the lines of "surprising result, as if there was a competition to invade Poland and Germans came up last." Mexico just got a bigger share than others and for the first time. So shrug it off people, and I'm off to eat a burrito for lunch in the meantime.

Edit: Oh, and I still find it amusing that the whole world is talking about a joke on a TV show that aired only in UK, AFAIK.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
Oh, and I still find it amusing that the whole world is talking about a joke on a TV show that aired only in UK, AFAIK.

Utter Pirates! :)

^^^ excessive solar exposure has given us thick hides. Just glad Clarkson didn't start on our Ambassador (or High Commissioner to the Court of St James ... to give him his full title) ...... he's the sort of bloke who might enjoy a bit of squirrel tossing .. as offered by one of James May's clubs.

A final de cuentas estos ingleses solo han comido en el Taco Bell no saben nada de gastronom?a mexicana y lo peor es que nunca lo sabran, el tal Clarkson esta bien marrano y se pone a hablar de gordos flatulentos por favor!, y las otras pinches mariquitas esas de pelo alocado pinches viejos hipies, ?los Beatles ya murieron! ?quien chingados se creen?, pinches payasos, total mi coraje no va contra el pueblo hermano de Inglaterra solo contra estos tres pinches cochinitos que se creen superiores, saludos compadres.

A final de cuentas estos ingleses solo han comido en el Taco Bell no saben nada de gastronom?a mexicana y lo peor es que nunca lo sabran, el tal Clarkson esta bien marrano y se pone a hablar de gordos flatulentos por favor!, y las otras pinches mariquitas esas de pelo alocado pinches viejos hipies, ?los Beatles ya murieron! ?quien chingados se creen?, pinches payasos, total mi coraje no va contra el pueblo hermano de Inglaterra solo contra estos tres pinches cochinitos que se creen superiores, saludos compadres.
That's what she said. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.