Top Gear: The Great Adventures Vol.3 - Blu-Ray release up for preorder!

odd, i can understand the Bolivia special being in there (especially since it was filmed in HD) but i'm seriously going to have to rack the brains on what the other one might be... Romania?

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/13439074/Top-Gear-The-Great-Adventures-Vol-3/Product.html

But please do check this one!
It has the additional info. Can't be absolutely sure though, but sounds good. Especially: DVD Extras include an exclusive commentary with James May, Andy Wilman and Crew.

ah i see, Disc One is the Bolivia Special and Disc Two is the directors cut of the US and Romania specials, although the commentary from James May is going to be worth the price overall.

I am very excited by this. I've bought the Polar Special in Blu-ray, the Botswana and Vietnam special on DVD (for the commentaries) and I am definitely getting this new Blu-ray release!

Am hoping now the show is filmed in HD that series 14 will hit Blu-Ray soon! Have been waiting for seasons 10 and 11 in blu-ray seeing both have released on dvd in Australia recently but didn't realise they weren't shotin HD. Pity would love to see Series 10 great driving roads in blu-ray quality, loved the GT3-RS snd the Superleggera.

Have ordered this blu-ray from Amazon bring on march 22nd!

Does anyone have this now it's out? I'm set to receive the blu-ray for my birthday next week.

Yes, I just received it and have already watched it.
As a quick summary the Bolivia special is even better than the original tv version, more bantering between James, Jeremy and Richard and more cocking about. Though only some 10-15 minutes longer, that makes a difference :) And the commentary track (including James May ;) ) is as good as always giving some information on how they recorded the scenes and especially what was going on behind the scenes

The trip to Romania IMO is also better than the original version but the trip to Bonneville doesn't really add that much more. I'm going to have to watch them again, just to be sure what was added :D There is no commentary track on disc two.

All in all its worth getting this

we can't get this over here in canada can anyone rip it up in so that i may download it and watch it here in canada ty

I've heard reports that there isn't a region lock on the disc, but the videos are in 1080i/pal (or 1080i/50) which NTSC tvs can't handle.

I can't confirm it exactly but Pal tv here in the UK can display NTSC if the dvd player the disc is in can play it. I would've thought the reverse is also true...?

I don't have the blu-ray version of this because I don't really do new technology until I'm certain it's not going the way of the betamax but I have the normal one and it's wicked. James' commentary is excellent and Andy's voice is so lush I listen to it before bed so I can have nice dreams. Lovely.

I thought Blu Ray didn't have region locks, my friends tell me that i can order american blu rays and play them on my european Playstation 3.

I'll be ordering this one off Play anyway, its guaranteed to work !

--
Can someone please tell me about the quality?
The second US special isn't in HD is it? - I doubt it but then again it doesn't make sense to have SD video on a Blu Ray release.
--

On an interesting side note, Wikipedia states that the original US special plus others was filmed with High Definition cameras.
Fantasize for yourself :cool:

I thought Blu Ray didn't have region locks...

The Blu-ray specification does offer the ability to "region code" a disc, but currently most US studios do not use it, with the exception of 20th Century Fox and MGM.

Last edited:
I think I can get my dad to buy this... he just got a Blu-Ray player this Christmas and we have yet to get any good Blu-Ray DVDs... :)

can any one confirm this

Well I live in the US and ordered the Polar Special on Blu-ray from Amazon.uk and on their site it says it is PAL format but it plays fine on my HDTV which doesn't support PAL. The Great Adventures Blu-ray says PAL as well so I'm going to assume it works. It should arrive in the mail next week. I'll give you a confirmation when it works.

Dunno, i've heard about ways around it.
Anyway, it outputs 720p IF the error is correct and thats not too bad.

Last edited: