Top Gear The Worst Car in The History of The World DVD & Blue-ray

The Panda is hardly what I'd call "rare" or "future classic".. it's a mass produced, cheap, sensible car. Destroying one is like destroying a washing machine (an old washing machine in this case). So, who cares? JC destroying a G-Series 911 in one of his older videos was a lot harder to watch for me.. even the Maserati Biturbo didn't deserve to be squashed IMO.. but the Panda..? Meh..

Anyway: I thought it was a pretty solid effort... even though they spent a little too much time on the good cars and didn't focus quite enough on the bad ones. And using a modern day M5 as the yardstick against two US luxury cars from the 70s? Should have been a Mercedes 6.3 or something similar from the period.

The ending was ok I thought .. at least they didn't do the obvious (throw the car off a cliff/blow it up/etc. )

I liked their car choices (both good and bad) and (as mentioned before) I always like JC and JM presenting together.

All in all: Pretty good stuf... but not really enough to make up for the lack of "actual" Top Gear this winter.. :(

S.

Anyone looking for the soundtracks from this DVD? It definitely deserves a "What's That Song?" thread. It's an official Top Gear DVD after all.

I've heard some really great songs. Especially the one around minute 39, before the "porsche 911" argument. And another one around the 14th minute when the Ferrari F50 is introduced. I'd love to find them. Help?

The Panda is hardly what I'd call "rare" or "future classic".. it's a mass produced, cheap, sensible car. Destroying one is like destroying a washing machine (an old washing machine in this case). So, who cares? .. but the Panda..? Meh..

<_<:mad:

My suspicion with the cars they wreck is that they're obtained cheap as either insurance write-offs or they're knackered through some clot not putting any oil in the engine.

But the point about the crane is valid. It would cost thousands to hire the crane, do all the safety stuff and then record it. And that's before you've considered JC and JM's day rates.

Put simply, one or two cars are small fry.

I still don't like the destruction though, and in this case it was slightly pointless because it didn't really sit with the rest of the programme.

That said, I throughly enjoyed the structure of this one. And I sort of like the lack of Hammond. May and Clarkson just work so well together, they're a joy to watch.

I really lol'd at the beginning when Jeremy introduced James :D Their banter almost makes up for some weaker segments.

The end was at least unexpected if weird, but then "it's an old Ford, you could start it with a spoon" :mrgreen:

When they say that the LFA's biggest problem is the Nissan GT-R, they have to realize that the same can be said about all other supercars.

I actually threw this out there amongst our merry band of (very) amateur racers (in very cheap cars). Between them though, they've driven lots of supercars and the concensus seems to be the GTR is great on paper and as a journalist, but partly due to weight and cheaper materials it's hard on its parts and the gearbox is a chronic cause of problems. Admittedly it's not the only supercar like this (R8, pre-430 Ferrari's), Porsches overall seem to stand up better than most to heavy track use.

As for the LFA, we have a mechanic who actually builds touring cars and had never heard of the LFA. He took one look at a full spec sheet though and immediately clocked why it's so expensive: exotic materials like Titanium on an awful lot of the internals + the carbon fibre body. Chances are the LFA will stand up to serious abuse and last a long time, the jury is still out on the GTR.

That was a nice way to spend an hour and a bit. It could have been way longer, they did not even touch all the awful cars.

Was that really Richard's house?

No. The house here looks rather suburban. Richard has a lot of land with his farm in Ross. You can see his big garage in Miracles of Nature (including a cameo by Oliver), and he needs somewhere to park his helicopter (a Robinson R44, viz. the latest episode of Crash Course). The 'Stang, though, may be his.

Most likely a stunt/prop house, but I think there will be many TV viewers out there plugging that address into google maps and driving there just to confirm if its true or not.

That was a nice way to spend an hour and a bit. It could have been way longer, they did not even touch all the awful cars.

That's one of things I liked about this video. When Clarkson and James are together doing segments, there is a good chemistry that is different from all 3 being on the screen together. Clarkson and James TV personas try to come across as polar opposites, but they are those opposites that are way more similar than either care to admit.

Last edited:
Most likely a stunt/prop house, but I think there will be many TV viewers out there plugging that address into google maps and driving there just to confirm if its true or not.

Haven't checked this yet, but isn't it the same house as the one they used in the "best cheap car for a teenager"-challenge from S13? You know.. that nighttime-scene where they try to drive up to the house in their cars as quietly as possible...

S.

It wasn't his house. He's got some castle/manor house rather than a suburban nightmare like the one featured. However,

but I think there will be many TV viewers out there plugging that address into google maps and driving there just to confirm if its true or not.

is unlikely. The address on the document was "Acacia Avenue". UK viewers will be aware that this address is traditionally used to denote any middle-class, suburban, domestic setting. It has cropped up in sitcoms, comedy sketches, stories and articles for as long as I can remember. It is an obvious fake, in the same vein as the "Bank of Money"

Mind you, I like the idea of a stunt house.

Last edited:

It wasn't his house. He's got some castle/manor house rather than a suburban nightmare like the one featured. However,

is unlikely. The address on the document was "Acacia Avenue". UK viewers will be aware that this address is traditionally used to denote any middle-class, suburban, domestic setting. It has cropped up in sitcoms, comedy sketches, stories and articles for as long as I can remember. It is an obvious fake, in the same vein as the "Bank of Money"

Mind you, I like the idea of a stunt house.

Since Clarkson's Chipping Norton home location is known to the public, and Clarkson himself has complained that TG fans have driven like hooligans and wrecked their cars near his home, the other two are probably quite happy to keep their home locations secret.

Actually, I know where the other two live, and so do quite a few people. But, I'm more than happy to not be one of those stalker type people and emblazon it all over the net. :)

Haven't checked this yet, but isn't it the same house as the one they used in the "best cheap car for a teenager"-challenge from S13? You know.. that nighttime-scene where they try to drive up to the house in their cars as quietly as possible...

S.

The house is not the same,this house is in Blackwell village near Darlington. I was their postman for 5 years

Speaking of Bank of Money, I should watch that episode again... thanks Amie8!!

Had major hassles setting up the UV though. Initially went to the BBC site which seemed to create a UV account for me which listed me as being in the US so I couldn't activate it. In the end I ended up going to flixster and creating an account there, and then going through there to create a new UV account saying I lived in the UK.

Wondering if anybody's had luck on this -- tried a UK proxy, et al, but can't redeem the code. I suppose I can create a 2nd account but I'd love to have it show.

Last edited: