Top Gear- The Perfect Road Trip

Does anyone know what piece of classical music is played in the beginning of this special where they are on that nice dual V8 boat and reveal the first part of the trip? I cannot find this episode listed in "whats the song" or on google for that matter. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Order it from Amazon.co.uk, even with shipping, it's bound to be less than the $60 that Amazon.com is charging. It's going to be the same version, I suspect (Region 2).

I just about pulled the trigger from Amazon.co.uk. It was going to cost US $30 including shipping. That's half the price on the US site. Will a Region 2 disc play in my US blu ray player?

Minor spoilers.

The ending was a bit of a let down, I mean they introduced the Mono but it didn't even get to taste the tarmac. Though the Mass Effect music at 1:22:29 in the DVD quite got me cheered up as that was an epic piece, that was supposed to lead to an epic moment.

At least I liked most of the challenges there. Wouldn't give it a full rating in my opinion though.

I quite liked the ending it was refreshing, I mean it's terrible that the french took all their money and told them their not aloud to drive in France anymore but it was unexpected and I kinda liked watching them hitchhike back to England.

Does anyone know what piece of classical music is played in the beginning of this special where they are on that nice dual V8 boat and reveal the first part of the trip? I cannot find this episode listed in "whats the song" or on google for that matter. Thank you :)

Felix Mendelssohn - Symphony No. 4 in A major, Op. 90 "Italian" - I. Allegro vivace

I thought it was rather brilliant. I was very entertained for the whole "hour and a bit". Laughed a few times, and man the volume of cars.

Definitely wins a re-watch some time down the road.

I found it painfully scripted and listening to them bitching about roadside attractions and foods got old fast. Why did they even bother with the races except to fill time? Anyone who's watched TGUK for any length of time knows Jeremy's going to cheat AND going to get away with it. Richard and James might as well have "Welcome" tattooed on their foreheads because they seem to be contractually Jeremy's doormats.

I wouldn't say it's a total waste of time but the writers were definitely taking a piss when they came up with this DVD.

I find this dvd quite good, i enjoyed every bit. Although jeremy's usual cheating scheme gets a bit old, nevertheless that ending caught me by surprise. I have to say, 90kph is TOO SLOW for a motorway... Well what are ya kidding, its the french men and their little pathetic peugeots that made them all humorless about speed...:lol:

Last edited:
I have to say, 90kph is TOO SLOW for a motorway...

I did a bit of further reading and it seems the normal limit is still 130 km/h EXCEPT for the section leading up to those toll booths. They both missed the transition sign to 90 km/h and thought they were only doing 11-13 over the 130 limit (minor wrist slap) when in fact they were 57-59 over which is a major fine and automatic license confiscation. The fun part is Alberta's provincial government is considering similar penalties to curb speeding except you'd lose your license AND your vehicle all in one go in addition to the fine.

I just about pulled the trigger from Amazon.co.uk. It was going to cost US $30 including shipping. That's half the price on the US site. Will a Region 2 disc play in my US blu ray player?

Honestly, I don't know. I never buy Blu-Rays, so I don't know how fussy they are, region-wise. I have seen the odd complaint/review on Amazon that people have had trouble playing imported Blu-rays, so it may be an issue. I do know that the DVDs I buy will not play in the North American machines, I had to buy an external DVD drive on a previous visit to England, which I use for my imported DVDs.

I'm not an expert but I'll guess that the answer is "no" unless your player is a region-free type or you can get into it's settings and change the region to 2. The U.S. region is 1.

Some of the reviews that I was referring to mentioned still having issues, even with a region free player - it would only get as far as the menus. Doesn't mean it won't work, considering how many episodes/specials/etc have been put out, I've only seen a few negative comments, so those people could have had either faulty players or a faulty disc.

quite good this, much better than Jeremy's solo dvds
I'm puzzled about the bit in Monaco, what did they prove driving the Bugatti and Lambo? I also fail to see the point of the model T...

Ending was a nice twist, surely they could have hitched a ride with the camera crew and driven the gt3 and Mono on the track? Or is that considered a public road aswell?

I'm puzzled about the bit in Monaco, what did they prove driving the Bugatti and Lambo?

To prove that no matter how much you want to show off your car (Aventador) someone else will come along with something nicer and more expensive (Veyron) that'll put your car to shame.

I also fail to see the point of the model T...

The challenge was to get a car nice enough for the valets to keep it there, but since they argued that something better will always some along, they got a car that they wouldn't be able to move. :D

well yes obviously, but they needed 2 million worth of supercars to prove that? Also they could have given the valet an old TVR since they're impossible to comprehend also...

lot of wasted episode time in those 2 bits (which Id like to see them use for an epic Porsche GT3 vs BAC Mono race)

I really enjoyed it!

On a side note - I really like TG and want to support it, but when it's much easier to just download it using bit torrent than buying it, then you know that there's a problem. These days people want everything right away - who is going to wait for a dvd/bluray for a couple of weeks when you can download it in less than an hour for free. Please BBC, make it worthwhile to buy your product. I really like the show no matter how scripted it gets, and I really want to support it, but I'm not going to pay up the ass and wait weeks to get it, especially when it's served on a platter for free. Food for thought.

well yes obviously, but they needed 2 million worth of supercars to prove that? Also they could have given the valet an old TVR since they're impossible to comprehend also...

lot of wasted episode time in those 2 bits (which Id like to see them use for an epic Porsche GT3 vs BAC Mono race)
I think a new GT3 is probably too much of big deal to just go in a Christmas special DVD for its first appearance on the show.