Top Gear Special to be shown in High Definition

What would be the point in that? 540p is lower than SD in the UK (576p)

Pal is 720x576. 960x540 is still more pixels (518,000 vs 414,000). But it's convenient because scaling by powers of 2 is quick and easy for a computer to do.

A little better than DVD, not quite 720p. But it's quick to crank out because it's 1/2 height/width.

I just noticed at the homepage that you guys will be releasing the 1080p version, may I ask what encoding will you guys be using?

I'm hoping there will be a .mp4 version so I can play it directly on my PS3 (as well as xbox 360s)

thanks for the effort guys!

It's in a MKV container. We didn't rip it, but we have permission from the ripper to.

Any chance for a 720p .h264 mkv-contained variant?

Planet earth is ripped in that configuration, and each 52 minute episode comes out to 1.5 gig - certainly more manageable than 7 gigs! And believe me, it still looks absolutely stunning even with all that compression.

Yes, a 720p rip will eventually be released. ;)

Just watched it via SKY HD. The PQ was awesome.

We have only had HD TV for 12 months in the UK and this is one of the best filmed programmes I've seen. Beautiful scenery.

Attn:Mr Wilman - ALL FUTURE TG PROGRAMMES MUST BE FILMED IN HD. I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH IT COSTS. JUST GET IT DONE!

Info about BBC-HD:

It's broadcast as DVB-S2, 1080i, H.264.

As it is not encrypted and BBC has no intentions presently of encrypting it, all you need to get the signal into a PC is an inexpensive DVB-S2 satellite tuner PCI card (around 50?)... oh and a dual-core CPU to actually watch the HD stuff ;)
In any case it makes ripping BBC programming very easy.

Sky's encrypted stuff is more tricky, I have the gear to do it at the office but it is just VERY expensive: Sky HD box, HDMI -> HD-SDI converter with HDCP support (expensive), HD-SDI capture board in a quad Xeon workstation and a 2TB RAID array (HIDEOUSLY expensive)... the rips look amazing but I'd expect that from kit worth almost 20.000? o_O

Front page says 1080p - not sure how you plan to do that when neither the BBC nor Sky chuck a 1080p signal out.

720p or 1080i only. 720p being better.

I've only seen a 1080i rip so far. :blink:
Oh well, I'll keep looking out for 720p, since it obviously takes time to encode etc.

I can always enjoy what my Sky box managed to record for now :mrgreen:

Can I request, eventually, not now, something that compresses better? Maybe a Divx AVI, maybe MP4. After I watch the MKV I would like to keep it but 7 gigs is hurtful. Or maybe I'll just get the 720p. I'd like something smaller to keep around as a permanent archive.

Thanks for all your work!

there will be a 720p release later.

And yes, this is 1080p.

The newsgroup rip says it's 1440 x 1080, DD2.0, 1080i.

Isn't that 1.33:1 or 4:3 and isn't it supposed to be 16:9?

Meh, I guess I'll watch that rip and then download the .mkv from the torrent, thanks a bunch guys!

i think i'll wait for the 720p, should be ernough quality wise on my 1680x1050 screen and 7gigs is too much for me. :)